Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,409,136 times

Advertisements

Strange. In our house anything in the fridge (including leftovers) is up for grabs unless you say something (very little food is sacred when you have teenaged boys in the house). If you specifically want your leftovers, you mention it and everyone respects that. Pretty straightforward. I can't imagine being so focused on someone getting or not getting leftovers or more than "my share" that I plan my meal around that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 09:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,954,022 times
When I was growing up my greedy brother always would spit on the last piece of cake or leftovers so no one else would want it. You may try that.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,246,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, maybe this is petty, but when we go out to restaurants with the kids, I seldom finish my meal. I just don't eat a whole lot at once, so I take my leftovers home. the kids get way more than I do at the restaurant, anyways.

but, when we come home, they always want to eat my leftovers. Oh, we're hungry, etc, yadda, yadda, when, like I said, they had about 2x more than I did to begin with. I just don't eat a whole lot at once, but I would like my share.

With the increasing prices of restaurants,etc, we have cut back on restaurants, usually now just once/'month if that much. but, even at that, i would like to have my share. I usually get the smallest portions, and eat the slowest, but its always the same old arguement when we come home. About an hour later, oh, they're hungry, so eat my leftovers. Then it makes me feel small and petty, arguing with a kid over a leftover portion of food. But, like I said, I didn't get my share to begin with.

so, tonight, I got "innovative" Since I don't usually eat the whole portion in a restaurant, don't order it. Instead, I just got a small appetizer, just enought to fill me up, nothing to bring home. Well, we came home, sure enough, the kids were routing through the fridge about an hour later looking for "leftovers". hee hee.....Look, if I can't eat it in the restaurant, I'm not going on a guilt trip if I expect to have it later. They had their fill, I'm satisfied, shouldn't everyone be happy? Am I supposed to feel guilty because I don't shovel my food down like a horse or its fair game for someone else an hour later?

Or, maybe just quit going out to restaurants, they are not at the age they want to go out with their parents, anyways. Just dh and me, and, eat it or leave it, no bringing home our leftovers for the kids to whine over!
You're a person too. Tell them to keep their flippin' hands off your food and find something else to eat!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
It's sad that your children don't have any respect for you. I mean, sad that someone raised them to be that way.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Are you really making this big of a deal out of LEFTOVERS?! It's as easy as this- the kid asks, you say "yes, you may eat my leftovers," or "no, you may not eat my leftovers. If you do, there will be consequences. However, you're free to eat ..XYZ".
It's OBVIOUSLY (quite) about something much bigger than leftovers.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Two things trouble me about this post. Firstly my children respect me (at least now) and would not take anything of mine without asking, and I would not take anything of theirs. More importantly, it is very rare to find parents that don't choose to put their children first, often to a fault. If my children even hinted that they wanted my food, I'm sure I would give it to them. Isn't that what most parents do?
But why? Why is it always mom that has to give up something? Why don't the kids go after dad's favorite restaurant dish?

And no, if my kids have already eaten, they do not and will not get something that I've saved for myself.

I'm sick of this mentality of mom always sacrificing for the kids.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:34 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,540,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But why? Why is it always mom that has to give up something? Why don't the kids go after dad's favorite restaurant dish?

And no, if my kids have already eaten, they do not and will not get something that I've saved for myself.

I'm sick of this mentality of mom always sacrificing for the kids.
You will note I used the word parents. If you don't want to share with your kids.....then don't. Why would you term it a sacrifice?

Old 05-14-2011, 11:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,042,988 times
Quote:
Ok, maybe this is petty, but when we go out to restaurants with the kids, I seldom finish my meal. I just don't eat a whole lot at once, so I take my leftovers home. the kids get way more than I do at the restaurant, anyways.

but, when we come home, they always want to eat my leftovers. Oh, we're hungry, etc, yadda, yadda, when, like I said, they had about 2x more than I did to begin with. I just don't eat a whole lot at once, but I would like my share.

With the increasing prices of restaurants,etc, we have cut back on restaurants, usually now just once/'month if that much. but, even at that, i would like to have my share. I usually get the smallest portions, and eat the slowest, but its always the same old arguement when we come home. About an hour later, oh, they're hungry, so eat my leftovers. Then it makes me feel small and petty, arguing with a kid over a leftover portion of food. But, like I said, I didn't get my share to begin with.

so, tonight, I got "innovative" Since I don't usually eat the whole portion in a restaurant, don't order it. Instead, I just got a small appetizer, just enought to fill me up, nothing to bring home. Well, we came home, sure enough, the kids were routing through the fridge about an hour later looking for "leftovers". hee hee.....Look, if I can't eat it in the restaurant, I'm not going on a guilt trip if I expect to have it later. They had their fill, I'm satisfied, shouldn't everyone be happy? Am I supposed to feel guilty because I don't shovel my food down like a horse or its fair game for someone else an hour later?

Or, maybe just quit going out to restaurants, they are not at the age they want to go out with their parents, anyways. Just dh and me, and, eat it or leave it, no bringing home our leftovers for the kids to whine over!

Maybe I don't get it. But these are your family members aren't they? I love nothing more then to share my food with my family if they want it. These are the same people that came out of me and I get great comfort feeding them.

busta

Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,042,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Seriously? As old as your kids are you have arguments? Over left-overs? You scream at each other over who gets a few bites of shrimp or whatever?

By that age my kids had figured out that the best approach was to sit down next to me and look up at me with those big eyes, compliment me on how nice I looked and then casually mention they were still kind of hungry.
And you as a good parent most likely enjoyed feeding them.

busta

Old 05-14-2011, 11:57 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,466,506 times
Quote:

Just tell your husband and kids that your leftover food is yours and you'd like to eat it later. Should be end of story. So you need to communicate to them and let them know instead of allowing them to eat your food and you're steaming inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting