U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:00 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,584,737 times

Advertisements

Yea, I don't plan on taking my son to Hooters either. We're going right to the strip club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 05:10 PM

13,262 posts, read 33,673,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Yea, I don't plan on taking my son to Hooters either. We're going right to the strip club.
You're missing out on the wings then. I feel sorry for your son. He's being horribly neglected.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,151,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post

and to the bar right after

Old 11-14-2010, 06:00 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,309,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I watched the Undercover Boss about the CEO of Hooters, and I know it is not the intention of the company to be running a restaurant for men only. It's intended to be a family restaurant.
And yet they refuse to hire young males as servers.

Verrrry interesting.

And no one has answered my question re: a similar restaurant aimed at young women.

If there was such a place, would you take your adolescent daughters there? Why or why not?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,309,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
And no one has answered my question re: a similar restaurant aimed at young women.

If there was such a place, would you take your adolescent daughters there? Why or why not?
I realized it may be unfair to put many of you parents on the hot seat without weighing in myself.

So, here it is. Gloves off.

Let's not pretend that this establishment is not "sexualized", because it IS. Pretending otherwise just makes the farce more ludicrous.

Sooo, as the parent of a girl child, would I have taken my daughter to a "female" version of "Hooters"?

The female "Hooters" would be called Long Dong Silvers or something equally inane I suppose . The waitstaff would be young and male. They would all wear tight-tight jeans and muscle shirts with deep v-necks. None would be over-weight and they would all have straight white teeth and wavy, but short, hair.

They work very hard for their tips.

The theme is still bad fried food and sports on TV. Only since this is a chick-bar, the sports would be gymnastics and cheerleading. The drinks would be Bellinis and Cosmos instead of beer.

I often meet my friends and female co-workers here for the eye can....errrr I mean the excellent baked brie.

Would I take my 8-10 year old daughter there? Hell no. It's a bar???

At 12-16? Possibly. This is a good time to explain what the term "Lothario" means.

We could bond over sweet potato fries and her first sip of white wine. Perhaps the waiter would, ya know, kiss her on the cheek or pose for a photo.

And over that white wine and brie, I would caution her to never ever ever drop out of college. To avoid men named "Lothario" (and "Lance" and "Todd" ).

Also, avoid pregnancy like the plague. Until you are 30 and have millions of dollars in the bank. That's the way the Smart People do it.

Then....we would go home and read books (because we love books) and turn out the lights. And she would live her life. And I would live mine.

The End.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:26 PM

18,856 posts, read 29,727,702 times
No, I would not take my daughter to "Big Johnson's". We can get brie and wine some place else. And I know that you can buy wings at many places other than Hooters.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:47 PM

9,006 posts, read 6,530,067 times
Believe it or not there's a hot wing restaurant in Hollywood, CA called Big Wangs.

Unfortunately there's no way to tell if the male waitstaff live up to the moniker.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,473,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
The female "Hooters" would be called Long Dong Silvers or something equally inane I suppose . The waitstaff would be young and male. They would all wear tight-tight jeans and muscle shirts with deep v-necks. None would be over-weight and they would all have straight white teeth and wavy, but short, hair.

Sheesh! You forgot about the huge bulge in the front of their jeans.....

Old 11-15-2010, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,036 times
I just joined roughly an hour ago. Subscribed to a few forums, and clicked to see recent posts and third down on my list, Hooters caught my eye.
I'm a 24 y.o. old female. I have been going with my dad and sometimes my mom since I was 4. Back in 1990 they had the best 3MI wings, no matter which roof you were under. The waitresses were kind, bubbly, interactive with me (not just boys or men) and took care of their guests.
However, through the years, I have have experienced some bad locations. Mind you I've literally eaten in them from east to north to west and now I'm in the south.
Food Rating: 3 average....AGAIN, it varies throughout. However, they are on they're way back up with getting back to original sauce recipes, and getting back to their original menu. So, for me, 4.
Service Rqting: 5 stars....never have I consistently had great service
Atmosphere Rating: 4... I really wish they had high top high chairs.
They unfortunately closed one by me, off of Jimmy Carter BLVD a few years back, which had great service, management, COOKS knew they stuff, the girls/ladies were amazing too. I have been going every week with my dad and his friends for the last 6 hrs and bring along my guy friends too. We play trivia and after Jimmy Carter closed, us trivia nerds had to relocate. We followed our waitresses. You get to know them. A lot of the girls were my age, in college, working 2 jobs. I find that the "flirting" with boys is misinterpreted. They act the same way to girls. It's new for children and they inevitably help with the sensory overload (music, other guests, cooks hollering, sports on big screens, hula hoops going round and round, and the girls in bright orange shorts and tight shirts are seriously not as overwhelming as everything else).
I love Hooters. They don't objectify women. That only happens if 1. The girls let it (which in ALL my years have never seen) 2. People keep saying it's objectifying 3. If someone ever DOES see it, not stand up for their "sister".
I guess what gets me with the OP is: have faith in your parenting skills and trust that what you teach your children will last far beyond lunch or dinner at Hooters, and won't be wavered by that one ridiculously drunk fellow (who is looked after by the waitresses) which I've seen more at the local TGIF's and Chili's than at Hooters.
I have been taking my son since he was nearly born. Literally my dad and I planned his first visit. He was 6 weeks old. He's a year and a half now and loves our waitresses Ashley, Tayna and Christa just like he loves "granny" at our historic downtown country kitchen. They treat him the same
He won't grow up thinking women are objects of men because he's a baby/toddler, and I, being his mother have put the best foot forward and let him experience restaurant service like nowhere else.
I truly believe that we as parents are responsible for how our children behave. They need experiences to learn and grow.
AGAIN, your experience is based on management, waitresses and cooks. We've managed to stick it through a location closing b/c its' area's traffic flow went way down; and have a great staff and therefore have top notch food, fun, service, and all around GREAT time when we take Ty, my 17 mo old, to Hooters. And he'll wear one of his Hooters shirts signed by the group of girls. Excuse me, they are ladies now. And he gets nothing but love from everyone. Especially when he wears it out in public nowhere near a Hooters.
I read this from OP to the last post and felt I needed to say my peace.
I find it very judgmental to speak of the waitresses as...what was that adjective that got under my skin? Oh yes! Trashy. I don't remember who called them that, but, every Hooters waitress I have met, minus the exception of 1, couldn't be farther from that bold blanket statement. It's a job. They are great at their jobs. I literally have gone to Hooters all my life and am better and more respectful and not so quick with my judgement because of it, nor insecure. They see women who are working, and are good at what they do.
Thank you for reading. Now go find a Hooters, sit back, drink a brew, eat some wings, play some trivia or watch the game. And trust yourselves as your kid's mom that you did good. And hopefully there won't be a long wait.
Or heck! Do what I did! Take your son for his 1st birthday so he can get his first lullaby Happy Birthday song sung to him. Yes. It's true.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:30 AM

13,262 posts, read 33,673,665 times
plaidmom, I haven't been to every hooters in the country but the few I've been to, weren't bars. They were restaurants that have bars in them. Just like TGIFridays is a restaurant with a bar in it. And Chilis, and Applebee's...even Red Lobster for that matter. Difference in layout between those chains and Hooters is that Hooters is brighter, better lit, you can actually see the food you're eating, it's intended to be cheerful.

When you get right down to it, which give the impression of "trashy" more? A brightly lit cheerful open-space checkeboard room with tables set fairly far apart? Or dark, obscured lighting in a more claustrophobic setting with thickly cushioned bench seats and thick curtains covering the windows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or