U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:39 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,196,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Hi I'm the OP. I have recently read some very interesting info about baby wipes. Seems like our soldiers really need alot of them for cleaning equipment as well as personal hygiene. I was putting together a care package and was reminded how much they are used and wanted.

here at home we are all using the Cetaphil in the shower as well as at the sink. This girl now has an issue with white spots on her face-mentioned in another thread. I'm having her moisturize and I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the cetaphil. It better clear up before school starts on Aug 28 or I'll take her to dermatologist.
Kudzu, do you mean whiteheads?

Have you taken her to a ped to rule out too early puberty? (Although I think 9 with girls is technically not too early).

FWIW, DS, 8, was having a problem with blackheads (ugh) on his nose only. We tried various gentle soaps, etc. (Dr. said he sees that occasionally with 8 year olds....they get sweaty and their hands are dirty).

What has eliminated them was Elizabeth Arden deep cleaning mask. We put it on 2x a week and let it try, then wash off with a washcloth.
It has cleared up the problem entirely.

BTW, we got the Elizabeth Arden at Marshall's or TJ Maxx (can't remember which)...so it wasn't very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM

9,436 posts, read 4,438,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser was recommended to us by our dermatologist about 7 years ago, and we've used it daily since. It's very gentle and doesn't sting when you get it into your eyes (at least we've never experienced stinging). It comes in a pump. You just pump a small amount into your hand, massage it gently all over your face, and then you can either tissue it off or use a damp washrag to wipe it off or you can rinse your face off in the sink and pat your face dry with a towel. In our house we usually rub it onto our faces right before we hop into the shower, then we rinse it off in the shower. I like to take a small minute pre-shower to massage my whole face, neck, and chest with it as kind of a mini-spa/pampering moment. Then take a long anti-earth-friendly hot shower!

I've tried lots of expensive facial washes but always go back to Cetaphil. (I recently tried a $72 face wash that was supposed to be "anti-aging" that ended up making my cheeks break out!!! I'm back on Cetaphil! Also recently tried Sebamed - it dried my face out horribly, and it smells weird.) My boys (11 & 15) use Cetaphil as well. They also make a bar soap if that's more your thing.

Cleansing Bar Products

Cetaphil makes a lotion, too, but I find it waaay too greasy. This coming from someone who moisturizes with organic EVOO.
I didn't read the whole thing but second the Cetaphil (or generic) gentle skin cleanser.

Dermatologist recommended and works wonders for your skin. And won't hurt your eyes - though you still don't want to get it in there.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:05 AM

25,247 posts, read 16,421,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Kudzu, do you mean whiteheads?

Have you taken her to a ped to rule out too early puberty? (Although I think 9 with girls is technically not too early).

FWIW, DS, 8, was having a problem with blackheads (ugh) on his nose only. We tried various gentle soaps, etc. (Dr. said he sees that occasionally with 8 year olds....they get sweaty and their hands are dirty).

What has eliminated them was Elizabeth Arden deep cleaning mask. We put it on 2x a week and let it try, then wash off with a washcloth.
It has cleared up the problem entirely.

BTW, we got the Elizabeth Arden at Marshall's or TJ Maxx (can't remember which)...so it wasn't very expensive.
Don't know how to insert another thread in here but if you can't find it basically she has white spots, not raised, not itching, not rash. Just untanned white spots only on her face. She is Vietnamese and has a lovely tan but the color difference is obvious with her tanned skin.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:47 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,196,306 times
Quote:
Don't know how to insert another thread in here but if you can't find it basically she has white spots, not raised, not itching, not rash. Just untanned white spots only on her face. She is Vietnamese and has a lovely tan but the color difference is obvious with her tanned skin.
Sorry, should have read your other thread first.

Can you take her to her doctor?

I don't know how a layperson would tell the difference between the fungus infection some other posters referred to and vitiligo, which is lack of pigmentation in the skin.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 PM

5,572 posts, read 7,986,959 times
Cetaphil doesn't have anything in it that would cause bleaching. I wonder if it is due to sunblock or sunscreen? My son recently spent a week using the spray-on misting sunscreen (it was Banana Boat brand but other brands have the same misting/spraying application as well) and I noticed he has an uneven tan on his face, back, and shoulders, it's kind of patchy in spots. I think it's the sunscreen.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,681,429 times
Quote:
She has started showering in the mornings and I want her to wash her face before bed but she is afraid she will get soap in her eyes. What would you suggest?
Don't wash.

or on a more serious note,
wash with soap and work out how to close eyes. As I understand it, the best thing is a soap with no additves, perfumes, etc.

If the issue is pimples then I would be looking at diet. I understand that everything from dairy to chocolate can cause pimples and so I assume that one just eliminates one at a time from ones diet until the culprit(s) are found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting