Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Obviously not, because they can't even say it to their own child.
Uhm... what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uhm... what?
You said wouldn't no be sufficient?

My answer meant:

No imo would not be sufficient because if they were calling to ask me if it was ok to give my 16 year old alcohol, they obviously don't have common sense and can't say no even to their teen.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:14 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think it's OK for a parent to serve alcohol to his own underaged child, within reason, but not to somebody else's child. And how would you know that the parents are OK with it? Teenagers lie all the time. You could also get into legal trouble for serving alcohol to a minor who is not your child. I'd stay away from this one.
Exactly!

Old 05-07-2011, 04:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The federal law drinking age is 21 in the US. No matter where you are- at home, in a bar, etc.
This is not true. There is no FEDERAL law that stipulates a national drinking age. Each state is permitted to set its own drinking age. If a state chooses to set a drinking age lower than 21 then that state will face a reduction in its federal highway funds. As a result every state has a drinking age of 21 but it is not a Federal law.

In addition, some states permit parents to serve alcohol to their own children at home.

As far as the OP's post goes-I would not allow my child to host such a sleepover.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
You said wouldn't no be sufficient?

My answer meant:

No imo would not be sufficient because if they were calling to ask me if it was ok to give my 16 year old alcohol, they obviously don't have common sense and can't say no even to their teen.
And therefore... because they may be doing something that hundreds of millions of parents the world over manage to do with no drama whatsoever, they need to have their attorney on speed dial?

Sorry, I have a hard time following bizarrely formed arguments.

If asked, and you don't approve, just say "no." No need for goofy theatrics.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Just a correction: the mother would not be serving the teenagers any alcohol. Rather, it would be bring-your-own-bottle event. The daughter has a fondness for Jagermeister.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:12 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
The answer would still be NO!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Just a correction: the mother would not be serving the teenagers any alcohol. Rather, it would be bring-your-own-bottle event. The daughter has a fondness for Jagermeister.
OK, this can't even be a serious thread. I had my doubts before; those doubts are all but affirmed now.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Old 05-07-2011, 07:38 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, this can't even be a serious thread. I had my doubts before; those doubts are all but affirmed now.
This IS a serious thread. I know of a real case, let's just say very close to home, in which this happened; apparently it happens all the time up here, at least in more working class / less yuppie families.

The mother in this case was a widow; her husband permitted their son, about 5 years older, parties in the garage, and even cleared out a spot on power company land (they live out in the sticks) for him to party in the summer when he was 16 years old. He himself did not drink much, but his friends often got intoxicated. She was always much stricter than her husband, and did not approve of his laxity, but the daughter herself convinced the mother that everyone drank and their parents allowed them to as long as they supervised them, so she permitted a few drinking parties in her house or near her house, the first of which was her 16th birthday party. And yes, the daughter was fond of Jagermeister. That all changed when she stabbed a girl, intoxicated, outside a local club (which her mom did not permit her to go to, but she went anyway) on their "16-and-over" night and was charged with second-degree assault (later mitigated to fifth-degree assault).

Do I disapprove? Yes, of course. But do a lot of parents, good in other respects, let their kids and their friends drink at or near home, thinking they'll just drink anyway and be safer under their watch? Yes.

Leave your narrow comfortable middle-class Anglo mindset at the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting