Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Well thats obviously false because I felt a BIG pinch. They also said my arm might hurt for up to 12 hours and it hurt for 12 hours and 14 minutes. I demand a settlement.
Clearly, your clock is wrong. You should be suing your clock manufacturer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 AM

101 posts, read 288,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm sorry, this isn't your forum, you don't get to make the rules. People can answer whatever question they want to answer here. They can also decline to answer any question. Or they can ask their own question. You aren't authorize to require anything at all here on city-data. You're not a mod.

However - I will answer your questions, in the way I feel appropriate:
The title name is "the absolute truth about vaccines." I agree that this is, in fact, the title of the thread. I do not, however, agree that the content in the thread is the "absolute" truth.

I also do not agree on what happened to your cousin. I don't know you. I don't know your cousin. I am not a doctor, I do not know your cousin's doctor. You could be making this cousin up for all I know. Or your cousin could have gotten sick a month before he was vaccinated, but the sickness didn't manifest itself until the day after. He could have been incubating an illness for years, and it was just scheduled to manifest that day, and would have done so, even if he wasn't vaccinated at all.

It isn't a joke that people get vaccinated and don't become autistic. That wasn't a joke. It was a fact, according to the person who posted. This also may, or may not be true. But if it is true, than it is evidence that vaccinations don't cause autism. Because if it did, most people would be autistic, since most people have been vaccinated.

The joke, truly, is that anyone would take these conspiracy theories seriously. That is the joke.
Funny how people get when they are proven wrong, way to crawfish.

I really don't care if you believe me or not, I know the truth.

My job was to point out that
1. Things happen with vaccinations
2. People I called out in my post were making jokes about it

Then you come running in with your rant reply. When I set things at the simplest level and show that you agreed with everything I said you realize that you were wrong and post another rant post.

Never in my post in any way shape or form did I ever say if I was for or against vaccine, never, in any way shape or form. I posted "super condensed version" that people do get sick and joking about it is not funny and then you have to go off on your rant crusade. Then when you see there was no purpose whatsoever for your reply and I'm proving it at the simplest level you go on another rant crusade. Good luck to you.

BTW just fyi my kids can still get in school if they dont eat eggs or ride in Toyota SUVs.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
The funny thing? The British researcher who started all this vaccine hysteria was recently found to have totally doctored his findings. Not a bit of truth to it.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM

101 posts, read 288,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I would like to read it. Could you post a link?

I raised my sons before the days of polio vacine. Every summer, in the southern USA, was a scary time. You have no idea how it is, when the child that was in a Sunday School class that morning with your child, is in the hospital with polio by 6:00 that afternoon. Every day, the newspaper had a space dedicated to naming blocks of town where new case appeared. That way, you could avoid those areas until the epidemic was over.

No, few people with small children these days understand the risk.

Autism is a dreadful thing too. But at least the child survives. Back in the time before vacine, no one had even heard of autism, but the number of children in the mental institutions was much higher than it is now. Then they were just considered mentally ill or retarded. Now, we diagnose it as autism and blame the vacine.
Here it is

The End of the Autism/Vaccine Debate? - Parenting.com

and this is another good read

Guide to Vaccines - Parenting.com

Old 04-06-2011, 10:19 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoefromLA View Post
Thanks! Those are good articles.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I would like to read it. Could you post a link?

I raised my sons before the days of polio vacine. Every summer, in the southern USA, was a scary time. You have no idea how it is, when the child that was in a Sunday School class that morning with your child, is in the hospital with polio by 6:00 that afternoon. Every day, the newspaper had a space dedicated to naming blocks of town where new case appeared. That way, you could avoid those areas until the epidemic was over.

No, few people with small children these days understand the risk.

Autism is a dreadful thing too. But at least the child survives. Back in the time before vacine, no one had even heard of autism, but the number of children in the mental institutions was much higher than it is now. Then they were just considered mentally ill or retarded. Now, we diagnose it as autism and blame the vacine.
Yes!!!!

People today don't know the agony as a disease sweeps through a town. The closest thing we know is maybe a hepatitis scare or maybe meningitis. But that is not something even reported on the news unless there is a restaurant worker diagnosed.

Autism is not caused by vaccines. The doctor who reported that had been debunked.

Does a child need every vaccine out there? No. I opted out of the chicken pox one for my kids.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Yes!!!!

People today don't know the agony as a disease sweeps through a town. The closest thing we know is maybe a hepatitis scare or maybe meningitis. But that is not something even reported on the news unless there is a restaurant worker diagnosed.

Autism is not caused by vaccines. The doctor who reported that had been debunked.

Does a child need every vaccine out there? No. I opted out of the chicken pox one for my kids.
I put that one off until my FIL came down with shingles-NOT FUN. If you haven't had chicken pox you can't get shingles so that pretty much sealed the deal for me. Our oldest had chicken pox before the vaccine was really available so there was no decision to make there.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
You know, every things is a risk/benefit question. Occasionally people die BECAUSE they are wearing a seatbelt. The fact remains the risks of not wearing a seatbelt far outweigh the risks of wearing one. There are occasions when someone has a bad reaction to a vaccine. Occasionally, someone even dies. I'd rather take the miniscule risk of that than the risks of Polio or Whooping cough.
The other thing is, this isn't just about you. When you choose not to vaccinate, you are putting others at risk.
There are killed forms of many vaccines. A lot of people don't know that's often an option. You also have the option to space out your vaccines more than the norm. That's sort of a middle ground between not vaccinating at all and getting them on the regular schedule.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:23 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoefromLA View Post
Yuck it up mightyqueen, LeHigh, etc.

My cousin was one of the kids that got vaccinated with the bad batch of DPT shots in the late 80's while his dad served in the Armed Forces(this is what really brought not being vaccinated to the forefront).

He was a toddler just walking and starting to talk to just laying there doing nothing and he lived yet never recovered.

So if yall have your little jokes to crack find another thread to do it in.
My joking was about conspiracy theories, not vaccines and sick kids. I'm sorry about your cousin.

That was a very rare occurence, and just goes to show that nothing is without risk.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:27 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Yes!!!!

I had an aunt who was mentally retarded and had CP, but she could walk. The nurse who was present when she was born panicked because she was born with the "caul"--the amniotic sack was over her face, and it was thought that such children could tell fortunes and she wouldn't touch her until the doctor got there, and she sustained the brain damage from the lack of oxygen.

When she was nine, she got polio. She had 20 seizures in one night and never walked again. The boy across the street had it, too, and died. These events affected those families forever.

We take so many of our medical miracles these days for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting