Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 AM

378 posts, read 574,520 times

Advertisements

Wow. We are supporting the use of chemical crowd control on little kids....

Did we turn evil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,332,366 times
I've heard about it a bit....what hasn't been mentioned here is that the child had already thrown and broken a television and had threatened the lives of students/teachers/staff. This was not just a kid throwing a tantrum - he was not simply "unruly". I believe he was already in a special class due to his anger issues. So the school and teachers were aware and able to handle "normal" anger situations. This had obviously gone beyond that. The whole situation is unfortunate. Not being there, I couldn't say what was appropriate. Wonder if, in trying to get the sharp thing out of his hand, he would have been bruised or worse? He wasn't tasered. He wasn't physically hurt. Maybe the pepper spray was the option with the least potential for harm to the child. Why on earth the mother felt the need to parade her child on local and national tv is beyond me.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-07-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,469,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why on earth the mother felt the need to parade her child on local and national tv is beyond me.
To bring the case to the attention of a pro bono attorney who will help her sue the police department for using excessive force?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,582,273 times
Unless you have tried to physically restrain a child in this type situation, you don't really have any idea what it requires. A child this out of control has so much momentum and force going that they are far stronger than normal. The strength it would take from an adult to restrain a child would almost certainly injure that same child.

I've had to restrain out of control children and then had to apologize to the parents for bruising their arms while holding them (in the approved restraint hold) and I am talking about children several years younger than this boy. Over the years I've been kicked, hit, almost bitten, stomped on, head butted and spit on.

The worst was a threat and move to kick me from a 10 yr old while I was 8 months pregnant. Thankfully he didn't follow through or I would have taken him down without worry about hurting him, no doubt in my mind at all. So yeah I can see the use of pepper spray being the best alternative in a situation like this.

The mother needs to step up and take responsibility as a parent to get this child the services he needs instead of being indignant and in denial.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,382,969 times
I honestly dont know how to feel about this, the kid was 8 how hard would it have been to disarm a kid weilding a piece of molding?
Seriously how much physical force would it have taken?
If it was a gun or other sort of hard impact projectile, sure disarm however you can.

Most if not all police wear kevlar vests, capeable of stopping bullets so a were they afraid a pointy flimsy piece of molding was going to penetrate?
Would the child @ 8 have the cunning to "aim for the eyes"?

I also ask myself this question every time I see a child commiting a violent act...
"what makes a kid so young even think to do something like this"

The mother is trash in my opinion for parading her kid in front of TV, but it's cash in her pocket.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,332,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I honestly dont know how to feel about this, the kid was 8 how hard would it have been to disarm a kid weilding a piece of molding?
Seriously how much physical force would it have taken?
If it was a gun or other sort of hard impact projectile, sure disarm however you can.

Most if not all police wear kevlar vests, capeable of stopping bullets so a were they afraid a pointy flimsy piece of molding was going to penetrate?
Would the child @ 8 have the cunning to "aim for the eyes"?

I also ask myself this question every time I see a child commiting a violent act...
"what makes a kid so young even think to do something like this"

The mother is trash in my opinion for parading her kid in front of TV, but it's cash in her pocket.
I doubt the police were "afraid" of the pointy moulding. My guess is they were afraid of the child either hurting himself or them hurting the child more by trying to disarm him during a violent episode. To my knowledge, pepper spray has no long lasting side effects. Apparently he is well enough to travel.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,351,773 times
The kid had it coming.

We need to be less tolerant of misbehavior as a society.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
Probably - but it sounds like the kid has some serious underlying issues. Nothing a little pepper spray and national talk show appearances can't clear up though.
LMAO!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
It sounds like pepper spray was the least aggressive solution. The boy coul dhave been physically hurt if they tried to overpower him with force.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 AM

2,239 posts, read 5,815,662 times
Let's be honest here. Given the mother's demeanor now ("He's a perfect angel at home; it's all the school's fault"), the police were probably smart not to lay a hand on the kid. She would be screaming police brutality and looking to sue the teachers, the school, and the police had that kid come away with so much as a scratch. An 8-year old in a rage can be a formidable thing to behold. And let's not forget the ages of the kids who shot up the school in Arkansas (one was 11), so don't assume that because he's only 8, he can't be dangerous. The child clearly has an established history of behavioral problems; I believe that they said on TV this was the third time the police had been called to the school due to his behavior. Child needs a good therapist ASAP, as does the mother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting