U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:15 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,343,478 times

Advertisements

If you say yes to this its only going to make the next "ban" that much easier. You may not care at first because deep down inside you may actually agree with the ban being enacted, but soon (and without warning) your "right to choose" will disappear along with the very freedoms and choices that made this country great in the first place. That said I personally feel that a parent who lets their child become obese is guilty of child abuse and should be charged criminally for it. Allowing a child to be that overweight means the parent just took a back seat to the health and welfare of their child and THAT is when the authorities ahould step in and take charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,988,345 times
Should they ban Chuck E. Cheese, too? My husband and I were just there with my niece today. The kids go for the games, but the pizza certainly isn't healthy.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 PM

5,952 posts, read 6,385,749 times
Yep we say yes to this and lets watch all the rest of our freedoms go down the drain as well.

I hardly ever eat fast food.
Most people I know never really eat all that much fast food.

Its not fast food that is making people fat, its also the choices at home, the junk people buy from the grocery store.

But we will no longer be the "Home Of The Free and Land Of The Brave" we'll be "home of the governmently whipped and land of the controlled"

The statue of liberty will soon be replaced by a statue of big brother.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,729,979 times
I'm not completely sold on the idea that toys in Happy Meals, or even fast food in itself, is the reason why so many of We the People are fatties.

I read in a news article recently that the average American eats three fast food meals per month. That is really not enough to make a person obese.

The sedentary lifestyle that so many American's have grown up with and become accustomed to is more the issue. And removing toys from Happy Meals is just going to **** off a lot of people, not encourage them to get their bodies moving.

Also, all the added c r a p in our foods - artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, etc. - only does us harm. People assume it's healthier if it says "sugar free" or "fat free", etc. If it were good for you, it would be water, fruit, a vegetable, or some other food that looks like what it actually is. The hormones and crap in our meats/poultry/seafood are also unhealthy for us but unfortunately buying the organic good stuff is more expensive and most families either can't or do not want to pay higher prices for the better quality healthier stuff. And as far as cooking fresher, cleaner, healthier meals... with most families these days having to be a two-income both parents working family, it makes it hard to find time for everything. Preparing good meals takes knowledge, skill, time... unfortunately most families just don't have those things. My family is a rarity.

Anyway - this banning the toys thing is a waste of time, energy, and money. It's going to do about as much for the fat people and their kids as our congress has done for our country in the past 3 months.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,729,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
What I want to know is, where are all these obese children? We hear about childhood obesity all the time, Michelle Obama has made combating it her mission, etc. But when I go to my almost 5 year old's preschool, I am not seeing all these obese children. I can think of one child who has a weight problem, and that child's parent's are also obese. The rest of the kids are typical, skinny little kids. Where are all these obese children we are always hearing about?

And on the subject of McDonalds, I really don't need the government dictating whether or not I can buy my child a Happy Meal as a treat. I highly doubt the kids who are obese got that way solely because of McDonalds. I'm sure there is a lot more going on to cause it than a Happy Meal.
In certain parts of the country, especially in predominantly Hispanic and Black areas, it is a HUGE problem. In the South, it's really bad.

One thing, too, that I think not a lot of people realize is that you don't have to buy the food to get the toys. Sometimes my kids have heard of a Happy Meal toy they really thought was cool and wanted. So we just went in and bought the toys. I don't know why more parents don't just do that?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 PM

5,952 posts, read 6,385,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
In certain parts of the country, especially in Hispanic and Black areas, it is a HUGE problem. In the South, it's really bad.

One thing, too, that I think not a lot of people realize is that you don't have to buy the food to get the toys. Sometimes my kids have heard of a Happy Meal toy they really thought was cool and wanted. So we just went in and bought the toys. I don't know why more parents don't just do that?
Its not about the toy.
These kids are not eating this food solely to get the mcdonalds toy, thats not the issue, its not that these kids are so enticed by a cheapo toy to that they MUST have the food to get it.

Its lazy parents not enforcing good eating habits and taking their kids there all the time and not feeding them properly at home.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,585,576 times
I think the whole obsession over what other people are feeding their kids is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Doesn't anyone have anything better to do?
Why don't you just take care of your own kids who will obviously grow up perfect due to all the carrots and health juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or