Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

I'm tempted to do hard wood throughout! Our upstairs carpet grosses me out. It was bad from the previous owners.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:45 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm tempted to do hard wood throughout! Our upstairs carpet grosses me out. It was bad from the previous owners.
We really did think about it. But cost wise right now - we just couldn't do the whole house. I was also really worried about the stairs. I've slipped on carpet before. So to do something that would really look good would have been really expensive.

When ever this carpet upstairs dies though - we will probably do the wood there as well. I will have to say though - the wood downstairs now really changes the sound in the house. Will take some getting used to.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Evening all...whew...long day at work then went out with my neighbor for a bit - her son is housesitting for us and wanted to give her a key as well has catch up.....I think I can get away with not going in to work tomorrow just checking email from home off and on.

Trying to keep up with Mattie's thread from time to time today and all I can think of is...

Hopes - truly sorry about TK. You know, there are some people who just don't get it and no matter how hard you work to try to help them help themselves it just doesn't sink in. Hopefully it will someday but it may not. But at some point, sad as it seems, you can't be more responsible for him than he is willing to be. In any event, glad to have you back.

jk - how does the carpet look? Are you happy with your choice?

OK - I want a Dyson too. I wish I could justify it but I can't at the moment. It is on my list though...

Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Yeah Hopes, sorry about TK too. But I'm still proud of you for trying. You did good, C-D Mom Who Rocks.

So I got all excited about the thought of this vac (oh what have I become ) - and then I realized we have wood floors and a couple of small shag rugs, and that it would be complete overkill. Bummer.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Hey FR - how are you and yours doing? How is MissFR these days? Enjoying her summer vacation?

I'm fidgety. I don't have to get up early tomorrow or anything...Not that I usually get up "early" but still..not having to get dressed for work is nice....

Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hopes - truly sorry about TK. You know, there are some people who just don't get it and no matter how hard you work to try to help them help themselves it just doesn't sink in. Hopefully it will someday but it may not. But at some point, sad as it seems, you can't be more responsible for him than he is willing to be. In any event, glad to have you back.
Hubby truly feels we need to give him a chance to work and save the money to move out. Of course, I can overrule hubby. I'm just weighing it all. Right now, I'm thinking it's best to sit him down and explain that he needs to make plans. He deserves to know that his stay here now has a time limit that will expire before summer ends.

As I've stated from the beginning, he's not bright. Here's an example: He called this evening to let me know he's sleeping over his friend's house, said he would be home by 3 to go to therapy with hubby. (We set him up with the same rehab as hubby so it would be easier for him to get to physcal therapy.) I told him that he needed to be home by 2 because hubby will be leaving for therapy at quarter after 2. He asks me, "What time is quarter after 2?" I tell him, "Two Fifteen." (I get these types of questions everyday! I always answer nicely but that doesn't change that I'm often inwardly surprised by the questions.) I hang up the phone and say to hubby, "What time is quarter after 2?" Hubby rolls his eyes but in a sweet way. And I said, "Maybe he truly doesn't understand the things he does wrong."

(Interestingly, I remember his father telling me a few years ago that he himself couldn't tell time when he graduated from high school. Really? Really? How is that possible? It's hard for me to comprehend because we went to high school together.)

This revelation, that he doesn't understand what he does wrong, doesn't mean I'm cutting him any slack. When I privately share my frustration with hubby, he always reminds me that TK will do whatever we tell him to do---as long as we are very specific. I'm very curious about his IQ, it's that low. He is barely functioning.

My girlfriend asked me how I could not have known how challenged he is. I've known him for 6 or 7 years. He has always been polite, friendly, happy, pleasant. My answer to my girlfriend was: "In all those years, I never tried to have a conversation of substance with him." If you think about it, that's how we know most of our children's friends---they walk in our doors, they smile, they make pleasant small talk.

Who would have ever guessed that we can be around borderline retarded for years and not know it. I asked my son how he couldn't have known, how he could have been friends with him all of these years (because my son is ridiculously intelligent). My son said that he always knew, but that TK was always loyal---like he could conquer the world with an army of TKs---and has a good sense of humor.

I'm rambling.

Thanks for the welcome wink.

Quote:
OK - I want a Dyson too. I wish I could justify it but I can't at the moment. It is on my list though...
I have the same problem. Then I realize that I could have had a Dyson (or many other things I keep myself from having) instead of doing things like spending all of that money on topsoil, compost, etc., over the past few days. My priorities are all wrong, clearly, or I would have a Dyson. LOL

Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Hey FR - how are you and yours doing? How is MissFR these days? Enjoying her summer vacation?

I'm fidgety. I don't have to get up early tomorrow or anything...Not that I usually get up "early" but still..not having to get dressed for work is nice....
We're doing very well, mm, thanks for asking! We are off on the pre k hunt this week. Going to some tours or whatever they are. Open house thingsies. I am astounded she's not a baby anymore. *sniff* (I know I keep saying that, but it really is a shock, even though I was told countless times by everyone that it goes super fast).

Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
We're doing very well, mm, thanks for asking! We are off on the pre k hunt this week. Going to some tours or whatever they are. Open house thingsies. I am astounded she's not a baby anymore. *sniff* (I know I keep saying that, but it really is a shock, even though I was told countless times by everyone that it goes super fast).
LOL FR....that's one of those things that you really can't "get" until you are there. DD will be graduating from college in a year but I can remember shopping for her "first day of kindergarten" outfit to this day. I totally remember what she wore and going with her that first day....seems like yesterday.....Enjoy every moment because they are fleeting - even though it won't always seem like it!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
LOL FR....that's one of those things that you really can't "get" until you are there. DD will be graduating from college in a year but I can remember shopping for her "first day of kindergarten" outfit to this day. I totally remember what she wore and going with her that first day....seems like yesterday.....Enjoy every moment because they are fleeting - even though it won't always seem like it!
Well thank you, I actually am reminding myself of that, especially if she's being very 4, IYKWIM.

I can't imagine college. Oh dear.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I loved the preschool years. They're so sweet. Every little thing is exciting to them. I too remember every moment of it like it was yesterday. It's amazing how time flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting