Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:41 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwins View Post
This is my brothers only child, so it is important that she is raised correctly. I don't believe that I should just stand by and watch her mom choose the wrong path for her child. Would you let your niece play video games all day, and not speak up against it because it's not your business?

I am just looking out for my niece best interest in getting into the best college. I am the most successful one in my family, so I understand education and upbringing plays a lot to a person's mentality. From growing up, I have known a lot of cheerleaders that have not turn out so well (G. Bush).

I think the best route would be drawing, art, foreign language, or girl scouts. The world does not need another dancer.
Yes, IMO that's exactly what you should do. Just stand by and watch her mom do what her mom thinks best. Whether you think she'll be successful or not. Because she's not your daughter.

Whether the world needs another dancer is a highly subjective question and not really for you to answer, regarding someone else's child.

"Correctly" is also in the eye of the beholder. So is "successful", for that matter. If I was your SIL I would highly resent your meddling into my family's affairs. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Also, out here most people have absolutely no respect for cheerleaders. It's just not a cheerleading areas as others are. Then there is the issue that many squads have moves that are much too sexual in nature for young girls to be performing in our opinions.
Totally agree with you, psr. I've seen some moves at SoCal schools that are one big .

Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
Quote:
This is my brothers only child, so it is important that she is raised correctly. I don't believe that I should just stand by and watch her mom choose the wrong path for her child. Would you let your niece play video games all day, and not speak up against it because it's not your business?

I am just looking out for my niece best interest in getting into the best college. I am the most successful one in my family, so I understand education and upbringing plays a lot to a person's mentality. From growing up, I have known a lot of cheerleaders that have not turn out so well (G. Bush).

I think the best route would be drawing, art, foreign language, or girl scouts. The world does not need another dancer.
Why is it up to you to determine which path is correct for your neice? Her mom seems to be around... where is her father? Do you not respect his influence on his daughter (I assume he had the same education and upbringing that played into your successful mentality)?

How is your turning your nose up at cheerleaders as lowly dancers going to influence your neice's opinions? Would it be better to force her into an activity she doesn't enjoy than to encourage her in one that she has an interest in?

Just a couple cheerleaders who did more than 'dance'.
Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

Not all beautiful cheerleaders end up becoming famous for something related to their looks and performance abilities. Ruth Bader Ginsberg is an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court with many distinctions including being the first Jewish woman to serve on the Supreme Court. And yes, before ending up as a lawyer, judge and Supreme Court justice, Ginsberg was once a cheerleader.

Katie Couric

Katie is Co-anchor of NBC's Today show and an Emmy Award winner.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:58 PM

323 posts, read 529,106 times
Where I live they have high school cheer leading which is free, but the money maker is the private cheerleader organizations. I have 2 employees that have girls age 6-11 involved. They stress over the practice schedule, cost and travel time for competition.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:22 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:

I'll put this in simple terms, BUTT OUT!

It's none of your business and if I were told by my sister how to raise MY KIDS I'd tell her in no uncertain terms to "butt out". I'm the one raising my kids, I live with them and see them every single day, I'm the one involved in their lives 24/7 and I'm the one supporting them. Unless YOU are the one footing the bill you have ZILCH word in the matter.

My sis has an only child as well and I don't exactly care for the way she is being raised nor for the disjointed marriage of her parents but it's NONE OF MY BUSINESS! I'm not supporting them. I'm not paying their bills. I'm not the one raising THEIR CHILD! It's THEIR child, NOT MINE! I don't care for the fact they will not allow her to be in ANY KIND of activity whatsoever even though the child has shown plenty of interests in many. It's still NONE OF MY BUSINESS! Plain and simple.

As for your being the most successful in your family, good for you. That does not mean that kids that participate in cheerleading as KIDS are not going to get into the best schools. How about for a FACT I know of one cheerleader that not only graduated at the top of her high school class but did so in ALL IB CLASSES (check that out) and was admitted into an Ivy. Yes, that cheerleading really hampered her education My daughter that is a school cheerleader (tryouts were today and she made the squad ), is a competitive cheerleader also happens to be in HONORS BAND and is FIRST CHAIR, is in a MAGNET school in ALL HONORS CLASSES and a STRAIGHT A STUDENT. Yes, that cheerleading is really ruining her academic success, NOT! No, it shows she is a well rounded student and can actually SOCIALIZE with others THAT is what the top schools are WANTING.

I want to know just what crystal ball YOU HAVE that tells you NOW that this 9 year old is being lead down the wrong path by her mother? All because she wants to check out doing some cheerleading? SERIOUSLY! She CAN do cheer and still keep the piano lessons going. Piano is a single person activity, btw. Whereas participating in a sport of interest that involves a TEAM can have A LOT of benefits down the road. Which I'm guessing you were never a part of or else you would know that it takes TEAMWORK and everyone is different and we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. One needs to learn how to play and work well with others. By butting into your brothers family and trying to tell them how to raise THEIR CHILD, not the signs of someone that really is all that successful. Just sayin........

Hmmm, just wondering.......... if the brother had two or more kids if the OP would be so upset that they might be destroying one of their childrens future potential for success.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 04-09-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 05:26 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
This is my brothers only child, so it is important that she is raised correctly. I don't believe that I should just stand by and watch her mom choose the wrong path for her child.
If this is THAT important to you then why do you not go get a lawyer and fight for custody. Afterall, you seem to be the one that thinks they know what is best for this child over her own parents.

Please let us know how that works out for you.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:

1. Her parents decide what it means to raiser her "correctly."
2. Her parents decide what is the "right path" for their daughter.
3. If her parents decide to let her play video games all day it's not your business,
4. It's her parents job to help her make the right decisions about college.
5. Cheerleading CAN help a child get into college. There are even scholarships available for cheerleaders.
6. It's her parents job to help her be successful.
7. While I am no GWB fan I think he turned out ok. He wound up to be a 2 term President of the US. I would say that's pretty successful.
8. It's her parents job to decide what activities she should pursue.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I will add,

9. The child is 9 years old, presumably in 3rd or 4th grade. Despite what you may have read/heard/believed, it is way too early to worry about which extra-curricular activities will get her into college/get her a college scholarship. This is the time in her life for her to explore different activities. If she wants to spend a year doing cheerleading, so be it.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
For my own children, I discourage cheerleading on the level with all the competitions, high flips, pyramids, skimpy bare mid rif costumes and possible injuries. I know most of that comes in highschool but a lot of middle schools are into that too. I wouldn't want all that mother competition like beauty pageant moms either. not for us.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
For my own children, I discourage cheerleading on the level with all the competitions, high flips, pyramids, skimpy bare mid rif costumes and possible injuries. I know most of that comes in highschool but a lot of middle schools are into that too. I wouldn't want all that mother competition like beauty pageant moms either. not for us.
That is how I feel about it too. If one of mine expressed a genuine interest (not the "oh that sounds fun" but two weeks later she's sick of it kind of deal) to be a cheerleader then I would allow her to do it, but I would so much rather they do other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting