Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, we aren't.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

As I well know, having received a few infractions for same.
Then perhaps we should all refer to the original posting for this thread, which was:

"I have a niece who is 9 years old, her mom is about to put her into cheerleader and I think it would be a bad idea? I told my brother to focus her on the piano. Anyhow, I just believe cheerleading is just a bad idea because it just reinforce stereotypes and brainwashes them. What's your opinion about this?"

There is no comment in there about injuries, or the potential for injuries. That was brought up by other people and I simply continued the discussion, as did several others. So, if you would like to police the forum, then do what you feel is right, but you should start with the half-dozen "off-topic" posts that occurred before mine, rather than responding to their off-topic discussions, starting tangents of your own, then picking and choosing who to reprimand for not strictly adhering to the rules.

Personally, I thought it was closely enough related to the topic at hand, but we all have our own opinions. In any case, I'm finished discussing this. It's too nice of a day outside to quibble over something so trite.

Last edited by h886; 04-09-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
so I guess gymnastics, swimming and ballet are out too.
We'll cross that bridge when it comes. As it is, we find the cheerleading uniforms to be much more sexual due to the skirts and other things than those other mentioned sports.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We'll cross that bridge when it comes. As it is, we find the cheerleading uniforms to be much more sexual due to the skirts and other things than those other mentioned sports.
my daughter wears a long sleved body suit, a shell vest, a skirt, bloomers, knee socks and tennis shoes. If somebody sees something sexual about it, then they have the issue, not my girl.

My oldest, back 10 years ago, wanted to go to a summer camp with his freind. One of the requirements was that no one wears shorts because they were immodest. If there is some perv at the camp who looks at little kids in shorts and gets excited, they have a problem.

Yes, some clothing out there is a bit racy for girls. But we're talking about a uniform for a sport here.... not something they are going to wear to the mall.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I, however, feel that my child is not going out immodestly when she wears her uniform.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
The outfits don't seem to get real immodest until college. Even then, it depends on the school and the weather. At the U of CO, the cheers do have sweat pants that they wear when it's cold. Actually, even at my kids HS, they had sweats to wear in cold weather.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
my daughter wears a long sleved body suit, a shell vest, a skirt, bloomers, knee socks and tennis shoes. If somebody sees something sexual about it, then they have the issue, not my girl.

My oldest, back 10 years ago, wanted to go to a summer camp with his freind. One of the requirements was that no one wears shorts because they were immodest. If there is some perv at the camp who looks at little kids in shorts and gets excited, they have a problem.

Yes, some clothing out there is a bit racy for girls. But we're talking about a uniform for a sport here.... not something they are going to wear to the mall.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I, however, feel that my child is not going out immodestly when she wears her uniform.
Yes, exactly. There are many variations in what uniforms can look like. I've seen some on college and pro teams that are very skimpy and I wouldn't be comfortable with personally, but most uniforms for school teams have skirts that come down to a length well within the typical school dress code, and the girls have bloomers underneath. The tops aren't very revealing either, much less so than some of the blouses I see which are still in dress code. They're sleeveless, but that's about it.

But again, it's a personal choice and I respect that. I could understand if someone didn't feel comfortable with what it was, but I don't think what most girls actually wear on school teams is anywhere near to the style uniforms shown in movies and TV. It's up to each family to decide for themselves.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
We let our daughter (age 7 at the time) do cheer last year. She had a great time. The league was disorganized, the coach was a flake and most of the other moms (but not all) were attempting to live vicariously through their girls. Some of the hair, make up and "moves" were way too sexual - I do not find 7 year olds cute when they're attempting sexual style dance moves, and I believe anyone who does (mom, dad, grandparent or other) is sick. To top it all off, the cattiness of the moms at the end of the season was just too much.

I broke the news to my daughter that she will not be going back again. She and another of the girls from her squad will be taking horse back riding lessons and training in how to take care of horses at a nearby ranch instead.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 PM

121 posts, read 385,614 times
This is my brothers only child, so it is important that she is raised correctly. I don't believe that I should just stand by and watch her mom choose the wrong path for her child. Would you let your niece play video games all day, and not speak up against it because it's not your business?

I am just looking out for my niece best interest in getting into the best college. I am the most successful one in my family, so I understand education and upbringing plays a lot to a person's mentality. From growing up, I have known a lot of cheerleaders that have not turn out so well (G. Bush).

I think the best route would be drawing, art, foreign language, or girl scouts. The world does not need another dancer.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We let our daughter (age 7 at the time) do cheer last year. She had a great time. The league was disorganized, the coach was a flake and most of the other moms (but not all) were attempting to live vicariously through their girls. Some of the hair, make up and "moves" were way too sexual - I do not find 7 year olds cute when they're attempting sexual style dance moves, and I believe anyone who does (mom, dad, grandparent or other) is sick. To top it all off, the cattiness of the moms at the end of the season was just too much.

I broke the news to my daughter that she will not be going back again. She and another of the girls from her squad will be taking horse back riding lessons and training in how to take care of horses at a nearby ranch instead.
I agree. You see some of that in gymnastics as well. I really do think the younger ages are for exploring what's out there, not focusing on one sport.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:09 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwins View Post
I have a niece who is 9 years old, her mom is about to put her into cheerleader and I think it would be a bad idea? I told my brother to focus her on the piano. Anyhow, I just believe cheerleading is just a bad idea because it just reinforce stereotypes and brainwashes them. What's your opinion about this?
I agree with you. I'd rather see my girls playing the sport than cheering those who do. However, although my daughter shares this view, her daughter is doing competion cheerleading which is just as athletic as any sport.
If your niece would enjoy it then who are we to say, as long as it's not about appearance. Like I tell my GD, being cute is not an accomplishment.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwins View Post
This is my brothers only child, so it is important that she is raised correctly. I don't believe that I should just stand by and watch her mom choose the wrong path for her child. Would you let your niece play video games all day, and not speak up against it because it's not your business?

I am just looking out for my niece best interest in getting into the best college. I am the most successful one in my family, so I understand education and upbringing plays a lot to a person's mentality. From growing up, I have known a lot of cheerleaders that have not turn out so well (G. Bush).

I think the best route would be drawing, art, foreign language, or girl scouts. The world does not need another dancer.
I can understand the desire to say something, but in the long run I worry it causes more harm than good. It's really up to the mother and father to decide what they think is best for their child, and that may not always agree with what every family member thinks. If it were something truly harmful to the child, I think perhaps you could mention something to your brother. But this sounds to me like more of a difference of opinion.

And for the record, I think all the things you listed (drawing, art, foreign language, music, girl scouts) are valuable... and I think dance and cheer can be also. It really depends on the child and what they are interested in. At a young age, she should try as many of those activities as interest her so that she can determine which ones she truly enjoys and which ones aren't really her cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting