U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:45 AM

36 posts, read 158,861 times

Advertisements

What age do you think it's appropriate for a teen to wear make up ? I have a daughter who will turn 17 in April who is not allowed to wear make up. I found out that she has been sneaking and wearing make up behind my back. She is allowed to wear lip gloss only and this is because without any make up she looks older than her age and i know that make up will age her even more. The young ladies that she hangs around with also wears so much make up that they look like clowns and i know my child loves lots of color so what should i do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 11:17 AM

12,429 posts, read 14,565,228 times
I can't believe your daughter is 17, and you don't allow her to wear makeup.I was going to say, if you don't allow it, at her age she'll probably just sneak it with her and put it on when she's out the house....but I see that's already happening. Why don't you allow her to put makeup on at your house?? I think that if she could apply makeup (if she wants), in your home, you could at least see how well, or not well, a job she's doing....You are not showing much trust in your daughter, she is a young adult now, and she really shouldn't need your permission to do what almost every other young woman out there is doing.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 AM

809 posts, read 894,281 times
You're creating an problem. Your kid at 17, is not so much a kid anymore, and will shortly be able to tell you to go up creek. Better start loosening those reigns and treat her with respect and enforce rules that are ... well ... excusable and reasonable otherwise I foresee some backlash. Because I'm your mother, because I said so, because I pay the bills, because I know best won't work anymore. You would not accept that BS on something pointlessly infringing on your individualism or freedoms, don't expect your daughter to.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,932,869 times
I would think by 17 there shouldn't be an issue with her wearing makeup, she is probably only a year away from graduating from high school if not graduating this year and most girls do wear makeup. I don't think your daughter should have to conform to what others are doing but obviously since she is wearing it behind your back she wants to use it.

If you think she will wear to much makeup, take her and have a professional makeup session with someone who can explain more color is not necessarily better and show her how to play up her assets with the right colors. I do agree that alot of teenagers and some women wear way to much makeup and instead of playing up their beauty it can make them look like a little girl who got into her Mom's makeup case.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:31 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,000,336 times
Honestly, your daughter is way past the age for being allowed to wear makeup. In a year you won't be able to tell your daughter what to do with her makeup. You'd be wise to allow her to wear it now, while you have some input. Take her to a makup artist at the department store so she can get a lesson on how to apply makeup appropriately. Stop being overcontrolling. You could lose your daughter to rebelllion. Actually, that's already starting if she's sneaking behind your back. It's time for you to change your ways before you lose complete control of your daughter.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
Dads have a genetic prerogative to disapprove of their baby girl wearing makeup until baby girl is 37 and married, which won't happen since baby girl will be a virgin forever. It is dad's god-given right.

However, it is mom's prerogative and god-given right, AND responsibility, to trump Dad on this particular topic. Mom not only needs to trump dad, but mom needs to help baby girl learn how to put makeup on appropriately. This is her god-given responsibility. Mom, you've been slacking. It's time to hit the department store make-up counters with baby girl and teach her how to choose responsibly. If you don't know how to do it yourself, then turn it into a Lesson For Two. I recommend Origins or Bobbi Brown, because both tend to be on the "undramatic" side, and encourage natural looks.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:14 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,382,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NewYork View Post
What age do you think it's appropriate for a teen to wear make up ? I have a daughter who will turn 17 in April who is not allowed to wear make up. I found out that she has been sneaking and wearing make up behind my back. She is allowed to wear lip gloss only and this is because without any make up she looks older than her age and i know that make up will age her even more. The young ladies that she hangs around with also wears so much make up that they look like clowns and i know my child loves lots of color so what should i do?
I was wearing light make-up in 6th grade and by 8th grade my mom never told me things like "you're wearing too much" or ever told me to go wipe some off.

Your daughter is just over a year from being an adult and she can't wear make-up, that's not right.
Kudos to her to taking control of her life a little, if she's already doing it, admit defeat, just let her wear it.
So what if she looks older? Is she a smart kid? Is a little make-up going to turn her into the town bike?

*hands you a pair of scissors*
*points to the umbilical cord*

It's time....

Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,978,373 times
what a great reason for this almost adult young woman to rebel against her mom. 17 and no make up? loosen up mom

Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,382,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what a great reason for this almost adult young woman to rebel against her mom. 17 and no make up? loosen up mom
I feel more sorry for the mom than I do the daughter because to think the way she does is very sad, to be one of "those" parents who is oddly strict and their kid basically lives a prison life, its sad because people who think like that are such a waste of mind and space.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:50 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,720,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NewYork View Post
I think that teens are old enough to wear makeup, even young teens. What do you think will happen if she wears makeup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting