Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,315,930 times

Advertisements

Strauss and Howe tell that there are 4 cohorts of generations born every 15-25 years.

The generation cohorts fits as followed...

Idealists (Prophets)
Nomads (Reactives)
Heros (Civics)
Artists (Adaptive)
then back to the Idealists, then Nomads and so on.

Idealists are born during an economic boom, when society is overall very conformist and there is low risk for risky behavior. Idealist's parents tend to be Civics and Artists while their grandparents are Nomads.
Personality: Stormy in youth, visionary as elder, righteous, austere, principled and creative but sometimes selfish and arrogant.

The Baby Boomers are the Idealists. They were born in the 1950s and contributed to the social changes of the 1960s and 70s. The Boomers were and are optimistic and very independent.

Nomads are the children of Idealists and Artists. Nomads are born after the High, during an Awakening, a time of rapid social changes (the 1960s and 70s is when the Nomads were born). Their parents tend to be too loose in how they parent and raise their children. Resulting in the Nomads receiving unfulfilled attention from their parents thus causing the Nomads to become overprotective parents.
Personality: bad in youth, lonely elder, pragmatic, savvy and practical but often amoral and uncultured.

Generation X are the Nomads. The X Generation are more pessimistic compared to the Boomers

Heros are the children of Idealists and the Nomads. Heros are raised as increasingly protected by the Nomads and come of age during a Crisis.
Personality: good youth, confident elders, grand, powerful, rational and competent but maybe insensitive.

Generation Y or the Millenniums are the Heros. Many child safely laws and anti-drug laws were enacted while Generation Y was growing up in the 80s and 90s. As the Heros reach elementary school, society suddenly shifts back to becoming more child-centered. When Heros come of age, they tend to have somewhat of a difficult time becoming independent due to their overprotective parents. (note: helicopter parents) Right now, the Mills are having a hard time finding a job and many have moved back in with their parents. The latter of this generation are now contributing to the falling teenage birth rate, decreased sexual activity among teens and the falling alcohol and drug usage. Heros tend to be optimistic and when their time comes to help society during the Crisis, the Heros protects and rebuilds institutions and society according to their views. Note: before WWII, the previous Hero generation was sort of like today's 20 somethings. That was until they had to get up, fight, protect our country in WWII and rebuild society and its institution according to their views.

Artists- children of Heros and Nomads. Artists are born and raised during a time of crisis. Their parents are usually very overprotective, keeping the Artists away from all the dangers in the world.
Personality: placid as youth, sensitive elders, flexible, caring and open-minded but indecisive and guilt-ridden.

The babies being born now are the new Artist generation. They're being born and will grow up amidst this economic situation that we're in. Parents are still becoming increasingly overprotective of their children. This in turn may cause our babies to grow up as being conformist and conservative.

The older Artist generation is the Silent generation, whom were born during the Great Depression, grew up during WWII and came of age in the 1950s. When they were teenagers, they were relatively calm and avoided risky behavior. Followed the rules, respected authority and dressed clean-cut. Thus earning them the name, Silents. The current babies maybe the new Silent generation and alike in behavior.

Last edited by 90sman; 03-25-2011 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,545,840 times
Well thank God there's a Silent generation coming up once again! They're going to need all the money they make to pay for the indulgences of the Idealists.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,445,604 times
Idealists are born during an economic boom, when society is overall very conformist and there is low risk for risky behavior. Idealist's parents tend to be Civics and Artists while their grandparents are Nomads.
Personality: Stormy in youth, visionary as elder, righteous, austere, principled and creative but sometimes selfish and arrogant.

The Baby Boomers are the Idealists. They were born in the 1950s and contributed to the social changes of the 1960s and 70s. The Boomers were and are optimistic and very independent.

^^^
The older Artist generation is the Silent generation, whom were born during the Great Depression, grew up during WWII and came of age in the 1950s. When they were teenagers, they were relatively calm and avoided risky behavior. Followed the rules, respected authority and dressed clean-cut. Thus earning them the name, Silents. The current babies maybe the new Silent generation and alike in behavior.

This sheds some light on the complexities of my family--why we seem to have communication problems.
Boomer myself--I've heard quite a bit about being 'selfish and arrogant' from the Older Silents.

The pendulum swings. Fine tune from the 60's.
'England swings like a pendulum do
Bobbies on bicycles, two by two
Westminster Abbey, the tower of Big Ben,
The rosy red cheeks of the little children.'

William and Kate should have a lot of kids---such a nice couple.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,033,432 times
I would say that I fit the description of nomad fairly well, with the notable exception that I was not at all a troublemaker in my youth. (Perhaps that can be chalked up to being a hyper-responsible firstborn child.) Neither would I describe myself as uncultured, but I will admit to being extremely pragmatic in my approach to life.

My children are really too young to determine whether or not they fit the mold of artist. Time will tell.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,182,154 times
These descriptions are so broad that they're about as useful as a New Year's baby reading the "Capricorn" section of Linda Goodman's Sun Signs. If you want it to match, you can make it do so, and if you don't, it won't.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
^^I was thinking the same.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
I don't find the descriptions very relevant.

Every definition that fits any of my family members (my parents, my children, myself) is for an entirely different era from when they were born.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:31 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,445,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't find the descriptions very relevant.

Every definition that fits any of my family members (my parents, my children, myself) is for an entirely different era from when they were born.
It is interesting and there is probably some truth to the theories.

I recall a scene from 'Sleepless in Seattle'--Tom Hank's son informs him that he is 'pure blue light'/something like that--and is able to know things that his Dad's generation will never be able to understand. His rather precocious 10/11 yr old girl friend provided this information. His dad just lol'd. Ended up meeting his soulmate in NYC anyway.

I'm still working on 'The Age of Aquarius'---when the Boomers come into power they will change the world, etc. I guess we did--and I guess the world will continue to change--'Imagine'/John Lennon.

Wondering what is going on in Libya --hope we can get that straightened out.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Wondering what is going on in Libya --hope we can get that straightened out.
Many middle eastern countries are unstable right now, but I think positive change will result and the region will start becoming more progressive.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:55 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,207,865 times
Am I the only one who considers such generational predictions to be up there with astrology and other monkeyshines? I think it is mostly based off of media stereotypes and television rather than anything actually occurring. I'd say it is bad sociology but the judgmental quality means it is not real sociology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting