Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 03:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Hey all -

And Happy B'day Mattie!

I do the finances here - suppose that's no surprise since I'm a bookkeeper. I'm a bit anal with stuff. And after everything we went through in the last couple years with employment - we have 6 months expenses liquid in an account. Thank goodness we had that or who knows what would have happened.

We don't fight much regarding finances any more - I guess because we've had 24 years to work out the kinks, although I do get frustrated sometimes because he seems to think that no matter what, I'll always make it work somehow.

Sometimes it can be a lot of pressure to be the one keeping all the balls in the air.

Our system on most purchases is - if it's big, we discuss. And if he has some hair brained idea of something he wants to do that there isn't money for, I just starting laughing. That's our system.
Your system sounds very similar to our system...

Old 08-14-2011, 04:18 PM

Just putting my feet up.... DS just told me he is completely caught up with his homework -yay! He had a couple friends over to help him with physics. They took care of 1/2 a peach cobbler and some ice cream.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,168,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just putting my feet up.... DS just told me he is completely caught up with his homework -yay! He had a couple friends over to help him with physics. They took care of 1/2 a peach cobbler and some ice cream.
What year do they normally take physics? My high school progression was Bio, Chem, then Physics, but I think schools do things differently now?

Old 08-14-2011, 05:28 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,924,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
What year do they normally take physics? My high school progression was Bio, Chem, then Physics, but I think schools do things differently now?
Aconite - that's the progression here. DS took some sort of earth science thing in 9th I think. Then Bio, Chem and now Physics.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 PM

No...it's pretty much the same. He could have taken biology as a freshman but I think it was only offered as an honors course and I thought he might enjoy physical science instead...

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,020,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How many of you CD mom's who rock manage the money?

How do you guys handle finances in your marriage? I'm looking for ideas. Hubby is great about any arrangement.
We've always had a joint account and I've always paid the bills. Fortunately, neither of us are big spenders. We have a savings account for emergencies and try not to dip into it. Occasionally we do for a vacation or Christmas, or something.

For something like a car repair, we do it when it is needed and put it on the credit card. If ever I can't pay the credit card bill at the end of the month, it comes out of savings. Since neither of us are big spenders, that doesn't happen very often. In fact, we put pretty much everything on the CC, and pay it off each month. Our only debt is the house.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 PM

8,392 posts, read 3,470,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
We've always had a joint account and I've always paid the bills. Fortunately, neither of us are big spenders. We have a savings account for emergencies and try not to dip into it. Occasionally we do for a vacation or Christmas, or something.

For something like a car repair, we do it when it is needed and put it on the credit card. If ever I can't pay the credit card bill at the end of the month, it comes out of savings. Since neither of us are big spenders, that doesn't happen very often. In fact, we put pretty much everything on the CC, and pay it off each month. Our only debt is the house.
Hi all

I'm a credit card fan too - not being an impulse buyer it works well for me. All my bills are paid via CC, then I pay the CC bill by the due date, so as not to incur any interest charges. It makes paying for unexpected expenses easy, and gives me a few weeks before I have to find the money. I also like that I can see at a glance, from just the CC bill, what I'm spending each month.

For some reason, though, I can't bring myself to pay for groceries with a credit card (it just seems wrong somehow!)... so I use my debit card at the supermarket and get cash out at the same time to pay for minor purchases through the week.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,020,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Hi all

I'm a credit card fan too - not being an impulse buyer it works well for me. All my bills are paid via CC, then I pay the CC bill by the due date, so as not to incur any interest charges. It makes paying for unexpected expenses easy, and gives me a few weeks before I have to find the money. I also like that I can see at a glance, from just the CC bill, what I'm spending each month.

For some reason, though, I can't bring myself to pay for groceries with a credit card (it just seems wrong somehow!)... so I use my debit card at the supermarket and get cash out at the same time to pay for minor purchases through the week.
I used to to do that, and was shocked when we moved and changed banks, that my debit card won't work like that! I can use it like a cc at the grocery store but I can't use it like a debit card and get cash. So stupid. The bank makes up for it by having a branch on every corner, so it isn't THAT big of an inconvenience.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,503,399 times
Hi Kobber - how are you?

I have friends that use their credit card for everything. They have their mortgage, car payments, and all their monthly bills automatically paid from the CC, then they pay it off each month. It gets them massive amounts of air miles and other bonuses. I don't care to use a credit card, so just admire them from afar.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 08-14-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hi Kobber - how are you?

I have friends that use their credit card for everything. They have their mortgage, car payments, and all their monthly bills automatically paid from the CC, then they pay it off each month. It gets them massive of air miles and other bonuses. I don't care to use a credit card, so just admire them from afar.
I'm right there with you Zimbo. My coworkers pay everything with cards and constantly switch cards for the best deals. I can't get there quite yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting