Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I agree with you. But I also know in the real world that if Main Street Elementary School gave out cookies to celebrate Ramadan there would be more than a few complaints.
And this is where recognizing that we are not the center of the universe and displays of celebration of something we don't take part in isn't synonymous with an attack on other belief systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Spring ellipses

School. Fail.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 AM

345 posts, read 474,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Before posting about "how it's not fair to the other kids", imagine if YOU were the one who didn't celebrate. I'm sure you wouldn't be thrilled..

Imagine if your your tax dollar went to pay for art which covered your Savior in urine or his mother in dung. I'm sure you wouldn't be thrilled. On a relative scale hearing "Merry Crhistmas" really pales in comparison, doesn't it? Suck it up and de with it. Anyone ever notice that in general the stupid unwashed inbred Christians deal with these thing a whole lot better educated and tolerant non-believers?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:46 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
Imagine if your your tax dollar went to pay for art which covered your Savior in urine or his mother in dung. I'm sure you wouldn't be thrilled. On a relative scale hearing "Merry Crhistmas" really pales in comparison, doesn't it? Suck it up and de with it. Anyone ever notice that in general the stupid unwashed inbred Christians deal with these thing a whole lot better educated and tolerant non-believers?
Oh goodness. You had to go there with your last statement? Very very few people have an actual issue with saying "Merry Christmas". However, there's nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays" if you, for example, live in a neighborhood with a wide variety of people of faith.

I would rather say Happy Holidays to my local Jewish/Hindu/Islamic storekeeper than Merry Christmas, because it still offers good wishes of the general season while respecting the fact that many of your neighbors DO NOT celebrate Christmas.

That's all it is, for most people. A simple acknowledgement that somebody just may not be celebrating the same occasion as yourself, and that you wish them well in general.

I still have no idea how people equate this with intolerance. I'm not intolerant of people celebrating Christmas, however if you live somewhere beyond really small town USA it's just good manners to acknowledge that others may not.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh goodness. You had to go there with your last statement? Very very few people have an actual issue with saying "Merry Christmas". However, there's nothing wrong with saying "Happy Holidays" if you, for example, live in a neighborhood with a wide variety of people of faith.

I would rather say Happy Holidays to my local Jewish/Hindu/Islamic storekeeper than Merry Christmas, because it still offers good wishes of the general season while respecting the fact that many of your neighbors DO NOT celebrate Christmas.

That's all it is, for most people. A simple acknowledgement that somebody just may not be celebrating the same occasion as yourself, and that you wish them well in general.

I still have no idea how people equate this with intolerance. I'm not intolerant of people celebrating Christmas, however if you live somewhere beyond really small town USA it's just good manners to acknowledge that others may not.

As a rule it is the case that people are given religion specific greetings if the religion is known. But an evergreen tree that is decorated with lights and ornaments is a Christmas Tree. It is not a Winter Celebration Gathering Object. Will it kill anyone to call it a Christmas Tree?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:54 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
As a rule it is the case that people are given religion specific greetings if the religion is known. But an evergreen tree that is decorated with lights and ornaments is a Christmas Tree. It is not a Winter Celebration Gathering Object. Will it kill anyone to call it a Christmas Tree?
Who doesn't call it a Christmas tree, if it's a Christmas tree? Really, who?

I know there's a few cases of public buildings in big cities where it's a bit of an issue - but generally speaking, I don't know of anybody who doesn't call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree, whatever their religion or lack thereof.

The original story that started this thread has already been debunked. We don't know of anyone specifically that doesn't call an Easter Egg an Easter Egg.

I think the kids can sleep safely in their beds knowing that Chocolate Easter Bunnies and Christmas trees are safe in their homes.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Who doesn't call it a Christmas tree, if it's a Christmas tree? Really, who?

I know there's a few cases of public buildings in big cities where it's a bit of an issue - but generally speaking, I don't know of anybody who doesn't call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree, whatever their religion or lack thereof.

The original story that started this thread has already been debunked. We don't know of anyone specifically that doesn't call an Easter Egg an Easter Egg.

I think the kids can sleep safely in their beds knowing that Chocolate Easter Bunnies and Christmas trees are safe in their homes.
What about the Peeps? There is no Easter wihtout Peeps!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Quote:
Anyone ever notice that in general the stupid unwashed inbred Christians deal with these thing a whole lot better educated and tolerant non-believers?
Really? Try getting one to willingly admit that the majority of symbols and holidays they use to celebrate Christianity and the Christian story are really hijacked from other religions, most often Paganism. This includes Easter and Christmas, and even the "Jesus fish" symbol itself.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Anyone ever notice that in general the stupid unwashed inbred Christians deal with these thing a whole lot better educated and tolerant non-believers?
No, I haven't noticed that. I think there are provocative ignoramuses on both sides. Pat "The Earthquake Was Just God's Way of Saying He's Mad at Haiti" Robertson comes to mind. This hoax was probably started by one such ignoramus.

This particular story was debunked or is at least not credible. I think a new, general thread, about how parents deal with messages in school that conflict with what they teach their children, would be useful.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No, I haven't noticed that. I think there are provocative ignoramuses on both sides. Pat "The Earthquake Was Just God's Way of Saying He's Mad at Haiti" Robertson comes to mind. This hoax was probably started by one such ignoramus.

This particular story was debunked or is at least not credible. I think a new, general thread, about how parents deal with messages in school that conflict with what they teach their children, would be useful.

Pat Robertson and his ilk are idiots. But that doesn't change the PCmania that exists.

I lice in a mid-sized Midwestern town. Our town's Christmas light display is now the "Celebration of Winter". Care to explain how that makes everyone more inclusive or tolerant? We have differences, being forced to hide those differences strips us of our individualism (note: I'm not talking about hate groups).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting