Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Three things:

First, if you work in a medical field, your expectation of documentation is probably different than that of the schools. When talking with other parents in my role as a special needs advocate, I can guarantee that the people most disappointed by educational documentation are nurses. There simply may not have been an incident report filed, whether it should have been or not.

Second: document everything yourself. EVERYTHING. And keep a copy of it in a file drawer. Sick day excuses, disciplinary notes, emails to the teachers. Chances are good you'll never need that documentation-- but if you do, reconstructing after the fact is a bad idea.

Third: at least in this district, children have two files. There's the file with the usual-- grades, end of year test scores, etc. And then there's the "red file" (which isn't metaphorical, it's really red) which contains copies of EVERYTHING, including the note the teacher sent home in first grade about Johnny picking his nose in math class. I don't know if your district has an equivalent, but it's worth asking for. (And yes, they can require that you read it in the office, or in a conference room, or wherever, but as the legal guardian they cannot deny you from photocopies-- though they might well try. School office staff are not necessarily well versed in legalities.)
But they don't have to *send* photocopies to the legal guardian. They may require that the legal guardian pick them up, and they may require that the legal guardian pay for each page copied, and if the legal guardian wants multiple copies, they may require payment per copy. And they may require advance notice, in writing, for preparation.

That was what I was trying to get at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:13 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
It is very possible that no adults witnessed said incident and any documentation would have been purely speculation put together by varying accounts of each student, so perhaps they chose not to speculate.

If your child was sent to the nurses office for being hurt, then the nurse might have an injury report or office visit report.

I'm not sure what it is that you want to take forward, but I can tell you that they cannot and will not tell you how they are handling the 'bully'. His rights are protected the same as your child, and they legally cannot tell you any actions that have been taken. There may be all kinds of things documented against the bully, referrals made, evaluations done and so on, and you will never know about them. Everything is done behind the scenes and protected by his rights.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 AM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times
Quote:
Three things:

First, if you work in a medical field, your expectation of documentation is probably different than that of the schools. When talking with other parents in my role as a special needs advocate, I can guarantee that the people most disappointed by educational documentation are nurses. There simply may not have been an incident report filed, whether it should have been or not.

Second: document everything yourself. EVERYTHING. And keep a copy of it in a file drawer. Sick day excuses, disciplinary notes, emails to the teachers. Chances are good you'll never need that documentation-- but if you do, reconstructing after the fact is a bad idea.

Third: at least in this district, children have two files. There's the file with the usual-- grades, end of year test scores, etc. And then there's the "red file" (which isn't metaphorical, it's really red) which contains copies of EVERYTHING, including the note the teacher sent home in first grade about Johnny picking his nose in math class. I don't know if your district has an equivalent, but it's worth asking for. (And yes, they can require that you read it in the office, or in a conference room, or wherever, but as the legal guardian of a minor child they cannot deny you from photocopies-- though they might well try. School office staff are not necessarily well versed in legalities.)
Thank you for these thoughts. Yes, I agree school documentation is sorely lacking as I've witnessed over the years my children have attended.

I have documented EVERYTHING and will continue to do so.

I now understand that there are 2 files although the principal has said there has been nothing entered into my son's "red" one. The district office said that I do have a right to view HIS entire file and get a copy of it.

I've realized this too: The school has no desire to suspend or expel school bullies after numerous (and I mean more that 6) offenses so far this year. Apparently, In-School-Suspension is the best they've got. I do understand the desire of the school admin to want to "save" these kids but I question it being done at the expense of other kids' learning and safety. I'm just trying to stay level headed about this -- it is just hard some days.

Last edited by kwalk65; 03-26-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I'm not sure what it is that you want to take forward, but I can tell you that they cannot and will not tell you how they are handling the 'bully'. His rights are protected the same as your child, and they legally cannot tell you any actions that have been taken. There may be all kinds of things documented against the bully, referrals made, evaluations done and so on, and you will never know about them. Everything is done behind the scenes and protected by his rights.
It is just too bad that the child who is being bullied isn't protected with the same vigor that the "rights" of the bully is.

It is interesting how at first I was angry that my son retaliated and tackled the bully, but maybe, just maybe, him standing up for himself was FAR MORE effective to stop the bullying than what I as his parent could ever do!

Last edited by kwalk65; 03-26-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 11:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
It is just too bad that the child who is being bullied isn't protected with the same vigor that the "rights" of the bully is.
Your child's rights are equally protected. Nobody has access to your child's records either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
It is funny how at first I was angry that my son retaliated and tackled the bully, but maybe, just maybe, him standing up for himself was FAR MORE effective to stop the bullying than what I as his parent could ever do!
It is effective. I guarantee you that other future bullies will think twice before bullying your son.

Sometimes it just takes standing up yourself once and it sends the message to everyone that you're not going to be a victim.

Bullies pick on people that give them opportunities to bully. It's true. People hate hearing it because they think it blames the victim.

But the reality is that some people attract bullies because they don't know how to stand up for themselves.

I'm not just talking physically standing up for themselves. I'm talking mentally standing up for themselves.

It's a very important skill for children to learn or they could go on to be victims for the rest of their lives.

Parents getting involved to punish the bully only solves half the problem if they're not also helping their children learn how to not be victims on their own.

Last edited by Hopes; 03-26-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Parents getting involved to punish the bully only solves half the problem if they're not also helping their children learn how to not be victims on their own.
I totally agree. I don't want my son to think it is okay to retaliate -- BUT when it comes to kids that bully others I think your child standing up for themselves is VERY empowering. My son said he didn't care what punishment he got --- anything was better than letting that bully get the best of him. I think he's right.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:28 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
But they don't have to *send* photocopies to the legal guardian. They may require that the legal guardian pick them up, and they may require that the legal guardian pay for each page copied, and if the legal guardian wants multiple copies, they may require payment per copy. And they may require advance notice, in writing, for preparation.

That was what I was trying to get at.
I wasn't necessarily arguing.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
I wasn't necessarily arguing.
I know. I was adding to your thoughts, with a clarification of my own thoughts.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,065 times
If a child was accused of inappropriate touching another student and a police spoke to the accusers parents, is the parent supposed to get a incident report?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting