U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 PM

22,167 posts, read 12,990,379 times

Advertisements

Yeah. I really like the idea of letting her choose from an assortment.

Please let us know what she likes. I'd especially like to know what she thinks of Noxema. I'm also thinking the "travel size" section at Target may have a lot of choices for less $ spent on something she hates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I see what you mean- don't have her use deodorant soap. Your original post looked like don't have her use deodorant.

I have let her read all these posts and she is eager to try some of these products. The idea of using baby wipes on her face is kinda gross. She just doesn't understand that it is all marketing. We will try the cetaphil but really wants to smell the noxema to see why some people have such a negative opinion of it. I used it back in the olden ages when I was a teen.
There's a Cetephil cream daily facial cleanser. All of the girls my son's age grew up using that. Their skin is beautiful. I haven't tried it but it's supposed to be great.

I use the cetephil bar soaps when my skin is acting particularly sensitive. There are two kinds. One is antibacterial.

(I forgot to test if it stings when I took my bath today. I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow.)

I don't recommend "purpose" bar soap. It dries out my skin and makes it feel tight.

I have extremely sensitive skin due to rosacea.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:32 PM

820 posts, read 3,381,703 times
Another vote for Cetaphil. I use it from the pump. My 9 year old boy does, too. He pumps one or two pumps onto his wet washcloth and rubs it all over his face, then rinses off the washcloth and rubs his face again to get the Cetaphil off.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:34 AM

11,294 posts, read 17,082,031 times
Some more "positive" suggestions (since my last was things to *not* do)...
If there's a choice between antibacterial and regular, have her try the regular. Antibacterial soaps strip the "good" bacteria and invite bacterial infections, because the soaps eliminate the skin's natural defense. The whole "immune system" thing. Only time she should be using antibacterial anything, is if there's a threat her immune system has been compromised by an infective bacteria (such as a cat scratch, or a sliver of wood, or showing a rash of unknown cause).

I really -really- encourage you to allow her the experience of learning to wash her face with soap that *might* sting, and teach her how to not get it in her eyes...and teach her what to do, if it gets in her eyes anyway. It's something she'll need to learn anyway, and now is the best time.

If you allow her this experience to learn, here are some decent facial cleansers for kids:

Dr. Bronner's baby soap/shampoo (it's all in one, comes in liquid or bar, olive-oil based)
Kiss My Face liquid or bar
Cetaphil
And in the supermarket, in the section of soaps where they sell specialty products and individual bars, you will probably find a variety of glycerine bar soaps. Some are unscented. The unscented ones are appropriate. If one of them has "sandalwood essential oil" or "lavender essential oil" then either of those two are appropriate.

Although she's a bit young to be doing the whole "skin care" routine and cleaning her face is more a matter of washing dirt off than "taking care of her skin," you might try some of the creamy, non-sudsy cleansing milks. Revlon used to make one I liked, a million years ago, can't remember the name of it but it was very mild, inexpensive, and did what it was supposed to do (clean my face). It came in a pump bottle, which would be very convenient for a child's learning experience. Clarins makes a mild cleansing milk, but it's a little more expensive, and the scent (which they claim is from natural sources) is a little more sophisticated and probably not something a 9 year old girl would like. The cleansing milks are less likely to sting, because they don't have the same emulsions that sudsy soaps have.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 AM

2,910 posts, read 4,230,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I The idea of using baby wipes on her face is kinda gross.
That comment just cracked me up! It's not like you would be using 'used' wipes.....they are specifically made to clean gently and not dry out skin. They are very similar to the wipes made to clean off makeup or cleanse facial skin. I guess it's just a mindset for you.

They are a staple in my house. Besides using for diaper changes.....I've used them for makeup removal, dusting, cleaning up spills and all sorts of things.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 AM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
That comment just cracked me up! It's not like you would be using 'used' wipes.....they are specifically made to clean gently and not dry out skin. They are very similar to the wipes made to clean off makeup or cleanse facial skin. I guess it's just a mindset for you.

They are a staple in my house. Besides using for diaper changes.....I've used them for makeup removal, dusting, cleaning up spills and all sorts of things.
That's so true...we quit having diapers in our house years ago, but we always have a tub of diaper wipes, for pet cleanups, cleaning the leather couch, makeup removal, etc...

Old 05-06-2011, 02:22 PM

26,457 posts, read 17,788,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post

I'm not the one grossed out. It's my daughter who turned up her nose at using baby wipes on her face. She's a big girl of 9 after all!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,284,552 times
I keep a thing of Kirkland Signature brand (CostCo store brand) baby wipes in our cars. But... I cut them out of the blue "baby" package they come in and put them in a ziplock bag. Maybe if she doesn't associate the wipes with "baby" she might not be as grossed-out by them.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,393 times
Default Try the Oil Cleansing Method

I am a big fan of natural skin care, and I have recently started using the oil cleansing method. This is by far the most effective cleanser I have ever used, and my skin has never looked better. And the best thing about it is it's 100% natural!

I use the oil cleansing method at night before I go to bed, and in the morning I use Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner.

All you need is olive oil and castor oil. For normal skin you'll mix 1 part Castor oil to 1 part EVOO in a bottle and shake.

To use, you will shake the bottle and dispense a quarter sized amount of the oil mixture in the palm of your hand.

After rubbing hands together, you will apply the oil mixture to your DRY face.

Gently massage your face with your fingertips for a couple of minutes.

Wet a washcloth with hot water (not scalding) and place on your face until it cools to room temperature.

Remove washcloth and wipe oil from face.

Follow up with a natural toner (I use apple cider vinegar diluted with water) and moisturizer.

It may sound labor intensive and strange, but it truly has made a difference in my skin. I really wish I had known about this method a long time ago. It would have saved me so much grief over my skin!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 AM

26,457 posts, read 17,788,424 times
Hi I'm the OP. I have recently read some very interesting info about baby wipes. Seems like our soldiers really need alot of them for cleaning equipment as well as personal hygiene. I was putting together a care package and was reminded how much they are used and wanted.

here at home we are all using the Cetaphil in the shower as well as at the sink. This girl now has an issue with white spots on her face-mentioned in another thread. I'm having her moisturize and I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the cetaphil. It better clear up before school starts on Aug 28 or I'll take her to dermatologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting