Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think you're reading way too much into what I posted. My son understands the word "no" and does not have his every whim catered to. However, he is also a good kid, does well in school, enjoys playing sports, does his chores (for which he earns his own money) and is sometimes even nice to his sisters. Sometimes I "splurge" a little and spend a few bucks on some toys from McDonald's if the toys are related to something he is into. On the occasion he is really into them and wants the whole set (they recently had some Star Wars toys that he wanted to collect) his grandfather hooks him up.

Perhaps heart broken was a poor choice of words, dissappointed is probably more approrpriate. Afterall, my son would need to lose out on something he likes because other people make poor decisions and some politicians want to pass some feel good BS legislation that does nothing more than further encroach on our lives.

People seem to not fully grasp the "slippery slope" when they approve of government intervention banning Happy Meal toys. It is NOT the governments job to pass laws to overcome the poor choices some people make. Besides, do you honestly believe that the 100 pound three year old waddling into McDonalds got that way because they gave out a toy in his meal?
Your sarcasm meter is broke My post was 100% sarcastic and not even directed at you, just the article in general. Sorry if you thought I was picking on you.. I feel the same way as Anon does about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 12:16 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Your sarcasm meter is broke My post was 100% sarcastic and not even directed at you, just the article in general. Sorry if you thought I was picking on you.. I feel the same way as Anon does about this.
No problem, I'll take the old sarcasm meter in for an adjustment.

It just seemed that since your post followed mine, you were directing the comment to my son being "heart broken" over not getting Happy Meal toys.

FWIW, I think we do have a contrarian view on this issue. I summed up my position in my post.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
No problem, I'll take the old sarcasm meter in for an adjustment.

It just seemed that since your post followed mine, you were directing the comment to my son being "heart broken" over not getting Happy Meal toys.

FWIW, I think we do have a contrarian view on this issue. I summed up my position in my post.
I agree with you too , mostly.

I'd be lying if I said my kids didn't have their share of trips to McD's and get some toys and nuggest and fries. It was a treat and when they earned it, they go it.

I almost never agree with the govt stepping in and regulating but I am all for this foolishness to stop. Parents aren't parents anymore. I guarantee this whole thing started just because a group of idiot Moms who are afraid to say no are telling McDonalds to take away the toys so they don't have to disappoint little Junior. It makes my head hurt.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I agree with you too , mostly.

I'd be lying if I said my kids didn't have their share of trips to McD's and get some toys and nuggest and fries. It was a treat and when they earned it, they go it.

I almost never agree with the govt stepping in and regulating but I am all for this foolishness to stop. Parents aren't parents anymore. I guarantee this whole thing started just because a group of idiot Moms who are afraid to say no are telling McDonalds to take away the toys so they don't have to disappoint little Junior. It makes my head hurt.
I'm just against it on the principle that one day they are going to want to regulate something that actually matters to me. Saying it's OK to police the poor decisions some people make with legislation opens the door to more and more control and intervention in our lives. I'm not anti-government either, I just don't see it as their place to regulate our lives to that degree.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I'm just against it on the principle that one day they are going to want to regulate something that actually matters to me. Saying it's OK to police the poor decisions some people make with legislation opens the door to more and more control and intervention in our lives. I'm not anti-government either, I just don't see it as their place to regulate our lives to that degree.
I am all for outlawing stupid parents, but I agree

Old 04-06-2011, 06:30 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
What's next then?
Should the government step in and turn off access to our tv's, internet, cell phones etc when they think we've had enough usage or restrict the times we use them. Turning off our cell phones when we get into cars, etc etc.
How far should they be able to delve into our lifes and start controlling everything...

Pretty soon, that book 1984 is going to be a reality if they government knows they can get away with it.

I'm not anti-government but I don't think anyone should be able to control us like that.

Last election, on the thing I used to vote was some colorado laws too, one of which wanted to outlaw the use of birth control in the state.
Had there been a box to check hell effing no, I would have checked that one but sadly there was only yes or no options.

But no lets give them full control and one day they'll control everything.

People need to learn to govern themselves on some things because simple controlling a person does not teach them to do the right thing it just controls them to do it.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
City Council Deputy Majority Leader Leroy Comrie, who plans to introduce the bill on Wednesday, said banning toy giveaways would reduce the allure of fast-food restaurants for children and encourage the industry to provide healthier options.
Lol, looks like this will be unpopular, but I am actually all for it!!

Look, the toys WERE put there for a reason, and that reason was to attact children more!! While I agree that parents should be able to say "no" to kids, etc. but psychologically, just cutting out that allure and incentive of free toys with going to junk-food places, IS good idea! So that they will have less reasons to grow up already thinking that MC is a great place!

It is said, in parenting, we have to pick our battles... because we just can't win them all!! So, if this ONE battle will be kindly eliminated from our life, what is wrong with that? There are always 99c stores to buy cheap toys from if really needed!

People don't like the government getting involved but I think it can be good sometimes, or else it is the allmightly dollar that governs our life, anyway! It is the dollars in revenues that those companies care about, not our health! So, if government is finally stepping up and doing something to turn around the mindset of people, to change the road our society is heading toward when being obese became almost normal... we can all win from healthier lifestyle!! Let those restaurants become forced to create healthier options...

And yes, if we can't do it ourselves (just look outside) then I don't see anything wrong with government helping us a little, just like a loving parent saying "no" to a kid

Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 PM

577 posts, read 900,192 times
I am a health nut, eat very healthy for the most part, but banning toys isn't going to stop childhood obesity nor unhealthy eating habits. What stupid politician thought this one up? Instead of trying to ban toys at fast food, why not do something cute like give away a little toy for every $30 of fresh produce you buy at the grocery store? Or why not hand out fresh produce for free (they do this here and there in the city during summer but it is not widespread)? There are much better ways to encourage healthy eating other than trying to control private enterprise.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
Lol, looks like this will be unpopular, but I am actually all for it!!

And yes, if we can't do it ourselves (just look outside) then I don't see anything wrong with government helping us a little, just like a loving parent saying "no" to a kid
I do. That chiseling sound is the Constitution and our civil rights as Americans being chipped away at.

I have a MIL who's a card-carrying member of the American Civil Liberties Union. Sometimes I'm ready to join up myself.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
If they put HALF the energy into something like nutrition and health classes and more money into school sports and sports programs though the rec centers and more emphasis on being active and healthy and getting out of the house more often and not into banning toys then maybe they might get somewhere, little billy and little suzy aren't going to comprehend WHY their toys were taken out of the happy meal, and overworking mommy or lazy can't cook mommy won't care that her kid won't be getting a toy, all she'll care about is the child shuts up in the back seat long enough she can finish her conference call on her blackberry or that she can get back home to her shows on tv.

Can you imagine telling a child young enough to still like a happy meal toy why they wont have the toy anymore?
"Well little billy there's people who don't know how to control themselves and eat way too much and it makes them fat and in turn the american government has to control us because of a few stupid people who don't know that 3 cheesburgers in one sitting is ridiculous."

I imagine the blinky deer eyed look going with millions of children on that one.

And maybe just maybe if the parents who have small children today teach them moderation and self restraint maybe they'll be healthy sized as preteens and young adults and into their adult lives.

Last edited by txtqueen; 04-06-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Forgot my awesome explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting