Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

I may be a little old-fashioned, but I feel like since I have daughters, it's my job to educate them on period issues and other puberty issues. Their dad is welcome to chime in about sex, birth control, and morality. But he doesn't want to hear about or talk about anyone's period and that's fine. He will buy supplies for it if necessary, as long as I take a picture of the box and text it to him, so he can be sure to buy the right one, but he doesn't want any details.

I would have been extremely uncomfortable discussing my period and the choice of pads or tampons with my father. I think most teen girls feel that way. I had a friend whose mother had died of cancer, when that friend was a teen and she started her period, she came to my house and my mom told her what she needed to know. Her dad probably would have been willing to talk to her about it, but that just felt too weird to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
You do realize that your post itself is an example of being close minded.

Having three daughters I can provide a unique Dad perspective. As a team my wife and I decided to both educate our daughters on their upcoming menstrual cycles and all that it entails. We explained both the positives and negatives to using pads and tampons. Our daughters choose to wear pads for the most part until they were 17 or so. They had no problem because they made the choice with utilizing pads and finding ones that worked for all occasions. Yeah the whole swimming and PE thing is bupkis also, at least according to my daughters. They laughed at quite a few of the posts from some of their so called enlightened sisters as they put it.

Some of you women who accuse men of being neanderthals in their attitudes on this issue, are just as bassackwards in your beliefs that fathers can not be involved in that part of their daughters lives.
Huh? How is the swimming thing bupkis? You can't swim without a tampon. Well, I suppose you could but that is a level of nasty I can't even fathom.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Huh? How is the swimming thing bupkis? You can't swim without a tampon. Well, I suppose you could but that is a level of nasty I can't even fathom.
No you can't and its digusting to swim with a pad, keep that crap inside you, I don't want to be swimming with someones period blood.

I remember at swim team try outs when I was in 9th grade this one girl had started her period in the pool and we she got out it was all going down her legs, it was so gross, she was trailing blood all over the deck and into the locker room and it was EVERYWHERE!

GAG

Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In the Stone Ages it was common to not let young women wear tampons because it could somehow damage their virginity (hymen). I don't think it was as much a physical concern as it was a moral issue.

What is the modern thinking about this? I remember I had to sneak tampax into my house even tho I was still a virgin in high school but I wasn't about to wear pads during PE, swimming etc. My mother found them in my purse and you would have thought it was the end of the world with her thinking I was a fallen woman. When I tried to tell her all my friends wore them, her response was that we would live to regret it on our wedding night. That was many decades ago but I'm sure there are still some people who believe that.

How do your young daughters handle period time? I'm hoping I still have about 2 years left before I have to face this again but I need to know what the current thinking is.

Many thanks.

What? That is crazy????? Lose your virginity to a tampon?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:

Perfect example how a man knows nothing about this topic.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I admire people who are frugal or concerned enough about the environment to use washable pads. I've even seen patterns for crocheted tampons (using cotton yarn).

I'm not at that point yet myself, but good for you!
That is starting to sound like a doily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yeah, I was going to say it must be an environmental concern issue. Thank god I don't have that problem anymore but with two little ones getting to that stage in the next few years, I don't think I could expect them to use washable protection. Now a grown woman can make that decision but a 12 or 13 year old girl? Do you know how teased and bullied she would be?
Girls in the hallway: Hey Jane, where are you going with that blood-soaked doily in your hand?

Jane: Oh, it's not a doily, it's my re-usable pad. I'm just taking it to put it in my purse so I can take it home and wash it. Isn't that what all the girls do?

Quote:
I would love to see bulldogdad try to swim with a waterlogged feminine pad between his legs. I have a feeling he is pulling our leg here about his daughters - either that or they have a very "special" relationship with their dad. I don't know of a single female friend of mine who would even discuss periods with their father, let alone share some laughs with their dad while reading a thread online together about menstruation.

One of my best friends told me about an incident where she went to the pool with a girl who had her period. She insisted that the sex ed tape said you could swim with a pad on. My friend told her no, that was for tampons, but no, the girl wouldn't listen - she went in the pool with her pad stuck to the inside of her bathing suit. Needless to say, she didn't stay in long, and she had to do the perp walk back to the locker room with an engorged pad between her legs with water trickling down her legs.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I may be a little old-fashioned, but I feel like since I have daughters, it's my job to educate them on period issues and other puberty issues. Their dad is welcome to chime in about sex, birth control, and morality. But he doesn't want to hear about or talk about anyone's period and that's fine. He will buy supplies for it if necessary, as long as I take a picture of the box and text it to him, so he can be sure to buy the right one, but he doesn't want any details.

I would have been extremely uncomfortable discussing my period and the choice of pads or tampons with my father. I think most teen girls feel that way. I had a friend whose mother had died of cancer, when that friend was a teen and she started her period, she came to my house and my mom told her what she needed to know. Her dad probably would have been willing to talk to her about it, but that just felt too weird to her.
My daughter is not at all shy about talking about periods in front of my husband. In fact, after she started her first period, that was just about ALL we talked about during the 5-6 days it lasted. She was constantly asking me questions and comparing my answers to what she read in some books she had and what was written on the tampon box. My husband was slightly flustered by it, but he's a trooper so he didn't really show it. He did say that one morning he was getting ready to take her to school (I had already left for work) and she was quizzing him on how much "stuff" (tampons and pads) she should take to school and he just shrugged and said, "Enough." LOL.

I second the comments about swimming with a pad on. No way that would work.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:30 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just one question - Why?

P.S. I clicked the link, and those pads look like they were used before being photographed. Shudder.
Why do I choose to use washable pads? I guess for all the same reasons I choose to use washable diapers on my kid. What's the difference really? It saves a ton of trash, and a ton of money too. There was a time that I would have thought it was gross to use "mama cloth", but after having kids I'm a lot less squeamish I guess, and it's just not a big deal for me now. By the way, I'm using washable napkins in the kitchen too (kitchen cloth). I know people who use washable wipes instead of toilet paper too (family cloth), but I haven't gone there because my husband is still opposed. The baby gets washable wipes, but the rest of us use toilet paper.

I believe that she makes the pads in those patterns so that it isn't so noticeable if they get stained. If you get them topped with minky, they don't really stain though, and minky is very soft feeling (assuming you can tolerate synthetics).

Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:

Did I state that they went swimming? No I merely pointed out that it is not a big deal. You assumed they went swimming, they just choose to stay out of the pool. Again its not a big deal unless you make it one. Next time don't assume maybe ask a question to clarify.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Perfect example how a man knows nothing about this topic.

Again more assumptions on your part. If the above poster that you give so much credit to, had asked to clarify my statement instead of assuming then the both of you would have been enlightened.

Your statement makes no sense given the fact that there are so many male gynecologists in the world. Funny little fact to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting