Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 AM

378 posts, read 575,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Well, I lobbed off their foreskins without consent and then wouldn't allow tattoos or earrings at all until they were adults and I had no say. I guess I am not an equal opporuntity body mutilator.

I did, however, spend a lot of time teaching and learning about dinosaurs since my oldest was obssessed with them. So I got that going for me, which is nice.
I meant we can teach our kids outlandish concepts under the banner of religion and parental ownership. To teach a child the world is only 6000 years old or to teach them to hate is also an abuse we tolerate and yes, I am aware I am about to be flamed for calling religious beliefs outlandish. How is a tattoo different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,803,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
I meant we can teach our kids outlandish concepts under the banner of religion and parental ownership. To teach a child the world is only 6000 years old or to teach them to hate is also an abuse we tolerate and yes, I am aware I am about to be flamed for calling religious beliefs outlandish. How is a tattoo different?
You are making way more of this than it should be. A drunk, moronic father did a drunk, moronic thing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pounding too much of the Bud keg does not require some deep, philosophical discussion. It requires a smack in the head.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM

So does making it sound like he shook the baby.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 AM

13,250 posts, read 9,872,112 times
Quote:
Religious beliefs can change as the child gets older. A tattoo is either permanent or painful and expensive to remove.

Your comparisons are ridiculous. And yes, I'm deciding they are.

As far as the nonsense regarding the tattoo being cultural, for that to be the case, it would have to be somewhat common amongst this family's relatives, environment, or one or more two year olds in America.

Quote:
cul·tur·al/ˈkəlCHərəl/Adjective

1. Of or relating to the ideas, customs, and social behavior of a society.
Toddlers are not tattooed in the child's culture as a matter of custom. Therefore, the Dad did not do it for cultural reasons.

And I'm deciding that based on my ability to define terms and read a dictionary, and asses the general circumstances under which this was carried out.

So I have that going for me, which is nice.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Here is your Culture.

Now. If a family were to move to America and become citizens, what right do you have to dictate what culture they are allowed?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:43 AM

13,250 posts, read 9,872,112 times
Quote:
Here is your Culture.

Now. If a family were to move to America and become citizens, what right do you have to dictate what culture they are allowed?
Dude. You can continue to chide me in this passive aggressive manner if you feel so inclined but you do not know me or what I stand for. You are barking up the wrong tree, my friend.

Your link only proves to cement my point. This boy is not from Eygpt, he's from Rome, Georgia, where it is not in HIS culture to have a tattoo at age two.

Now if anybody from Georgia would like to provide evidence that I am mistaken, I'd be happy to hear it, and we can celebrate the glorious tradition of getting too far into a keg and giving your toddler prison tatts. Perhaps the kind people of Rome could show some pictures of their 5 year old's tramp stamp.

Until then, I remain unconvinced.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,582,793 times
According to the "similar threads" list at the bottom of the page, it may in fact be a part of Georgian culture.

News, Georgia couple faces child cruelty charges after tattooing six kids with home made device.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
And because someone from the planet Zod tattooed identical twins on the foot, that doesn't make this dad any less culpable for his actions.
The passive aggressive attitude goes both ways.

Simple questions then.
Do you know the guy's ethnic background and how long he and his family have lived in Georgia?
Or is it assumed people from Egypt aren't allowed to settle there?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,803,922 times
Quote:
The passive aggressive attitude goes both ways.

Simple questions then.
Do you know the guy's ethnic background and how long he and his family have lived in Georgia?
Or is it assumed people from Egypt aren't allowed to settle there?
His name is Eugene Ashley.

He ain't Egyptian.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
His name is Eugene Ashley.
Any guy walking around with a name like Ashley needs a tatoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting