Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,924,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
but I hate, hate, hate when he travels. I apparently have lost the big girl pants and am back in my cranky pants today.
Don't feel bad! I don't have a little one any longer and I don't like it when mine travels either. And he has a ton of it coming up.

And it seems a lot harder making dinner for two than three. Why is that?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM

I love our little Used Book store. I just got DS three more books on the English Lit list for $7.28. Four more to go. Hopefully they'll call when in before they have to have them or I'll be ordering on Amazon I guess.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I love our little Used Book store. I just got DS three more books on the English Lit list for $7.28. Four more to go. Hopefully they'll call when in before they have to have them or I'll be ordering on Amazon I guess.
We recently got a used book store..they had some books posted they were looking for for English classes....I went through and found several in my home and took them in (found a few more but some I wanted to keep - they will not be getting my copy of To Kill a Mockingbird)....they don't give cash but store credit..which works for me....

Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 36,991,174 times
Quote:
Yeah, travel was easier when it was just the two of us, though I can't say I was fond of it then, either. Apparently, I am a creature of habit. Does Mr. Dew travel often?
He works as a consultant now so it fluctuates. Can be 4-5 days a week, can be none. He's at the mercy of other people's schedules but he has a "no weekends" rule which is very nice.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
We recently got a used book store..they had some books posted they were looking for for English classes....I went through and found several in my home and took them in (found a few more but some I wanted to keep - they will not be getting my copy of To Kill a Mockingbird)....they don't give cash but store credit..which works for me....
That is exactly how ours works as well. Although I have no store credit right now - but will turn most of these books back in when he's done.

At the end of last year, we got the list and I went in right away and put our name in on any they didn't already have. I also let her have a copy of the list which they love - so that they know what to take in.

Some books on the list we can get for free on the kindle. The teacher did say he doesn't care if they use a kindle, but does like it when they have a physical book to mark up, etc. So I'm now trying to get those. But the waiting list for the Piazza Tales is pretty darn long.....

Old 08-31-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
We recently got a used book store....
We are looking forward to the Half Price Books 20% off sale this weekend. Their largest store is a real drive from here so we'll make a day of it. Woo-hoo. High excitement in the desert. (Where it's STILL up over 110. Will it never end?)

Old 08-31-2011, 12:05 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,890,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Don't feel bad! I don't have a little one any longer and I don't like it when mine travels either. And he has a ton of it coming up.

And it seems a lot harder making dinner for two than three. Why is that?
Ugh - sorry to hear it! I totally agree about the difficulty of cooking for two - not sure what that's all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He works as a consultant now so it fluctuates. Can be 4-5 days a week, can be none. He's at the mercy of other people's schedules but he has a "no weekends" rule which is very nice.
Oy vey - nothing like some unpredictability, right? I like the "no weekends" rule!

One thing I've noticed with the changes in tech availability/global clients is that there seems to be this assumption that everyone should be working all the time - I've threatened to break DH's fingers if I catch him responding to work emails at midnight anymore. In a public health sense, though, I really wonder what impact having to be available all the time is going to have on us in the long run.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,890,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We are looking forward to the Half Price Books 20% off sale this weekend. Their largest store is a real drive from here so we'll make a day of it. Woo-hoo. High excitement in the desert. (Where it's STILL up over 110. Will it never end?)
Oh, I used to LOVE going to Half-Price Books!! I haven't found a good replacement used book store out here yet, though I'm sure there must be some. Although my absolute favorite used book store of all time is The Strand in Manhattan. The place just smells like old long-lost treasures. I seriously could spend weeks in there.

ETA: Sorry to hear about those temps!! Holy cow - are you guys roasting??

Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
Seems to me DD frequently purchases her college texts online - used from both Amazon and Half-Price....and then resells the ones she doesn't want/need to keep....

Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
ETA: Sorry to hear about those temps!! Holy cow - are you guys roasting??
Roasting is a good word for how we're doing. If we break 110 on Friday we break the record for consecutive days over 110. Which is just not a record you really want to make, lol. Even the native Zonies are complaining and usually they're very macho about being able to take the heat.

I really feel for the people with outside jobs. We're blessed to have a good a/c on the house and in the cars. (The pay-off will be when it's 70 in December.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.