Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Perfectly reasonable. I mean, who wants to break little Timmy's heart and actually say the word no to him? This really is in the best interest of the children and I hope every state adopts this policy.

What kind of monsters are you people that encourage children learning they can't have everything they want? They are precious angels, you know.
Exactly. If parents would learn how to say "no" to their children, the government wouldn't have to step in and do it for them. Kids need to learn "no." Whether mommy and daddy like it or not. So who's going to make that decision? When you refuse to do your job, and the job needs to get done, someone else WILL step in and do it. If you don't like how someone else is doing your job, then get back in and do it yourself.

Also, they're not precious angels. They're special snowflakes, god bless their hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Exactly. If parents would learn how to say "no" to their children, the government wouldn't have to step in and do it for them. Kids need to learn "no." Whether mommy and daddy like it or not. So who's going to make that decision? When you refuse to do your job, and the job needs to get done, someone else WILL step in and do it. If you don't like how someone else is doing your job, then get back in and do it yourself.

Also, they're not precious angels. They're special snowflakes, god bless their hearts.
Lol, I backed away from special snowflakes but it warms the cockles of my heart to see you keeping it alive and well.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,181,946 times
Quote:

If govt has to step in because a parent can't say no to McDonalds, we are in for trouble. More importantly though, why should a community have to change it's behavior because a small group of that community can't do the right thing?

Why aren't the parents who take kids to McDonalds every day for lunch and who's kids are fat penalized instead? But it is the parents who are responsible, going to McDonalds a reasonable amount of times and can say no who have to "pay the price" for others stupidity.

Although, this is just a witch hunt against fast food places (BK, Wendy's & McDonalds). Those places aren't making us fat. It is that far too many people eat processed food(from a grocery store), instead of actually cooking. Far too many people drink soda and sugar drinks, loaded with HFCS that make us fat. Far too many people sit in front of a TV, computer or video game that is making us fat. Politicians like blaming fast food places, it looks good for them and makes people believe they aren't ignorant people/parents who can't say no or who are unable to say, damn, it is my fault my kids are fat.

What else does it say about society, that a cartoon(Wall-E) prophesied our future.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
If govt has to step in because a parent can't say no to McDonalds, we are in for trouble. More importantly though, why should a community have to change it's behavior because a small group of that community can't do the right thing?

Why aren't the parents who take kids to McDonalds every day for lunch and who's kids are fat penalized instead? But it is the parents who are responsible, going to McDonalds a reasonable amount of times and can say no who have to "pay the price" for others stupidity.

Although, this is just a witch hunt against fast food places (BK, Wendy's & McDonalds). Those places aren't making us fat. It is that far too many people eat processed food(from a grocery store), instead of actually cooking. Far too many people drink soda and sugar drinks, loaded with HFCS that make us fat. Far too many people sit in front of a TV, computer or video game that is making us fat. Politicians like blaming fast food places, it looks good for them and makes people believe they aren't ignorant people/parents who can't say no or who are unable to say, damn, it is my fault my kids are fat.

What else does it say about society, that a cartoon(Wall-E) prophesied our future.
The point is, it says something about society, MUCH more than it says something about government. Society is failing itself. Don't blame government for society's ills.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
That Andrew Stanton and his fellow writers/cohorts at Disney-Pixar are really smart, inventive guys?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,759 times
OMG WHAT ABOUT THE BEANIE BABIES????? HAS EVERYONE FROGOTEN THOSE? Lol hahaha those used to be my fav as a kid. But no seriously correct me if im wrong but isnt mcdonalds kids meals like alot healthier now? I mean I havent boughten one lately but I see on the menu that you can get milk instead of pop and apple dippers instead of frys.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
OMG WHAT ABOUT THE BEANIE BABIES????? HAS EVERYONE FROGOTEN THOSE? Lol hahaha those used to be my fav as a kid. But no seriously correct me if im wrong but isnt mcdonalds kids meals like alot healthier now? I mean I havent boughten one lately but I see on the menu that you can get milk instead of pop and apple dippers instead of frys.
Yes, you can get those things. But do people actually do it? What percentage?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM

13,407 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Here's my take on it, FWIW.

I don't have a problem with junk food per se, and I don't have a problem with toys.

I do think there's something not quite right about rewarding a kid with a toy for eating junk food. I think it's possible that by giving a kid a toy with their mac cheesy that they get the message eating said burger is a rewardable action.

So, would I give my kid an occasional burger? Yes. Would I give them a toy from McDonalds? Yes. Would I give them both together? No.

I personally wish the fast food joints would find another way to reel in their customers for life. Are they going to do it voluntarily? I don't think so. Would I like them to do it? Yes. Do I think the government should mandate they do it? No.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,181,946 times
Quote:
The point is, it says something about society, MUCH more than it says something about government. Society is failing itself. Don't blame government for society's ills.
Brilliant! I'll let the Rwandese know that their government has no blame for the ills in their society.

I do however believe that all of my post was directed at society being irresponsible, except for one sentence. That one sentence where I thought politicians were using this to further themselves at the expense of society.

But, you can see what you want to.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Perfectly reasonable. I mean, who wants to break little Timmy's heart and actually say the word no to him? This really is in the best interest of the children and I hope every state adopts this policy.

What kind of monsters are you people that encourage children learning they can't have everything they want? They are precious angels, you know.
I think you're reading way too much into what I posted. My son understands the word "no" and does not have his every whim catered to. However, he is also a good kid, does well in school, enjoys playing sports, does his chores (for which he earns his own money) and is sometimes even nice to his sisters. Sometimes I "splurge" a little and spend a few bucks on some toys from McDonald's if the toys are related to something he is into. On the occasion he is really into them and wants the whole set (they recently had some Star Wars toys that he wanted to collect) his grandfather hooks him up.

Perhaps heart broken was a poor choice of words, dissappointed is probably more approrpriate. Afterall, my son would need to lose out on something he likes because other people make poor decisions and some politicians want to pass some feel good BS legislation that does nothing more than further encroach on our lives.

People seem to not fully grasp the "slippery slope" when they approve of government intervention banning Happy Meal toys. It is NOT the governments job to pass laws to overcome the poor choices some people make. Besides, do you honestly believe that the 100 pound three year old waddling into McDonalds got that way because they gave out a toy in his meal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting