Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,924,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yeah, I don't know what it is about drywalling. It's not hard to do, but somehow it's just the most taxing. Basements always end up much more expensive than you budget for. By the time you do plumbing, heating/cooling, and electric you have boken the bank. The only room we have'nt finished in ours yet is the bar.
That's the most important part! lol!

When we finished the basement, we didn't do the bathroom at first because of the expense. We ended up doing it a few years later (and it's probably the best bath in the house!). I think it cost way more than doing the rest of the whole basement.

Master bath will be our next thing - but that's a few years down the line. If we had to hire someone to do the remodels, we'd probably never do them because of cost. It's expensive enough being able to do it all yourself!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,168,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Well, there's only one solution: It's time to go shopping! Shopping solves all problems! Should I go searching for the tote bag for my books or the interview outfit for my job search? Neither idea is turning me on today, but I can't waste money on something that isn't needed.
Maybe I'll go furniture shopping instead! I'll safely not spend money there but at least I can daydream about furniture to go with the new floor!

I don't think retail therapy is about things you need. It's about indulgent stuff. Girly stuff.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hopes - I think you are very patient regarding the potentially endless house remodel project by MrHopes. I don't know that I wouldn't be threatening some harm to his cajones if MrFR didn't get it sorted. When we first moved to Philly, we saw several houses for rent where you could pay a nominal rent if you were a contractor in return for remodeling the house. I'm really glad none of them panned out, in hindsight it would have been a terrible strain on us and I don't think we would have survived it.
When I was tossing stuff from the attic, I found my boxes of stuff we stored there 20 years ago, including my grandmother's china! I have been living with construction throughout our entire marriage. For many years, I felt like I was camping.

What's funny is how I've gotten comfortable with it. We moved our living room and dining room furniture into our kitchen last fall. It's still there! It's has been like living in a small apartment for a year.

I can't hold it against him though. He injured his shoulder shortly afterwards in November. He didn't recover from his January surgery until June.

Hey, I got screen doors this summer! I've wanted them for years! Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
We have been working on our house for 6 years now, all big projects. The problem is MrZim travels a lot, so we work on it when we can. I always maintain that if a relationship can withstand doing major hands-on renovation projects together, it can pretty much withstand anything. The breaking point for us nearly came when dry-walling the 1700 sq ft basement. Every dry wall sheet that I carried down the stairs nearly ended up broken over MrZim's head!
Isn't sanding drywall fun! I hated digging up the foundation to install a french drain and a new main sewer line more though.

Hubby gutted this house in the early 80s. He installed new plumbing, electrical, drywall, kitchen, bathroom, flooring, windows, etc. When I moved in the early 90s, there were drop ceilings, which I insisted had to go! So I lived through the drywall ceilings being installed and then he decided to redo the walls in the rooms that were his earlier drywall period. He installed new carpeting for my arrival, but we have long since destroyed that raising children and puppies. Hubby didn't want to replace the flooring until everything else was done. When we're done with the flooring, the kitchen cabinets need to be replaced because they are 30 years old now. They're really ugly, always were. (I guess this is a long way of saying that you'll be doing it all over again in two decades! )

Sometime before winter, we need to tear off the detached garage roof and replace it. Not just the shingles, we need to repair some beams or whatever they're called. Hubby says the garage roof won't make it through another winter. Fortunately, we installed a beautiful roof on the house five years ago.

Our neighbors gave us some left over siding, so the entire garage is getting a makeover. I need to figure out the color scheme though. The house is white (eventually will be replaced) with a medium grey roof. The siding for the garage is rich taupe. That totally doesn't go with my original plans for the house. I had planned on the house being light grey. Guess not anymore. LOL

I have no idea where we're going to get the money for all of this. It always works out. At least I already bought the unfinished oak hardwood flooring last year. I still need to find affordable tile for the kitchen that I can tollerate.

Hubby and I are lucky. Construction projects bond us. We really don't have any other common interests. We're like night and day in almost every single way, but it works. We make up for each other's shortcomings. We're the perfect example of opposites attract.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Well of course it never happened. There are no witnesses to it happening.
Well, probably very few who remember it firsthand, anyway...

Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Thanks for the birthday suggestions everyone....

I'm realizing our birthdays gifts/celebrations are much more modest/lowkey than most.....
Yeah, same here, MM. Finances have dictated so much major belt tightening my wallet has a 17inch waist. (Me, not so much.)

Last edited by Aconite; 08-31-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,924,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'd really love to have a finished basement, but I don't think it's going to happen in this house. I don't think we'll stay here forever, and it wouldn't be worth the investment. We've been decorating it in our minds for years, but it will have to wait a bit longer.
I will have to say - the basement was one of the best things we've done to this house. We hang out the most down there. It's where the big t.v., xbox, etc. I love not having all that in the main part of the house.

That being said, we'll probably stay in this house until one of us can't get up and down the stairs any more. It is a big investment and if you don't think you'll stay long, it's probably not worth it. We've been in this house 13 years. We love our tiny neighborhood.

They are building an assisted living place across the road outside our neighborhood. We told DS to just wheel us over there when we get to be too much of a pain.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Could be Scientologists. (Very anti-psychiatry.) I was wondering about them being on C-D just the other day. Sounds like something they'd do.
Oh, they're all over CD. Though they've been successful enough in the anti-med, anti-psychiatry areas that they don't need to get involved. Non-Scientologists are donning the tinfoil along with them. You should meet some of the nutcases I've run into in autism and autism parenting circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They totally weird me out. We lived near their headquarters in L.A. (Fin would know the big blue building) and I avoided them like the plague.
We used to live near from their other headquarters. Several of our neighbors were COS. They're...um...interesting.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
rkb....those were the same words coming out of my mouth 15 years ago...in this same house LOL....We really thought, when we bought it, we wouldn't be here more than 5 years....(in this house, we knew we'd stay in CO)...then I decided to seriously dial down work, then we just got busy with all the kids activities, etc etc...it was always something. Right now, with the economy as it is, I'm actually quite grateful we never made the financial leap to the houses I would have liked....although I do wish we had a finished basement still though because it would have given teens somewhere here to hang out. As it stands, my son and his group usually hang somewhere else - and only occasionally here....

Good morning all - happy end of August! Just heard today that we could hit record highs...and go on record as the hottest August....fabulous.

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-31-2011 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,737,981 times
Good Morning All!

Wow Fin that is really behind! Oooo the episodes after that get good! I will keep mum now.

The BBC should offer online membership service to watch EastEnders. I would do it.

Maybe I will write to the BBC and see what they say.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 36,991,174 times
Morning all. I'm off to a daring start of the day: real coffee. None of that decaf stuff. Yep, taking a walk on the wild side this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.