Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

It's that time of the year again!

Two questions:

1) Did you pay for, or help with paying for, your daughter's dress or son's suit? Did you get yours paid for?

2) What about after-prom: would / did you let your kids attend an after-prom party? What if alcohol is served there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 04:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
You sure are preoccupied with young people and the demon rum.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:42 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
After parties usually consist of drinking. My mom's solution was to be pro-active: she wanted to make sure myself and my friends were safe.. she knew where we were, and picked everyone up so nobody drove home.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:36 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,202 times
We have and will pay for the prom dress. We paid for my husbands daughters when they were invited to prom Junior year and we will pay for our daughters when she is old enough to attend.

As for my daughter and the after party, I think it will depend. If I trust her to make the right decisions then yes, as long as there is a clear understanding that we would like it if she didn't drink and if she does she is to call us for a ride home, even if it is just one drink. I would hope that she wouldn't drink, but I would make sure that if she does she would know it would be ok to call.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Two questions:

1) Did you pay for, or help with paying for, your daughter's dress or son's suit? Did you get yours paid for?

2) What about after-prom: would / did you let your kids attend an after-prom party? What if alcohol is served there?
I have several younger relatives whose prom was just this past weekend and weekend before.

ALL of them went home after eating at a Denny's, Perkins or Friendly's. NONE of them drank. Imagine that!

1. We will pay for our children's prom wear if need be.

2. No, I will not allow my children to attend after-prom party. My husband would, but it's not gonna happen.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Two questions:

Last night was the prom in our town! Our exchange student, who is 17, went. She paid for her prom dress with her credit card, the bill of which is paid for by her mother. If she were mine, though, I would have paid for the dress.

Yes, she attended an after-prom party. It was at one of her best friends' houses, and the mom was going to be home. She did not think that there would be alcohol there, but even if there was, I would have let her go. She knows her boundaries, and my number one rule was DON'T get into a car with anyone who has been drinking, and once you're at that party, STAY THERE. I told her that no matter what, she could call us for a ride home at any time, and we'd come get her, no questions asked, and she would not get in trouble. I'm not terribly concerned about her having a couple of drinks; I'm more concerned about kids driving around after having a couple of drinks! (She did say that she was not going to be drinking, but I wanted to make sure to cover all of the bases just in case she changed her mind or was simply not telling me the truth.)

Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
We paid for the dresses, tickets, dinner, etc. It is a right of passage and I wouldn't want my child to miss it because they couldn't afford to go. My daughter went 3 years and they chose to go to midnight bowling after prom. My son went one year. We paid for everything including his part in a limo because we knew he would probably be drinking. Better safe than sorry. My daughter was not/is not a drinker so the worry wasn't there. I think what you do depends on the child.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
My kids aren't old enough for prom yet, but when they are, I will definitely be paying for their dresses and probably for their date's boutonnière.

About parties with alcohol, I would be more worried about drunk driving than actual drinking.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:05 AM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
I went to prom during my junior year. My parents paid for my dress/ticket and my friends and I went bowling afterwards. I'm sure there are plenty of prom after parties where people drink but that doesn't mean everyone is out drinking!

I think our city prom was last night due to the number of limos and the party at my neighbor's house last night!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I did not pay for my sons tuxes they paid for their own because they wanted too . There were no after partys because it was at some hotel next to an amusement park . The school administration thought it best not to allow after partys and everyone was home by 2 am . Thank Goodness and No I did not get to go to my prom because my mother thought that a prom was foolishness and had nothing to do with school so no was not allowed to go could not afford tickets and my mother would not pay for a formal gown or any new piece of clothing deemed not neccessary by her . I missed it and I can never get it back so it still makes me upset that she did that to me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting