Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times

Advertisements

You are so amazing! I wish I could help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,284 times
Even if he has never worked, he should be eliible for SSI. My niece has downs syndrome and receives SSI. Keep going back and asking, they told my SIL no at first and I made her go back until niece was approved.

I haven't read all the replies so someone else may have told you this also.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
It's terrible how people who want to work are the ones punished in this society.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
When ever I hear about stories like this I wonder WTF these women were thinking when they choose to have children with the men they did. Everyone makes mistakes but it would seem to be a good idea to really know what is in his character before you get pregnant.

I know that doesn't answer the question in the OP but it is what I thought after reading the OP.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:09 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PissedinMO View Post
I am living this nightmare. My ex owes child support on our disabled son. Instead, he is somehoe eligable for welfare (a 47 yr old healthy man) along with his current wife and their 4 kids. My son however, who has Cerebral Palsy and lives with me is NOT on welfare, I go to work every day! So, child support enforcement is waiting for ME to give them a good address for my ex (like he would call and tell me where he lives... come on) but yet, he is in the Social Services System currently collecting welfare.

I requested child support enformcement cross reference with Welfare records to get an accurate address and they "do not have access to those records"

This must change. If you don't give the welfare system a good address you are cut off and if they have a good address for you, child support enforcement can keep track of you!

How to change the laws so that they actually protect US single parents who are actually working, and need the additional income for things like Physical Therapy, etc.

Anyonw with answers I'd LOVE to hear them

Sorry to say..you SOL..if his family is collecting welfare, dont expect nothing out of it, do you have his ss# ? Is the child support court ordered.
Thru court, not the welfare agency, If it is..has his driving license been suspended for non payment of child support.
I know this may sound mean..but we as parents pick our kids other parent. You picked a dead-beat.
Does your child see his dad?
You need to go thru the courts not the welfare dept..they are not lawyers even tho some think they are.
You need to give us more info to go on.
How do you know he's on welfare?
or is it his wife is with their kids?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:12 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
When ever I hear about stories like this I wonder WTF these women were thinking when they choose to have children with the men they did. Everyone makes mistakes but it would seem to be a good idea to really know what is in his character before you get pregnant.

I know that doesn't answer the question in the OP but it is what I thought after reading the OP.

I was thinking the same thing..
Stop blaming the other parent....if your the one who picked him for your kids..

Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
a little background: My son is 26, has cerebral palsy. Cognitively he is fine (graduated college!), can speak clearly, but physically he is like a 10 month old. He must have assistance doing basic things like dressing, bathoom, showering, combing hair, preparing meals, etc. I need the "extra" money, the child support, for things like physical therapy, personal care assitance, occupational therapy, braces for his legs, wheelchairs, etc.
I realize that your son needs care, and that it's not fair to expect one parent to handle it all, after the age of 18 - but I just never realized it was possible to collect "child" support on a 26-year-old?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I realize that your son needs care, and that it's not fair to expect one parent to handle it all, after the age of 18 - but I just never realized it was possible to collect "child" support on a 26-year-old?
I don't know about that, but it seems this young man would be a candidate for social security disability.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't know about that, but it seems this young man would be a candidate for social security disability.
I'd never heard of it either, but that seems to be what the original poster is trying to collect?

And I'm definitely with you on applying for any benefits he might qualify for.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile This needs to be changed!

Quote:
I am living this nightmare. My ex owes child support on our disabled son. Instead, he is somehoe eligable for welfare (a 47 yr old healthy man) along with his current wife and their 4 kids. My son however, who has Cerebral Palsy and lives with me is NOT on welfare, I go to work every day! So, child support enforcement is waiting for ME to give them a good address for my ex (like he would call and tell me where he lives... come on) but yet, he is in the Social Services System currently collecting welfare.

I requested child support enformcement cross reference with Welfare records to get an accurate address and they "do not have access to those records"

This must change. If you don't give the welfare system a good address you are cut off and if they have a good address for you, child support enforcement can keep track of you!

How to change the laws so that they actually protect US single parents who are actually working, and need the additional income for things like Physical Therapy, etc.

Anyonw with answers I'd LOVE to hear them
Contact your representative. This is an area of the government where records should certainly be somewhat connected. I can't imagine all the waste. This is an example of agencies NOT working together and look at the waste and red tape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting