Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times

Advertisements

When DD and DS were both old enough to ride in the front seat of the car, of course it became an argument over who got to ride up front and who was stuck in the back....DD, thought she was so cool one day, and said, as we were walking toward the car, "I call shot-put!".....Of course, now we all say "shot-put" instead of "shotgun".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:26 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
In our house now:
Pasta with white sauce = "Mommy's noodles"
Pasta with red sauce = "Daddy's noodles"
Pasta with yellow cheese = "Kraft"
Chocolate = "Chock-Lick"
Eat = "Eat-Eat"
Pajamas = "Jammies"
I'm sure there's more.

When I was growing up:
If something is very hot, you say it has lots of "T"s (as in hotttttt), if it's only a little hot maybe it just has two "T"s, etc ("Be careful, that pot has lot's of "T"s!")

Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile You guys made me laugh

A dirty diaper (#1 and #2) was a full load. My husband thought of that one.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
Most of these are from when I was little and they have spilled over into my household

Spinkles : the wrinkles you get from being in the water too long
dog bites : hot dogs cut into bite sized pieces
biberty : Liberty (as in Lady Liberty)
footies : socks
num-nums : dog food (Dukes of Hazzard baybyyyyyy!)
coca-loca : Coca-cola
zoom-zoom : going crazy; hyper

Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Everybody has a "junk drawer," probably in their kitchen, right? A place where little odds and ends you have nowhere else to put get tossed. Ours was always the "krahm drawer." (I have no idea how that's supposed to be spelled, so I just spelled it phoentically). My dad had spent a lot of time in Germany, though he was not German himself. I always got the impression it was a German word for "junk" or "miscellaneous odds and ends." Today, after being grown and out of my parents' house for over 40 years, it's still the word I use, and my husband and kids also adopted it.

My husband is Hispanic. When you have a wad of snot in your nose (no nice way to put it, sorry), we don't say you've got a "bugger." We use the Spanish word "moco." Most people don't know what it means so if you're kind of discreet, we can often get away with using the word without being too obvious.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
We call that drawer the Nervous Drawer.. Unfortunately we have a lot of nervous drawers in our house

zippy food= spicy food
boom boom = #2
bang biscuits = packaged biscuits you bang on the counter to open
Billy and Millie= male and female bluebirds

meef moof meef moof = creep mouse creep mouse. Don't ask me how he got that
Lucy snacks = Lucy the dog raids the litter box and sometimes drops one
"that other kid who lives here"= when I can't remembers somebody's name

go pons= restaurant coupons cause we rarely go out to eat without one!
Nu Nu= GPS

Maudie= Mama's Odyssey
walkies= dog talk for going outside to pee
deer chow = daylillies
ticks on your shoulder= I see your shoulder moles

Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I always got the impression it was a German word for "junk" or "miscellaneous odds and ends."
Yep- spelt Kram.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM

124 posts, read 245,493 times
Funny thread! We've had a few of these over the years, but the ones I remember most are:

dead Pamper = dirty diaper
uppy uppy = wake up
bunny milk = Nestle's strawberry powder
go go juice = gasoline

The most recent addition to the family vocabulary comes from my 3 y/o granddaughter...
booty balls...yes...her word for poop!*lol*

Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I was thinking about this tonight as I was making dinner for my two teens and reached for a "smashula". For 16 years now, a spatula has been called a smashula ever since my then 2 year old son mixed up the words. We decided that smashula was more descriptive and accurate than a spatula anyway!

Another family vocabulary word is "chickmunk" rather than the traditional chipmunk.

What words are unique to your family vocabulary?

lol...
We call enchiladas..chi chi la la's

Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I was thinking about this tonight as I was making dinner for my two teens and reached for a "smashula". For 16 years now, a spatula has been called a smashula ever since my then 2 year old son mixed up the words. We decided that smashula was more descriptive and accurate than a spatula anyway!

Another family vocabulary word is "chickmunk" rather than the traditional chipmunk.

What words are unique to your family vocabulary?
When my sister was eight, she was hit by a car. My mother was on the scene minutes later with my then-two-year-old brother in tow. They rode in the ambulance to the hospital with the sirens going. This so impressed my bro that he talked about going to the "hoffalo" for a long time afterward.

My sister is now 50, my brother is 44, and we still call it the hoffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting