Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
This. This, this, this.

There are plenty of homeless teens in halfway houses and shelters that have no such person in their lives.
Not to mention out on the streets working as teenage (and younger) prostitutes, trying to survive by selling themselves (male and female), and where chances are they will get raped, beaten by their pimps or OD on drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:28 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,333 times
If he ends up going to college full time he can probably get health insurance through the school. My college required it (or you had to have your own equivalent coverage). Some part time places do offer benefits, if you look around enough.

I sure hope this woman isn't claiming him as a dependent for taxes...

Old 04-27-2011, 02:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Love how sskkc assumes he's sitting all day on the sofa playing video games!

He gets up at 6am for school and gets home from work at 11pm. He only stops here briefly to change his clothes before going to work.

Love, love, love how sskkc is projecting her own issues on this situation. LMAO!
So -
working 30 hours a week at the most, that leaves his entire weekend free - according to your post.

The only way that this is personal for me is that he is, unfortunately, someday going to be expected to be a productive member of society. You are interfering with his parents (just from your posts of him over time) and enabling him.

You do not want to face it, but as you have been before by others, he is using you. I'm sorry for you, but more for him. Everyone should have the opportunity to 'grow up' and not be hindered by enablers.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,300 times
He is not homeless. He is not struggling. He has health insurance and notice that it's not going to be there in a few months. He has time to make a plan- and I don't see why an 18 year old able bodied male in this country can't even ATTEMPT to do it on his own after graduation, without expecting his parents to foot the bill for part of his support.

And if providing him health coverage is not supporting him, in part, then why doesn't he just get his own?

Well, because the OP has decided that SHE (and not his parents) know whats best for him. Control freak much?

Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM

157 posts, read 140,605 times
Quote:
It's too expensive. I've decided not to even bother with that route.

That's an accurate assumption. I'm going to have a hard time getting the existing policy information from her! He needs to have his wisdom teeth removed before this policy expires in a month. I don't even know which insurance company he's covered under so I can find a participating oral surgeon.
Quote:
PROGRESS!

I talked to the school nurse. I didn't tell her his name. I asked if she would be able to provide him with the information if he came to her office. She said yes---if it's on the card.

BUT she told me that the state takes dental very seriously and there are free state programs for dental until age 19.
Quote:
He has been trying to get the policy information. She's ignoring his requests. Now he is going to get the information from the school nurse.
Are you sure you are giving him the best possible opportunities to BECOME an adult? You say "He has been trying to get the policy information. Now he is going to get the information from the school nurse.", but in reality, YOU have been leading him by the nose and doing all the work about this insurance issue. HE is simply going to the nurses office for her to give him information YOU have already asked for.

Honestly, I have a 17 year old and I make him make his own appointments and when business that concerns him, I make him take care of it. I am always here for consulting, and even go with him, but how will he learn if he doesn't know how to take care of his own business?

The more reliant he is on you, the harder it will be for him to go out on his own and make his own life. You are not being fair at all to him by not allowing him to make the effort, or not REQUIRING him to make the effort.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM

13,408 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
He is not homeless. He is not struggling. He has health insurance and notice that it's not going to be there in a few months. He has time to make a plan- and I don't see why an 18 year old able bodied male in this country can't even ATTEMPT to do it on his own after graduation, without expecting his parents to foot the bill for part of his support.

And if providing him health coverage is not supporting him, in part, then why doesn't he just get his own?

Well, because the OP has decided that SHE (and not his parents) know whats best for him. Control freak much?
His parents don't want anything to do with him, and he hasn't even graduated high school yet.

It has yet to be seen what he does with his life after that.

Do you expect him to be in high school and get a job that will support him in his own place, while doing well enough to get into college or whatever else he needs to do to become a productive adult?

A roof over his head at this point is NOT a bad thing. He is not taking public assistance. As a result of Hopes' help, he is NOT a burden to the state. He will finish school.

There is a difference between helping someone who needs it and enabling them.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

Well, this boy has parents who apparently do not want him and broke the law by kicking him out before HS graduation. Clearly, they do not know what's best for him.

Secondly, I have yet to see anything that resembles Hopes "enabling" him. She gives him a place to live, while he's in high school full time and works 30 hours per week. Tell me how an 18 year old can support himself (get his own place) and get his own health insurance with those circumstances.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 PM

13,408 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standupandbecounted View Post

Honestly, I have a 17 year old and I make him make his own appointments and when business that concerns him, I make him take care of it. I am always here for consulting, and even go with him, but how will he learn if he doesn't know how to take care of his own business?

The more reliant he is on you, the harder it will be for him to go out on his own and make his own life. You are not being fair at all to him by not allowing him to make the effort, or not REQUIRING him to make the effort.
Your seventeen year old still has a mother that gives a fig.

If someone wants to help out a kid that no longer has that option then who are you to tell them how to go about doing it?

The OP was asking about health insurance options, not for a critique on how she's giving assistance.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:25 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
I am quite apalled reading this thread. Do people honestly think that offering a teen safe shelter and food so they can finish high school is enabling them? WOW! And now helping the kid figure out how to access health insurance, that is in his name, is interfering? I guess my value system is a litle different. And as for the posters talking from a position of parental superiority, good for you that you have raised self-sufficient kids. Then you should understand even more how deprived this teen is, and how he needs a leg-up.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am quite apalled reading this thread. Do people honestly think that offering a teen safe shelter and food so they can finish high school is enabling them? WOW! And now helping the kid figure out how to access health insurance, that is in his name, is interfering? I guess my value system is a litle different. And as for the posters talking from a position of parental superiority, good for you that you have raised self-sufficient kids. Then you should understand even more how deprived this teen is, and how he needs a leg-up.
I don't think it's enabling them to help them but we don't know why this kid was kicked out of his house. We are only hearing one side.

Yes, it's terrible that he has problems in his family but I don't think his "disgustingly wealthy" mother should be crucified if we have no idea what prompted this. Parents don't just wake up one day and throw their kids out of the house and throw them off their insurance. There had to have been some huge event that caused this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting