Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
And how about the police as well? Providing alcohol to minors is a crime. How dare those other parents supply alcohol to the OP's daughter. And why is the OP not investigating to see if that is true. Either the other parents need to be taken to task for their abrogating his parental role/authority or his daughter needs to be disciplined for dishonesty.
Nobody supplied anything to the OP's daughter. This is basically a troll thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:08 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infiri View Post
Well I understand, and that is the difference between you and I..
You wont call, but I would...
this is because you are thinking of privacy and their own business.
I am thinking of the kids.
Only in the United States do people have such a conservative and backward view of consuming alcohol. In the vast majority of countries on Earth, the kids in question would not only be able to drink at home, they could go to a store and buy it themselves or even attend a teen specific bar or club.

Our laws and structures force alcohol consumption to be a taboo and naughty subject forcing kids to take it underground. America has some of the strictest alocohol laws and age limits outside of the Muslim world, yet we have some of the highest rates of teen alcoholism, drunk driving and binge drinking.

I don't buy the "thinking of the kids" statement. If the majority of the worlds 16 year olds (and even younger in some cases) can easily handle the responsibility of consuming alcohol, why are American kids not able to? My guess is the fact that we think about it all wrong. Legislating it and making it illegal doesn't work. Educating and raising kids to respect it does.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:11 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Let's not turn this into an America-bashing thread, please.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Let's not turn this into an America-bashing thread, please.
Not bashing America in the least, just being realistic and speaking from the point of view of a proud American who has travelled abroad extensively, including as a teenager and have personal experience with the ways different people treat something like alcohol.

Besides, it's not as if there is a lack of criticism or research pointing to a causative negative effect regarding our current drinking laws and outlook. In fact, there is a movement (Amethyst Initiative) spearheaded by 100 college presidents to lower the drinking age from 21 to 18 and some pushing to go as low as 16. These are the presidents of schools like Duke, Dartmouth, Ohio State, Syracuse, Tufts, Colgate, Kenyon and Morehouse. With professors from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Boston College and MIT represented in the group as well.

It is difficult to walk the line as a parent on this issue. I whole-heartedly believe that not making alcohol taboo is the far better way to go. Current thoughts and attitudes treating teens who want to drink as criminals, forcing them to do it in secret, leads to far more problems.

The issue is it is still illegal, no matter how illogical it is. Perhaps a certain group of parents thinks it is OK as long as it is supervised and they are teaching their kids to respect alcohol and consume responsibly. I'm not sure I want to be one of those parents as long as the threat of someone like infiri exists who will call CPS and the police on me because she happens to think that a 16 year old having a couple drinks is somehow going to ruin them.

Heavens forbid they drink a little in a supervised home. Let's force them to steal a couple bottles from the house and sneak off into the woods to drink, where they will most likely end up binge drinking.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 AM

593 posts, read 1,315,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Only in the United States do people have such a conservative and backward view of consuming alcohol. In the vast majority of countries on Earth, the kids in question would not only be able to drink at home, they could go to a store and buy it themselves or even attend a teen specific bar or club.

Our laws and structures force alcohol consumption to be a taboo and naughty subject forcing kids to take it underground. America has some of the strictest alocohol laws and age limits outside of the Muslim world, yet we have some of the highest rates of teen alcoholism, drunk driving and binge drinking.

I don't buy the "thinking of the kids" statement. If the majority of the worlds 16 year olds (and even younger in some cases) can easily handle the responsibility of consuming alcohol, why are American kids not able to? My guess is the fact that we think about it all wrong. Legislating it and making it illegal doesn't work. Educating and raising kids to respect it does.
Well not even adults can drink responsibility, look at the high number of DUI.
also you are extremely wrong when it comes to drinking age in other countries,, it might not be 21, but most country is 18.
Here is a list of all countries:
Legal drinking age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM

593 posts, read 1,315,482 times
Quote:
Not bashing America in the least, just being realistic and speaking from the point of view of a proud American who has travelled abroad extensively, including as a teenager and have personal experience with the ways different people treat something like alcohol.

Besides, it's not as if there is a lack of criticism or research pointing to a causative negative effect regarding our current drinking laws and outlook. In fact, there is a movement (Amethyst Initiative) spearheaded by 100 college presidents to lower the drinking age from 21 to 18 and some pushing to go as low as 16. These are the presidents of schools like Duke, Dartmouth, Ohio State, Syracuse, Tufts, Colgate, Kenyon and Morehouse. With professors from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Boston College and MIT represented in the group as well.

It is difficult to walk the line as a parent on this issue. I whole-heartedly believe that not making alcohol taboo is the far better way to go. Current thoughts and attitudes treating teens who want to drink as criminals, forcing them to do it in secret, leads to far more problems.

The issue is it is still illegal, no matter how illogical it is. Perhaps a certain group of parents thinks it is OK as long as it is supervised and they are teaching their kids to respect alcohol and consume responsibly. I'm not sure I want to be one of those parents as long as the threat of someone like infiri exists who will call CPS and the police on me because she happens to think that a 16 year old having a couple drinks is somehow going to ruin them.

Heavens forbid they drink a little in a supervised home. Let's force them to steal a couple bottles from the house and sneak off into the woods to drink, where they will most likely end up binge drinking.
Is not realistic since almost all countries have a drinking age...

Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM

573 posts, read 970,920 times
Quote:

I think there are a few factors that contribute to this. Driving, for one. In Europe, you have to be 18 to drive. Another thing is that in many other countries, children are exposed to alcohol at younger ages at home and know their effects so may be less likely to do something irresponsible like drink and drive. Drinking ages in many European countries is 16 to 18 and some countries have no age limitation. But, they probably also don't have access to cars, and gasoline is prohibitively expensive in Europe.

Generally, I think they are educated about the dangers of drinking at younger ages then their U.S.A. counterparts and may have more of an air of responsibility about it. Our culture worships binge drinking and irresponsible habits in movies and TV and many younger kids see this. You can't tell me that doesn't affect them.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
NJGoat, your opening line was, "Only in the United States do people have such a conservative and backward view of consuming alcohol." That simply cannot be true. There are over six billion people in the world; surely there are some teetotalers outside our borders.

I really can't say whether being strict about alcohol "leads to far more problems," because each situation is complex and unique. I would absolutely not have been allowed to drink as a teen, but my family did not drink much and it did not interest me. My parents were strict, but that didn't turn me into a criminal or make me sneak around to find booze. On the other hand, my husband's parents did let him and and his sister drink when they were teens; they (my in-laws) are also alcoholics. My husband does not drink now for this reason--his parents never taught him by word or example when to say when, and he does not want to become like them. Clearly (to me, anyway), there is no pat answer to this situation.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I have also travelled abroad extensively. I seen my fair share of drunk, drugged-up, out of control European teenagers.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Is not realistic since almost all countries have a drinking age...
Quote:
Well not even adults can drink responsibility, look at the high number of DUI.
also you are extremely wrong when it comes to drinking age in other countries,, it might not be 21, but most country is 18.
Here is a list of all countries:
Legal drinking age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
While almost all nations do have an established drinking age of some sort, if you run down the list of "western" nations, the United States has the highest drinking age by far. In most countries it is split that beer/wine consumption is allowable in any environment at 16. Hard liquor is generally controlled to 18. However, almost all of them allow consumption at any age within the home. For instance, the UK stipulates you must be 5 to drink at home and allows it in public at 14 in a restaurant accompanied by your parents. At 16 you can drink/purchase wine and beer. At 18 it is wide open and you are also allowed to enter clubs. It is far more nuanced than a universal age of all or nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting