Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

I don't think the problem is with the kid. I think the problem is with the parents.

The kid keeps getting things stolen and their solution/reaction is to just keep buying him new things? Seriously? What is wrong with this picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 04:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdropinn View Post
i don't think the problem is with the kid. I think the problem is with the parents.

The kid keeps getting things stolen and their solution/reaction is to just keep buying him new things? Seriously? What is wrong with this picture?
I totally agree.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:41 PM

385 posts, read 859,238 times
if he were my son, I would buy him self defense classes, then after he has learned to keep what is his then I would buy him a new phone

Old 04-09-2011, 05:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I was at a tmobile store yesterday trying to figure out why my phone was making me want to pitch it in a lake.
A boy and his parents were looking at phones, well actually the boy was moping around the store because he couldn't find a phone he liked. They were near me and I gave them some advice on phones and which ones to steer clear of. The sales guy brought out the boy a blackberry, WHICH HIS PARENTS WERE WILLING TO PAY FOR, he had to of been about 15 or 14 even. He looked so miserable and didn't even want to look at the phone, any of the phones for that matter, and I kept hearing him say all he wanted was his old phone back.

Shortly before leaving I heard his mom say to the sales guy that any phone that he DID liked was going to get stolen because some kids just go after his things in particular and make a point to steal them from him because they like what he has.

What would you do if other kids made a point to try to steal from your kid just because he/she had nice stuff?
The kid sounds smarter than the parents.

It's asking for it to bring expensive items to school, most likely he's going to want to take the phone to school and he's right - kids in many schools steal things.

Where my kids go to school, a lot of kids are on welfare and they will steal whatever they want because their parent's won't buy it for them, a kid takes a nice iPod to school - guess what - it's stolen. The parents of these young thieves never question where their kid got stuff.

So yes, it's smarter if you want a phone that others aren't constantly going to try to take away to just buy one everyone isn't trying to steal.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:05 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Some kids are taught by their parents to steal so that the family can keep or sell whatever.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
personally i dont worry or think about conversations i overhear out in public.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 PM

378 posts, read 576,865 times
My advice is to talk with the parents of the other kid and follow through with a civil suit. It will set an example for both children. The thief will learn not to steal and the victim will learn how to handle these situations like an adult.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:33 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
My advice is to talk with the parents of the other kid and follow through with a civil suit. It will set an example for both children. The thief will learn not to steal and the victim will learn how to handle these situations like an adult.
she doesnt even know these people. its strangers she met in a store. and presumably will never see again...

Old 04-10-2011, 03:34 PM

378 posts, read 576,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
she doesnt even know these people. its strangers she met in a store. and presumably will never see again...
I know, which is why it is formulated as general advice to ay parents that actually have a kid in this situation.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
Hmm. If this kid were selling his things, why would he decline an item with a high street value like a blackberry?

Certain schools do have a rampant stealing culture and some do not. Oddly, the economic landscape of the school district does not seem to have a logical bearing at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting