Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 05:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I would give her rent money and such if I knew she was going to do the whole put it into a savings account so when I do move out I have it to use for the apt like some parents do but I can't trust her to not spend it.
When you pay rent to a landlord they can spend the money ANY way they see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:08 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
She HAD strict rules. She doesn't now.
Plus I work too much and too late for a curfew to even work.
Anyways I haven't sat around stagnating, I've been trying to find a way to get out of my mom's house. I've been trying to find a job that allows me to do so.

BB&B didn't give me enough hours or enough money.
The gas station was only 7.50 an hour.
Wal-mart's checks went into gas to get me to work, it was 15 miles from my house, 30 minutes each way and it just took all my gas.
What happened to school? If you're living at home, you should be taking at least 2 classes a semester while you have the chance and financial freedom to do so. There are plenty of resources online - I've taught myself beginning programming and have developed my writing skills. What skills have you taught yourself in the past year to help you get better employment? You're working under 60 hours a week - what meaningful volunteer work are you doing to build connections and skills? Plugging along working service jobs isn't going to increase your earnings potential.

You mention rent is expensive where you live - what you quoted is comparable to what I'm looking at in Boston, one of the most expensive rental markets in the country. You, if I remember correctly, do not live in Boston, NYC, San Francisco, etc. Heck, even in Atlanta I could have shared an apartment or house with 5 or 6 other people for $300 a month. You're going to have to take your clothes to the laundromat, have quite a few roommates - several who will be strangers, and have an older apartment. That's life.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What happened to school? If you're living at home, you should be taking at least 2 classes a semester while you have the chance and financial freedom to do so. There are plenty of resources online - I've taught myself beginning programming and have developed my writing skills. What skills have you taught yourself in the past year to help you get better employment? You're working under 60 hours a week - what meaningful volunteer work are you doing to build connections and skills? Plugging along working service jobs isn't going to increase your earnings potential.

You mention rent is expensive where you live - what you quoted is comparable to what I'm looking at in Boston, one of the most expensive rental markets in the country. You, if I remember correctly, do not live in Boston, NYC, San Francisco, etc. Heck, even in Atlanta I could have shared an apartment or house with 5 or 6 other people for $300 a month. You're going to have to take your clothes to the laundromat, have quite a few roommates - several who will be strangers, and have an older apartment. That's life.
I just didn't go back after winter break due to the nanny family. When I first met her she would tell me how much she believed in a college education and how she thought it was so important and that she would NEVER work me when I needed to be in class. She made me late all the time. She would just keep giving me more and more work, schedule stuff that was unexpected. She even did that with Bed, Bath and Beyond. It was Sept-Nov that I had to walk or bike to work and I told her I need to leave at X time to get there by Y time. And she just didn't care.

I got in trouble at school and work for what she kept on doing, and I was live in so you know, not like I could **** her off.
I wanna go back in January of 2012 and do online classes through my college and work on them while I am at work. I work 40 hours a week, I could do 40 hours worth of online classes while I'm here. I have no assigned duties except patrols every two hours and when I am not doing that I am expected to just sit at the desk out in the lobby and monitor cameras and entertain myself. One of the head guards told me to get a netflix account. :/ I'll just do school instead.

My work with my towns police department got me the job I have now.
This job will be benefiting me when I go to become a cop.
And from explorers I have LOTS of connections.

I could live off my job now if I had a roommate or was married/living with someone.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
I wish I lived in your fantasy world....not!

Anyway, lets get this thread back on topic instead of turning another thread into txtqueen drama rama.

Has the OP ever came back to post since April or did I miss over a more recent reply in this thread from her?

Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
That's not just three rules if one of those rules is to follow other rules.
What were your house rules for them at that age though?
Pretty basic stuff. No drugs, alcohol or guns, no gangsters, no sex parties. You can come and go as you please, but don't play music loud during night/early morning. Don't leave dirty dishes/clothes/etc. lying around. Just respect your parents and little brothers. That's about it.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:29 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Pretty basic stuff. No drugs, alcohol or guns, no gangsters, no sex parties. You can come and go as you please, but don't play music loud during night/early morning. Don't leave dirty dishes/clothes/etc. lying around. Just respect your parents and little brothers. That's about it.
*thumbs up*
And you mean no alcohol for those underage right?

And another reason I am psyched to move out is because I'm getting a glock 27 and my conceal carry permit as well as a bunch of range time with my cop buddies. I can go to the range now, my mom doesn't care but I just can't bring it into the house, I can own it and like stick a safe in my car and keep it in there.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
I still live at home and my parents have rules for me but its more about respect. They are nice enough to allow me to stay and support me during hard financial times. I do what I can to contribute to the household.
That's a refreshing attitude.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I would give her rent money and such if I knew she was going to do the whole put it into a savings account so when I do move out I have it to use for the apt like some parents do but I can't trust her to not spend it.
I would feel sorry for your mother but I think she raised you to have no respect for her, no responsibility, no rules. Her rules look like jokes to me, something she lamely put down but never enforced.

You are not entitled to have "rent money" you should be giving her returned to you so you can spend it as you please.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I DO get your point. That's just it.
Yes, parents CAN set down any rules they want. Yes, they can determine what they deem as reasonable and fair. It is THEIR house, THEIR rules.

But MY POINT is just because it comes out of a parents mouth, does not make it fair nor reasonable in the grand scheme of things.

Giving a 19 year old a curfew of 10pm, a bedtime of midnight and a wake time of 8am and tell them that they have to be IN bed, lights out and trying to sleep is CONTROLLING and is not reasonable and fair no matter who's house or who sets down the rules. It may be the parents right to set those rules down but just because a parent sets those rules does not make it fair or right.

I'm sorry but just because you push a baby out of your vajayjay does not make you the ultimate power who is just and fair no matter what you do.
An almost 60 year old woman where I work was laughing about staying with her mother - in her 80s who had fallen and injured herself, and she was still watching television at 10 pm and her mother came out of her room and told her it was time to go to bed.

But it was her house her rules after all, even though her adult daughter was just staying there to help her out.

It's a little silly for an adult child to be complaining about how awful it is to live for free at their parent's home.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
They should do their own laundry. They should clean up after themselves (clean up their rooms and bathrooms). Cover their own expenses, like phone and car, which your's already do. As far as other housekeeping, I have my own routine and want things done my way, and right now, so I would just as soon do it myself.
What we did with my daughter, who lived with us for awhile after college, was to charge a minimal amount of rent, and then when she moved out we gave her the money as a nest egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting