U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:24 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,407,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'm beginning to realize that being the A-hole tends to close a lot of doors for you.
You don't need to love kids.

But you need to work on not being an A-hole.

When you master that, everything else will come around.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,695,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm not sure what the issue is here. You are upset people are taking up parking spaces in a parking lot? Are you denying that it is much more difficult to get from point A to point B with children in tow?

I have children and I live 10 city blocks from the local gym. I've tried to walk it with the kids so I could work out. By the time I got there, I was too tired to put much effort into "real" exercise.

I think some of us parents have issues with non-parents failing to understand the logistics of having children.
I guess deep down, it's probably a fear that I already understand and part of the reason why I've pretty much remained single and not involved in any relationships.
Funny thing is that there are eight of us kids in the entire family and I'm also the only one that hasn't embarked past just "waving to a woman."

I guess the potential for the burden of child-rearing is one of the costs of "going all the way".
Eh, I've managed just fine since hitting maturation at 13, I'll probably hang in there for years to come.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

121 posts, read 69,856 times
I dislike children cries. Toddler cries make me craw out of my skin. The sounds of young animals? No problem! The only animal sound I can't stand is that of a cat in heat or cats angrily fighting (because they sound like human toddlers crying!). I don't like most people's children while I like most of their pets.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 292,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I dislike children cries. Toddler cries make me craw out of my skin. The sounds of young animals? No problem! The only animal sound I can't stand is that of a cat in heat or cats angrily fighting (because they sound like human toddlers crying!). I don't like most people's children while I like most of their pets.
Evolution results in a human adult finding it very difficult to ignore or be put out by a human baby's cry - as one would expect. With the parent, it usually results in the parent attending to the baby - unless they overcome the emotional response by rational direction. Similarly, a mother blackbird just can't ignore baby blackbird's imploring chirps.

Anything in the right frequency and modulation can elicit that uncomfortableness. Human parents often become desensitized to it over time, even if not entirely immune.

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

14,970 posts, read 12,065,598 times
I worked with children for eighteen years.. and always tried to be fair with my attention and care.. However sometimes there are some horrors who are wicked to other children and who wont take a telling, but then you get to know the parents and its easy to see why these kids are the way they are..... most children are fun and lovely.. but can be hard work too...

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

4,933 posts, read 3,380,111 times
I have two teenagers. I love my own children to pieces and they are the biggest joys of my life. I loved snuggling them, reading to them, playing with them when they were little and I'm amazed at how they have grown from helpless infants to cool kids to mouthy pre-teens to observant and intelligent adults/almost adults.

However, I am not a kid person. I don't feel all squishy when I see a baby. I think toddlers are kind of dirty and I do not want to touch them. Young children exhaust me. I run out of conversation topics with older kids after 10 minutes. I do enjoy teenagers; I think they are sarcastic and funny and insightful, for the most part. They're also obnoxious, though, and if they are screechy or loud or too messy, I get a headache and want them to go home (my kids often have friends over).

I don't think that not being enthralled with humans just because they are small is a character flaw. I'm nice to them and I will hold someone's baby or babysit their older child if they need me to. And I often have other people's teenagers here for a year at a time and I love them like they are my own and treat them as though they are mine (we host exchange students, though we haven't done it in a few years because two teens of my own is enough teenagerness in one small house). Will I go out of my way to coo at someone's baby or toddler? No. Will I strike up a conversation with a five-year-old in line at the grocery store? No. Just not my thing. Nothing wrong with that.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

123 posts, read 24,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
So lately, it appears as though I've been getting flack for disliking children in general.
I'm not able to narrow it down to just one reason, but it may have something to do with how "see-saw" my childhood was.

Or could it be the fact that I'm just mopey due to children being something "I could never have"?
In that sense it's more of a relationship thread topic, but while there's clearly nothing wrong with my vital parts, my luck with women has just been either weak or non-existent.

I'm young right now, but I'm somewhat fearful of becoming that angry old guy that sits on his porch with a < insert weapon here > telling kids to stay off the lawn!!!

With that aside, is there some way to make myself somewhat more respectable of them being around?
Babysit? work in a daycare centre? write a childrens book? get off my bum, do like my stepdad and become a teacher?

Mind you this is more for everyone elses benefit than my own.
I'm beginning to realize that being the A-hole tends to close a lot of doors for you.
The fact you are aware of it and desire to change is enough.
Doors will open eventually for you to be around children or you can take that initiative yourself.

Not everyone prefers being around everyone, and that's ok.

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

8,120 posts, read 3,047,180 times
This thread is from 2011.

Old Today, 07:22 AM

121 posts, read 69,856 times
I feel awkward around children. Yet I love people pets.

Old Today, 08:00 AM

13,516 posts, read 21,474,205 times
Very old thread and not about parenting as the op is about not liking children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or