Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

Sounds strange that any kid would walk into someone else's yard and pull up their flowers. If he isn't a toddler and doesn't have some type of learning disability, a kid that age just knows better.

If I had seen him walking away, I would have called him back and without getting too close to him, ask him WHY he pulled up your flowers. At that point, I would have walked him home and spoken with his parents.

If you don't want to wait until it happens again, I'd try a phone call first. Less "in your face". I'd tell his parents what you have seen and ask them for help. Try to do it in a very non threatening way. And in that same tone, I'd ask if they will consider reimbursing you for the flowers.

If you are talking about $10, I would probably skip asking for the money back.

I know it is frustrating. I have a row of bushes along my driveway that I have replaced THREE TIMES because people like to walk their dogs and allow them to pee on those bushes! I only caught one dog "in the act" and when I went outside to speak with the owner, he walked away! I have given up so I have a very empty space, along my driveway. It annoys me that I can't have those bushes in MY YARD because of other's inconsiderate actions but what else can I do? So...I understand your frustration.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 AM

46 posts, read 134,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Buy a couple of extra flowers, take them to his house when his parents are there, and say "Your son seems to like my flowers so much I thought I would get him some that he could plant in his own yard so he doesn't need to pick mine." That way you'll seem neighborly and get your message across.
Like this approach! If you can justify the cost, I would also take pictures/video if at all possible. Really hard to have a come back with hard evidence like that. If this boy is between 10 and 15, then he definitely knows better! Just be careful to not escalate things

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,630 times
Sounds familiar. Parents of such a tween once asked me if I had told the kid to stop the behavior. Uh yes as a matter of fact I did and now I am telling you. Good luck, his parents may not be much better.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
I think your plan of talking to the parents is best. Please don't rely on the HOA for this (as another poster recommended). Putting it in the newsletter just makes the parents say, "Why didn't they just come to me directly? How petty!" or "Oh, they must be talking about someone else's brat, mine is an angel!" and makes the people who do the HOA's work (the manager and the volunteers) think, "Don't they know I have 9 million things to do that actually have to do with my job?" It's a lose, lose, lose all around and worst of all, will not address your problem. HOAs protect property values and run the common areas- they're not meant to solve or get in the middle of neighbor squabbles.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If he isn't a toddler and doesn't have some type of learning disability, a kid that age just knows better.
The first thing that occurred to me is that the kid does have a learning disability, especially since it sounds like he is excluded by the other kids. I would approach it from the point of view that this may be what is going on. I would talk to the parents, but make it from a tone of "I'm not sure why he would do that" rather than "don't you teach your kid right from wrong?" And as others have suggested, I would bring a few plants.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:33 AM

842 posts, read 2,588,222 times
The movie "Friday" comes to mind, when that kid rode around knocking over the neighbors garbage containers for sport until finally Chris Tucker and Ice Cube grabbed him off of his bike and took a belt to his hide with some punishing lashes . Now, I am not saying that this is what you should do ... wink ....wink, but it is one of those last resort things that make you go Hmm

Old 05-15-2011, 12:28 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
The movie "Friday" comes to mind, when that kid rode around knocking over the neighbors garbage containers for sport until finally Chris Tucker and Ice Cube grabbed him off of his bike and took a belt to his hide with some punishing lashes . Now, I am not saying that this is what you should do ... wink ....wink, but it is one of those last resort things that make you go Hmm
Jamerican, I'm growing worried by the amount of blood lust you're exhibiting toward young kids. beating children isn't the best way of getting them to behave.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:38 PM

842 posts, read 2,588,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Jamerican, I'm growing worried by the amount of blood lust you're exhibiting toward young kids. beating children isn't the best way of getting them to behave.
Lighten up dcgirl

Old 05-15-2011, 01:00 PM

662 posts, read 1,644,386 times
Good luck with the parents, OP. Hopefully you will get a more considerate and thoughtful response with your issue than what seems to have become the norm with people these days.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Is there a reason he didn't get to help you and the other neighborhod children plant the flowers?
Combine this with what CHT said...buy more flowers and invite him over to plant with you. Just him. Get an extra pot and have him plant it full for him to take home for his own porch. Give him lemonade. etc. Don't say one word about the destruction.

If I were his parent, I would want to know WHY my child was motivated to do this. (even if I denied it) and I think Rockinmomma hit the nail on the head. He may have other issues and making a friend of him might be the best thing you could ever do for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting