U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 AM

157 posts, read 114,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
There isn't any harm in that. But how do you celebrate Easter while leaving out the religious aspect? What would be the reason to celebrate? Easter is a religious holiday. If you're going to leave out the religious aspect, then you might as well call Easter Eggs "Spring Ovoids".

I mean, isn't that what's already happening? They're already having parties around the holidays leaving religion out of it. If they call it a Winter party or Holiday party, where's the actual harm in that? Celebrating the spirit of the season at school in a religion non specific way and then going home and following your own religious tradition sounds like a good compromise.

I guess I don't really get your original questions, regarding teaching one thing at home and the opposite in school. What opposites are they teaching?
Maybe "celebrate" isn't the right way to go about it. "Recognize or acknowledge" might be the better way in public schools.

Any idiot would see an Easter egg is just that, an Easter egg. Why try to disguise it as something else, or make it more than it reallly is? That's what is bothersome. People go out of their way in the name of PC to drown out age old traditions.

It's sad when you think about it. Traditional parties that kids have looked forward to over the course of the school year have been taken away. Recess has been taken away. All kids have to look forward to anymore is the end of the school year, and it's been debated to not have that as well.

I agree that Easter really doesn't have a place in schools since it is always on a Sunday, but just acknowledging it isn't wrong. The young teen in the story had her heart in the right place knowing the kids would relate with the filled eggs. Had the teacher not insisted they not be called Easter eggs, the whole country would never have known that she, an elementary school teacher, does not know what a sphere is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 AM

157 posts, read 114,321 times
It must be very confusing for kids learning values. They are taught now to be tolerant of everything except tolerance.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 AM

9,173 posts, read 7,032,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post
Maybe "celebrate" isn't the right way to go about it. "Recognize or acknowledge" might be the better way in public schools.

Any idiot would see an Easter egg is just that, an Easter egg. Why try to disguise it as something else, or make it more than it reallly is? That's what is bothersome. People go out of their way in the name of PC to drown out age old traditions.

It's sad when you think about it. Traditional parties that kids have looked forward to over the course of the school year have been taken away. Recess has been taken away. All kids have to look forward to anymore is the end of the school year, and it's been debated to not have that as well.

I agree that Easter really doesn't have a place in schools since it is always on a Sunday, but just acknowledging it isn't wrong. The young teen in the story had her heart in the right place knowing the kids would relate with the filled eggs. Had the teacher not insisted they not be called Easter eggs, the whole country would never have known that she, an elementary school teacher, does not know what a sphere is.
It would appear that the young teen in the story was playing a young teen prank. Which would explain why she said the "teacher" insisted on calling them "Spring spheres".

Looks like this young teen knows how to use a cell phone but nothing about geometry.

Quote:
It must be very confusing for kids learning values. They are taught now to be tolerant of everything except tolerance.
I don't see how any of this pertains to values. I'm not being snarky, I just don't get how not celebrating religious holidays in school equates to intolerance.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:41 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,195,563 times
Quote:

As somebody pointed out, the only evidence that this ever happened is that a teenager called a radio show and said so. It was likely a prank--there's no indication of which school actually did this. It's an urban legend.

My son's school has two recesses and a moment of silence after the Pledge, if it makes you feel better. And they acknowledge St. Patrick's and Valentine's Day and have a Halloween costume parade. But they don't let strangers hand out plastic eggs full of candy to children, so granted, it's not ideal.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,165,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's great, as long as you are not going to be offended when you bid someone a Merry Christmas, and they respond with Happy Hannukah.
I would not mind at all. I've had Jewish friends from childhood. We both RESPECT each other and we both KNOW that the other celebrates a different holiday. They know we celebrate Christmas and will tell us to have a "Merry Christmas" and we know they celebrate Hannukah so we will tell them "Happy Hannukah". We are wishing each other the holiday that THEY are celebrating. One good friend that is Jewish has actually been able thru elementary school to come up to her kids class during Hannukah and teach the kids dreidel. So there are a lot of Christian kids in these parts that know dreidel. My oldest even spent the night with a Jewish friend during Hannukah and participated. One local Baptist church even holds a Seder.

The key word missing in this whole thing is the word I just used above in bold, RESPECT. I didn't say tolerance. I said RESPECT. They are two different words and meanings. I'm more than happy to respect others that have different views and them being able to OPENLY practice their religion and they need to respect MY religion and beliefs as well and not feel the need to persucute me for doing so. So, when I say the word "Christmas" in public I should never feel ashamed at all because someone else is not Christian. I'm not going to persecute them for saying "Hannukah" or whatever else they may say and celebrate.

Quote:
I never suggested we teach religions in public schools, although world religions would be a great class for high schools.
Our public schools DO teach religions. They have a study about world religions. My kids know all about other religions and it's not that big of a deal. In many of the advanced Lit classes they even discuss the connections some works have in reference to passages in the Bible.

What is the harm in kids having parties around holidays leaving out the religious aspect? NONE.
That's about how all school "Holiday Parties" are. There is nothing religious about the way they are celebrated at all. In our area now there are only 2 holidays that get a party during school and they are at the very end of the day for all elementary grades: Christmas and Valentines. At the Christmas or "Holiday Party" the kids usually snack on snacks that have been furnished from the parents such as pretzels, grapes, goldfish and a cookie or cupcake. If they have a gift for a teacher they give it to them then and maybe exchange a small gift w/ close friends. For Valentine's they exchange Valentine's w/ their class (and you must have one for everyone) and then snack on the same kinds of snacks I just mentioned. They last all of about 20-30 minutes. They might play bingo or something and a few times might make a small easy craft that's not religious at all.

For Easter it's usually only the kindergarten classes that will do something and all they do is an "Egg Hunt" and it takes all of 15 minutes and it's just a break in the day for them as they are there all day. Same for Halloween, only kinder is usually allowed to wear any costume to school IF the principal at that school allows it and they can not wear any face mask or makeup, must follow school guidelines for dress, can not be inappropriate, etc. That's all they do and the teacher or room parents might have a small treat or something for them they will hand out to them at the end of the day as they are leaving.

There you go. All most EVERYTHING shuts down for Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter, even government offices. They don't care what it's called as long as they don't have to work but still get paid.
I KNOW! If this country had not had a bases in Christianity when it was founded and then later on as federal holidays were set then we would not have these days off.

Nobody wants to admit it, but there's a reason for office parties, school parties, school breaks, etc., being at the end of December; IT'S BECAUSE IT'S CHRISTMAS !!! The spirit of it all is warming to the heart and soul. I never tire of saying Merry Christmas to everybody I come across during the month of December. Happy Holidays? What 'holidays'? CHRISTMAS, of course !! There something about Christmas that makes people want to help a little more, and be cordial to family, friends and strangers alike. There's nothing wrong with celebrating the spirit of Christmas at school. It has nothing to do with religion.

Nothing wrong with calling Easter eggs Easter eggs either.

And parents everywhere sent in cookies, small gifts, whatever the occasion called for, and nobody was stoned or damned to hell.

As for Halloween, MOST people with kids celebrate it with trick-or-treating and schools always USED to have a party.

Bah, humbug.

I believe the religious areas should be left to parents at home, but I also believe children should be taught at least some things about other religions. Parents expose kids to every sport imaginable from very early on, but leave out the spiritual roundedness.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I would not mind at all. I've had Jewish friends from childhood. We both RESPECT each other and we both KNOW that the other celebrates a different holiday. They know we celebrate Christmas and will tell us to have a "Merry Christmas" and we know they celebrate Hannukah so we will tell them "Happy Hannukah". We are wishing each other the holiday that THEY are celebrating. One good friend that is Jewish has actually been able thru elementary school to come up to her kids class during Hannukah and teach the kids dreidel. So there are a lot of Christian kids in these parts that know dreidel. My oldest even spent the night with a Jewish friend during Hannukah and participated. One local Baptist church even holds a Seder.

The key word missing in this whole thing is the word I just used above in bold, RESPECT. I didn't say tolerance. I said RESPECT. They are two different words and meanings. I'm more than happy to respect others that have different views and them being able to OPENLY practice their religion and they need to respect MY religion and beliefs as well and not feel the need to persucute me for doing so. So, when I say the word "Christmas" in public I should never feel ashamed at all because someone else is not Christian. I'm not going to persecute them for saying "Hannukah" or whatever else they may say and celebrate.
Nice rant, but who exactly said you should not say "Christmas" in public?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,165,622 times
Quote:
Nice rant, but who exactly said you should not say "Christmas" in public?
The comment you quoted me on was in direct response to the quote below from another poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Still, I would likely call it the winter break, the break that occurs during the winter months. To me, it doesn't make a huge difference one way or another. Our family knows we celebrate Christmas over that break. If by my calling it winter break in public, I avoid making someone else who doesn't celebrate the same holidays I do feel uncomfortable or slighted, I feel that's a good enough reason for me.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 AM

12,982 posts, read 12,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The comment you quoted me on was in direct response to the quote below from another poster.
Wow, then you have mad skills, that is not how I interpreted that post at all. Carry on.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,246,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I went to catholic school my whole life and K-8th grade I attended a really strict observant catholic school. We where only allowed to celebrate the religious aspects of holidays. It was dull to say the least. We where required to do stations of the cross TWICE before easter. It was like torture.

In college I went to a really liberal college which embraced everyone. So you where allowed to take any holiday which pertained to your religion or culture off if it wasn't given. We got off Yom Kippur, Roshashana (forgive me if I can't spell these) Christmas break, Spring Break. But we didn't get off for easter. I also chose to take off Ramadan and Dwali and various other days.
Unless you had to attend classes on a Sunday, you got Easter off.

Edited to add - You got Yom Kippur spot on. Rosh Hashanah is two words. Not bad for transliterating from a whole nother alphabet!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,318,114 times
Quote:
Easter Eggs? Call Them 'Spring Spheres,' Seattle Teacher Reportedly Instructs Teen Volunteer - ParentDish

Christmas vacation has become winter break, now Easter eggs have become spring spheres? What's a parent to do?

How do we, as parents and human beings allow this political correctness to invade every aspect of our lives?

How do we teach our children one thing at home, only to find out they are taught the opposite at school?

Therein lies the breakdown between home and school. Kids will believe what their parents tell them, and if what they learn at school is opposite, or way off mark, they take it as lying and confusing.

Will YOUR kids be coloring Easter eggs, or spring spheres this year?
Okay, I see two issues, which have completely different responses.

One is the actual question: whether there are some things that are just secularized into silliness, to which I, as a non-Christian, will agree. (Spring spheres? Really? Kind of like the idea that Rudolph the Reindeer is okay in school, but baby Jesus is not-- like the Rudolph story would exist without Christmas? And don't get me started on Ecumenical Shrubbery.)

The second is that this whole tempest is over something some teenager claims happened (though she won't substantiate precisely where, only "public elementary school") on an op/ed blogsite. The blogsite is attached to a talk radio station (again, not exactly a bastion of real news). Note that it's to do with a project the teen suggested herself, not something the classroom teacher initiated. And note that the teen is privately schooled, herself.

To me, this story carries just the faintest aroma of s*it-stirring, with a side of "slow news day".

Quote:
This story was debunked in P&OC. One news source alledges that there was one anonymous phone call from a teen to a radio show alledging that this incident happened (teens have never been known to make prank calls!!!). There is no other verfication that this ever happened.
Oh, well...there ya go. I should learn to read ahead, I guess.

Last edited by Aconite; 04-13-2011 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or