Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

These after prom parties sound like our local Graduation night parties. There's a lock-in, food, prizes, dancing, etc.

After prom parties are held in private homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Graduation here people host open houses...family is usually in town and family friends stop in for food, cake and to wish the graduate well....

Old 05-16-2011, 04:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
We paid for part of the prom costs. But I told them they were responsible for their dates' flowers. Just seemed like something the "young man" should pay for. We split limo costs with the other parents. They went from house to house before prom so all the parents could take photos and movies. After prom was at the home of one of the girls for two of the DS's. Huge house. Parents decorated and showed movies and generally put on the dog. There was a strict no booze rule. (The father was well-known for "going to meetings" and he took sobriety seriously.)

I didn't go to my prom. Back when I was in high school we were all protesting something terribly world-changing and proms were considered tools of the bourgeoisie. Sixties.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
But I told them they were responsible for their dates' flowers. Just seemed like something the "young man" should pay for
I like that idea. Since we paid for DD I feel it's only right to do the same for DS but I do like the idea of him paying for the flowers. DS did pay to have her nails done....I thought that was something I didn't need to pay for.

I didn't go to prom either.....We moved across country the summer between my jr. and senior year. When I was a Junior (West coast) the prom was only for Seniors....when I was a Senior (East coast), I didn't really know anyone (rough year)....I made up for it in college though...

Old 05-16-2011, 09:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Same here - we paid for the tux and his 12th of the limo rental. He paid for dinner and flowers. That seemed fair in my world.

The after party was a breakfast at school. We put our foot down to an "after-after party".

My biggest worry was "no driving and no riding with other kids". That wrecked "Prom Car" outside of my high school all during the month of May must have left a lasting impression!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It's that time of the year again!

Two questions:

1) Did you pay for, or help with paying for, your daughter's dress or son's suit? Did you get yours paid for?

2) What about after-prom: would / did you let your kids attend an after-prom party? What if alcohol is served there?

1) Yes. I paid for my daughter's dress. I never went to a prom so the second part is N/A.

2) In our area, the tradition is to go down to the shore after the prom and stay for the weekend. Drinking is usually the standard plan. My daughter and her boyfriend wanted to go see the Boston Pops play, so they got tickets and went to Boston that weekend instead. I lent her my car. They both don't drink and are actively anti-alcohol, so I wasn't worried about that. I raised a nerd.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I always paid because my kids had no money, they were students and if they did work it was low wage jobs that wouldn't cover the costs anyway. I considered it a right of passage, probably because I never went to dances or proms myself (private school...no choice). We did it on the cheap but nobody would know that because we do cheap well .

The after party was always held at the school and sponsored by the parents. The kids who wanted to drink went elsewhere. When my D was a Jr she went to the Sr Ball with a boy and the day AFTER a group of them went and spent the night on the beach and had a bonfire. That was a semi-tradition for many kids but one she didn't reapeat her own Sr year, nor did my son have an interest in doing that.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 PM

402 posts, read 1,406,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It's that time of the year again!

Two questions:

1) Did you pay for, or help with paying for, your daughter's dress or son's suit? Did you get yours paid for?

2) What about after-prom: would / did you let your kids attend an after-prom party? What if alcohol is served there?

I paid for the tickets, dinner, flowers for both, pictures, and my son's suit.
The date had to pay for her own dress, nails, & hair.

Curfew of midnight doesn't leave much after-prom party time.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I am lucky, I none of my boys were interested. Yay !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting