U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:56 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,603,756 times

Advertisements

Your daughter is a senior right? And she was skipped, right? So wouldn't you expect her to act similar to her 17 and 18 year old peers who are darn near or are already grown?

I think each person has their own opinion to what age wearing makeup is appropriate. I knew girls wearing full makeup at 12 and 13. I was a late bloomer; around 15 or 16, and wore minimal makeup. I always figured the appropriate age when when the child becomes interested and starts asking questions. Then you gradually introduce it.

So I'm not going to give out an appropriate age. But I will say that 17 is just silly and old fashioned.

Why are you worried about her looking older than her age? In a year (or in April depending on your state laws), she'll be legally free to date whomever she wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 01:07 PM

14,311 posts, read 12,569,286 times
I think girls should be allowed to wear make up once they are in high school.

I think of high school as a trial and error learning period regarding make up.

Hopefully, by the time the girl graduates, she will have learned the best make up look for her and she will look great.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:10 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Good point, Annie. I never thought of that. Forbidding a from wearing makeup before 18 could result in a young adult who looks terrible from lack of experience.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:22 PM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
Loosen up mom as a girl who grew up in a very tight and restrictive home know the feeling of not being able to wear makeup , go to football games ,out on friday and saturday nights . Having to turn down invitations out because my parents did not approve of what their parents did is no fun .And God forbid if you disobeyed her I saw the backside of a belt . My mom was so restrictive and I still cant go into a crowd because I get stomach aches and have anxiety . You are going to make this girl of yours run for the hills as soon as she can . I grew up very unhappy and your daughter will too if you dont loosen up . Let the girl wear makeup.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,844,713 times
mom, you need to chill out.

your daughter is MORE than old enough to wear make up. and i hope that she has a decent social life (school dances, football games, movies, mall, all that teen stuff)

my dd is 12 and allowed to wear lip gloss and VERY light makeup for special occasions (school dances, etc)

when she gets to high school she can wear make up as long as she doesnt look like a street walker (and i told her that too LOL)

oh, and when she has her friends sleepover (a pretty common occurrence) they are allowed to put make up on eachother all they want (but cant leave the yard LOL)

Old 03-26-2011, 01:56 PM

51,202 posts, read 50,499,962 times
The worst thing for a teenager is to have to be an oddball, different from the other kids. Why would you want her to go through that?

You couldn't possibly have been shocked that your daughter would sneak makeup behind your back. What did you expect to happen with such a weird restriction for a girl that age?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:03 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
when she gets to high school she can wear make up as long as she doesnt look like a street walker (and i told her that too LOL)
My father told me I looked like a w^@#$ when I had too much black eyeliner and mascara.

People always act shocked when I share that story---like it was a terrible thing to say to a daughter.

But the reality is I needed to know that my makeup was too heavy and made me look like w^@#$.

If my own father wasn't going to tell me, who would?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:14 PM

579 posts, read 717,201 times
I think lip gloss/ light colored nail polish is ok at a tween stage, light makeup ok for 15 and up, but hooker-looking makeup, sorry, not till they're out of the house and on their own financially

Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Who in the HELL wants to fight about MAKEUP???

Teach her how to wear it properly then step away. Or you fail as a mom.

PS. I'm curious about all the other stuff she does that you don't know about...maybe some of that is worth fighting over instead? Or maybe not.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NewYork View Post
What age do you think it's appropriate for a teen to wear make up ? I have a daughter who will turn 17 in April who is not allowed to wear make up. I found out that she has been sneaking and wearing make up behind my back.
She's sneaking it because she wants to fit in. And she wants to look nice. Perfectly normal desires for a teenage girl. She's 17. It's past time to loosten up and let her do what everyone else was doing at a much younger age.

I have this sneaking suspicion you equal makeup with tramp.(?) It doesn't. It equals an everyday teenager wanting to look nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting