Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:26 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I see the point of #6, although it wasn't worded well. My take on it would be along the lines of being at the dinner table and saying "gross or yuck" at the food being offered.
Yes, I imagine that IS the way they meant is, but as worded....it's quite condescending and cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,617 times
the one thing that erks me to this day...
speak when someone speaks to you. I don't know how many times I've been at the playground when my ultra-social daughter says "Hi, I'm Emma!" and the kids just stand there dumbfounded....and silent. Uh, ya...say hello. Say something. It's so rude and ultimate doesn't teach basic social skills. Parents need to teach this- "that little girl said hello. Say hello back". duh...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I agree with the comments on #6. I think the wording was a bit off.

My only other quibble is the focus on adults versus child, as in the "don't do X in front of an adult" points found a couple of places on the list. I don't think promoting a set of manners for adults versus for children is particularly helpful. Using "foul language," for example (#13); shouldn't we be teaching our kids, at least at that age, not to use that kind of language at all, rather than suggesting that they simply restrain from using it around adults? That might not translate into reality, of course, (and eventually kids do learn how to use different language in different contexts and with different people) but I think it's better to at least start with the message that one should treat everyone politely, not just those who are older (or otherwise considered higher status).

Old 05-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree with the comments on #6. I think the wording was a bit off.

My only other quibble is the focus on adults versus child, as in the "don't do X in front of an adult" points found a couple of places on the list. I don't think promoting a set of manners for adults versus for children is particularly helpful. Using "foul language," for example (#13); shouldn't we be teaching our kids, at least at that age, not to use that kind of language at all, rather than suggesting that they simply restrain from using it around adults? That might not translate into reality, of course, (and eventually kids do learn how to use different language in different contexts and with different people) but I think it's better to at least start with the message that one should treat everyone politely, not just those who are older (or otherwise considered higher status).
I agree! Kids should be taught that they DON'T use that language, and they should be learning by example, from their parents! They should be taught manners and politeness and those manners should be used everywhere with everyONE!

Old 05-17-2011, 12:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Eh I'm guilty of foul language. I'd make a sailor blush! LOL

Old 05-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Eh I'm guilty of foul language. I'd make a sailor blush! LOL
I have been known to have my moments as well Mags.... I do desperately attempt to be ...ahem, creative when I'm around young ones though. Because I don't like "hearing" those words, I even try to be careful around the older ones.....but that doesn't mean I don't have my slipups. I have a tendency to use "JERK", "cornhole", or even txt speak...like, W-T-H ? LOL

Old 05-17-2011, 01:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I have been known to have my moments as well Mags.... I do desperately attempt to be ...ahem, creative when I'm around young ones though. Because I don't like "hearing" those words, I even try to be careful around the older ones.....but that doesn't mean I don't have my slipups. I have a tendency to use "JERK", "cornhole", or even txt speak...like, W-T-H ? LOL
I never swore very much. I did want to really cut it out as much as possible when DD was a baby. Now, I don't swear at all. I did make up my own swearwords. I didn't try to come up with them, they just slipped out of my mouth one day. That came mostly from starting to say one word and switching part way through the word.. "Oh F---!" became "Flippin' Fartnuggets!", the S word is now "Shimmy", etc. I will even catch myself using my new words when I am out with friends. I now think it is even better this way because sometimes if I feel the need to let out a string of them, I can get really creative and just let it fly. I don't even have to look around to see if there are any kids around before I just let them go. You should try it. It can be really fun.

Obviously if I won't talk that way in front of DD, I don't want her talking like tat when I am not around either. My most shocked moment of my life was when I was strapping DD into her car seat at 18 months and I am standing in the rain, so I tell DD to stop wiggling so I can just get it done and get in the car. She looks at me and says "F--- Off!" I was so shocked I just got in the car and drove home. One of the kids in class was learning it from Daddy and was nice enough to share with the whole class on a regular basis.

So no, I don't want her talking like that with her peers. I also don't want her looked down on as the lower class one of the friends.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I never swore very much. I did want to really cut it out as much as possible when DD was a baby. Now, I don't swear at all. I did make up my own swearwords. I didn't try to come up with them, they just slipped out of my mouth one day. That came mostly from starting to say one word and switching part way through the word.. "Oh F---!" became "Flippin' Fartnuggets!", the S word is now "Shimmy", etc. I will even catch myself using my new words when I am out with friends. I now think it is even better this way because sometimes if I feel the need to let out a string of them, I can get really creative and just let it fly. I don't even have to look around to see if there are any kids around before I just let them go. You should try it. It can be really fun.

Obviously if I won't talk that way in front of DD, I don't want her talking like tat when I am not around either. My most shocked moment of my life was when I was strapping DD into her car seat at 18 months and I am standing in the rain, so I tell DD to stop wiggling so I can just get it done and get in the car. She looks at me and says "F--- Off!" I was so shocked I just got in the car and drove home. One of the kids in class was learning it from Daddy and was nice enough to share with the whole class on a regular basis.

So no, I don't want her talking like that with her peers. I also don't want her looked down on as the lower class one of the friends.
OMG......LOL, flippin fartnuggets. That is so funny!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting