U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,164,896 times

Advertisements

When I grew up we had Christmas Vacation, Easter Vacation. We celebrated Halloween by dressing up and parading through the hallways of the school. We had Valentines day parties where we passed our Valentines out and we said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning. People are making things so much more difficult these days with all this political correctness c**p. Why do we have to do without because some don't believe. If we get rid of the religious holidays in school that makes some happy, but not all, why would that be fair? My daughters 3rd grade class was not allowed to celebrate Halloween at all because of one child in her class. Is that fair to the other 25 children? No it isn't. Back in my day, if there were kids who didn't celebrate, they stayed home on that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 PM

486 posts, read 1,488,187 times
Just keep religion and religious holidays out of schools- period. It's not just about Christianity and Judaism too. There are other religious kids who don't have their holidays acknowledged either. Separation or Church and State and Schools is the way to go IMO.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 PM

9,173 posts, read 7,032,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I know this is off topic, but for those of us from "elsewhere", the whole Valentine's Day celebration is weird. For me Valentine's Day was an expression of love only for your love, or intended love. The whole give granny and teacher's and neighbor's Valentine's was difficult to adjust to. It just seemed a little.....inappropriate maybe. I have gotten used to it now, but just giving a different perspective on it.
Well kiss me silly and buy me chocolate - somebody finally feels the same way I do about Valentine's Day - MrFR thought I was bonkers for thinking it's weird for him to get Valentine's cards from his MOTHER.

It's just weird. Valentine's is for lovers, not family members. Ick.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,164,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
Just keep religion and religious holidays out of schools- period. It's not just about Christianity and Judaism too. There are other religious kids who don't have their holidays acknowledged either. Separation or Church and State and Schools is the way to go IMO.
What about Valentines Day, Halloween and St. Patricks day? These are not religious holidays, so should they still be allowed even though there are some religions that don't celebrate anything such as the Jehovah Witness'?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:43 PM

486 posts, read 1,488,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
What about Valentines Day, Halloween and St. Patricks day? These are not religious holidays, so should they still be allowed even though there are some religions that don't celebrate anything such as the Jehovah Witness'?
Just my opinion, but if there are prayers and religous aspects to a holiday then don't celebrate them in schools... I remember sitting silent in chorus class while everyone sang religious Xmas songs feeling really uncomfortable.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:46 PM

9,173 posts, read 7,032,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
That's not true. There are two sides, and that would only satisfy one of them.I had not heard it was a hoax, but it does open dialogue on the subject and how political correctness has taken on a life of it's own.

Valentine's Day has nothing to do with religion, so what exactly is the objection?

I grew up in a Christian community. It was a small town where dads went to work at factories 40 miles away in the city, and moms stayed at home with the little ones and there when kids got home from school. It was a very sheltered way of life.

We celebrated Christmas, Easter and all other holidays at school and called them what they were. We had a moment of silence at the beginning of each school day.

I, along with everyone I was surrounded by, was oblivious to any other religion or customs practiced anywhere else. We were painfully uneducated in the real world. HOWEVER, we had a high school english teacher who was in charge of our local church youth group. He was determined to educate us in matters of the religious world to the best of his ability.

Each month he exposed some of us to a different religious experience. We went to the Catholic church, a Buddhest temple, a Baptist church (our community was mostly Methodist), etc.. He took us to all that was within about 90 miles of us that was different.

My point: Avoidance of everything that doesn't agree with one's narrow mind isn't the answer. It's a beautiful thing when we can accept and celebrate everyone. The very first time I knew a Jewish person was a language teacher in high school. A huge group of kids made every effort to make her feel welcome, and celebrated the Jewish holidays right along with all things Christian.

I, as a parent have talked endlessly to my children about religion and left it open to them. Political correctness is not a part of our home. We disregard it at all costs.

Kids benefit most with an open mind with all possible. Political correctness closes minds and has no place in our communities and country.
It's not about that. It's great that you included Jewish holidays. I don't mind Christmas being called Christmas or Easter being called Easter, or the fact that people celebrate those or anything else they might care to celebrate. It doesn't mean if you don't want to participate in the religious aspects of those that you're "avoiding" the things you don't practice.

I think kids need to be educated about the religions of the world and what they mean historically and culturally.

Everybody is free to celebrate their religious beliefs to whatever degree they wish in their homes and churches. I don't think there's a place for it in public school. If you want your children to be educated in a Christian environment with people of like minds then send them to a Christian school.

There are too many people who believe to many things to make public school a religious environment suitable for all.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM

4,549 posts, read 9,724,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Why do we have to do without because some don't believe. If we get rid of the religious holidays in school that makes some happy, but not all, why would that be fair? My daughters 3rd grade class was not allowed to celebrate Halloween at all because of one child in her class. Is that fair to the other 25 children? No it isn't. Back in my day, if there were kids who didn't celebrate, they stayed home on that day.
Ahhh... so as long as they are doing what YOU believe. Got it.

You really think the kids who do not observe the Christian holidays should just stay home? How is that fair?

JustJulia is right - this is turning into a religious debate when it really shouldn't.

The bottom line is, teaching kids the cultural differences, etc. regarding religions of the world is fine. Celebrating specific holiday in the classroom isn't. Where do you draw the line? If you include all the religious holidays then the teachers would probably not have time to actually teach.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 PM

4,549 posts, read 9,724,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well kiss me silly and buy me chocolate - somebody finally feels the same way I do about Valentine's Day - MrFR thought I was bonkers for thinking it's weird for him to get Valentine's cards from his MOTHER.

It's just weird. Valentine's is for lovers, not family members. Ick.
I'm in agreement with you guys - it is weird. The card and candy makers wanted to extend it to all so they could make more money I think!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,165,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
Then you won't mind next school year when your kids have school on Thanksgiving (many see that as a Christian holiday), Christmas and Good Friday. If we are not going to allow the kids to celebrate any holiday that is linked to a religious holiday then that means taking away all school holidays that were given for that purpose.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,214,794 times
I think this is a great parenting discussion as it comes up repeatedly in my kids school. Our big Thanksgiving luncheon, cutely titled "Grandparents luncheon" was held on Ramadan, a very big oops, which effectively excluded our Muslim kids from participating. That really stemmed from people not being being informed, and not being considerate to others. I don't think that's asking too much.

I personally think it would be quite interesting to include celebrations, but the problem lies how many do you include, and how do you deal with those whose religious/cultural traditions are not included?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or