U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 PM

101 posts, read 243,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is another vaccine myth.

Vaccines: Vac-Gen/Some Misconceptions

MISCONCEPTION #3. There are "hot lots" of vaccine that have been associated with more adverse events and deaths than others. Parents should find the numbers of these lots and not allow their children to receive vaccines from them. and following

I'm sorry for what happened to your cousin, but it very likely wasn't the vaccine.

Good to know, appreciate your opinion

but you may want to ask your self why exactly would Congress would start the VICP in 1986.

Seeing how it was very likely not the vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,608,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
yeah because swine flu was a localized out break and wasn't all that serious.*sarcasm*
Moderator cut: Personal attack.

I said almost always.

As for your overly dramatic rant, Swine Flu killed about 10% of what "normal" seasonal flu kills every year(without a vaccinated population). Yeah, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I am all for vaccines, I get them and so do my kids, but we don't have it nearly as bad as people did 50 years or more ago.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-07-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 PM

5,926 posts, read 5,826,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Reading not your strong suit? I said almost always.

As for your overly dramatic rant, Swine Flu killed about 10% of what "normal" seasonal flu kills every year(without a vaccinated population). Yeah, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I am all for vaccines, I get them and so do my kids, but we don't have it nearly as bad as people did 50 years or more ago.
Because people freaked and stayed in.
My mom tried to make us shower upon returning home and changing clothes....

Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 PM

81,328 posts, read 90,834,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoefromLA View Post
Good to know, appreciate your opinion

but you may want to ask your self why exactly would Congress would start the VICP in 1986.

Seeing how it was very likely not the vaccine.
HRSA - National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program

The VICP was established to ensure an adequate supply of vaccines, stabilize vaccine costs, and establish and maintain an accessible and efficient forum for individuals found to be injured by certain vaccines. The VICP is a no-fault alternative to the traditional tort system for resolving vaccine injury claims that provides compensation to people found to be injured by certain vaccines. The U. S. Court of Federal Claims decides who will be paid.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-06-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 03:54 PM

11,387 posts, read 12,913,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
I had vaccines- no autism here.

Would you rather your kid stare at ceiling fans or die of the mumps?
Neither!!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 PM

11,387 posts, read 12,913,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The funny thing? The British researcher who started all this vaccine hysteria was recently found to have totally doctored his findings. Not a bit of truth to it.
Wakefield Wakefield was vindicated and it was proved that what he said was indeed true!!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM

13,263 posts, read 31,740,993 times
Wakefield was never vindicated. He was found guilty, the charges were not dropped, he has not had his license to practice medicine returned to him. Furthermore, he claims a reporter lied about him, and that's why there was such a fuss. Thing is, he was found guilty and stripped of his license to practice BEFORE that article was written. He also attempted to sue Deer (the journalist) previously, and lost the lawsuit. Deer even invited him to sue him again, if he feels that Deer acted libelously. Wakefield has not taken up that challenge. Probably because he knows he'll lose, again. Or possibly because he can't find a lawyer willing to risk their own reputation by representing him.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:25 PM

14,754 posts, read 15,017,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Wakefield Wakefield was vindicated and it was proved that what he said was indeed true!!
Wrong again! The article you site is from 2010. Here is a newer article. The study that dived deeply into his research was published in Jan 2011

Autism Day in the shadow of Wakefield – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
Perhaps highest profile event related to autism since the last Autism Day was the British Medical Journal’s January publication of a three-part study deconstructing and declaring “fraudulent” the controversial 1998 research of Dr. Andrew Wakefield. Wakefield’s study had linked the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine to autism. For more than a decade Wakefield’s work contributed to many parents not getting their children vaccinated for fear of the vaccines causing autism.
Quote:
The BMJ’s deep dive on the Wakefield study found that the doctor misrepresented or altered the medical histories of all 12 of the patients whose cases formed the basis of the study - and that there was "no doubt" Wakefield was responsible, the journal said.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 PM

3,254 posts, read 4,947,074 times
Quote:
NOT!!!!! Do some research to correct this lie!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:06 PM

32,537 posts, read 26,330,734 times
Quote:
That's a link to a blog. (Which anyone can write.) It means nothing without reputable sources, so I looked for them.

The links on the blog led to a lot of "Page Not Found"s and links to other blogs written by the same author. It's a maze that leads to one source: Child Health Safety. I could not find the credentials of the author of this blog. Do you have them? Who exactly is "Child Health Safety"?

So, once again, I'll ask for your sources.

Edit to add: I found a link (it wasn't easy) to something called the Alliance for Human Resource Protection. In the small print on their website I found the disclaimer which says, "This site is not a monologue of truth." Which is interesting. It also means they don't want to get sued. So the one link I did find said that what is on the website may not be true. Okey dokey. Not going to take anything they say as gospel.

Please. If you have links to reputable sources I'd love to read them.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-08-2011 at 07:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting