U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:32 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,027,724 times

Advertisements

I was at my daughters elementary school today volunteering at the rummage sale. I was working the concession area with a young girl in 6th grade. Another young girl came up to buy something and the young girl I was working with asked her if she was going to a particular Middle School the following year, when the girl said yes, the other girl told her not to get pregnant. I was like, huh? So I asked the girl who was working with me and she told me that 7 6th graders at her school are pregnant! These girls are like 11 to 12 years old and they are pregnant! I guess one of the girls was pregnant at the end of 5th grade and gave birth some time after Summer. I just can't beleive this! What is happening to our youth these days? When I was in Middle School I wasn't even thinking about sex. Where are the parents? Where are these kids having sex? I honestly didn't know what to say. I guess I just needed to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:36 PM

43,012 posts, read 86,149,687 times
Yikes! They're not getting pregnant that young where I live. This seems to happen in social clusters. It's not the norm across the US.

Any chance you can do the private school route when your daughter goes into middle school?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yikes! They're not getting pregnant that young where I live. This seems to happen in social clusters. It's not the norm across the US.

Any chance you can do the private school route when your daughter goes into middle school?
I certainly hope this isn't the norm, she will be in a convent! lol

Thankfully we are moving from the state after this school year, so she won't be going to this particular middle school.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:39 PM

15,123 posts, read 28,271,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I was at my daughters elementary school today volunteering at the rummage sale. I was working the concession area with a young girl in 6th grade. Another young girl came up to buy something and the young girl I was working with asked her if she was going to a particular Middle School the following year, when the girl said yes, the other girl told her not to get pregnant. I was like, huh? So I asked the girl who was working with me and she told me that 7 6th graders at her school are pregnant! These girls are like 11 to 12 years old and they are pregnant! I guess one of the girls was pregnant at the end of 5th grade and gave birth some time after Summer. I just can't beleive this! What is happening to our youth these days? When I was in Middle School I wasn't even thinking about sex. Where are the parents? Where are these kids having sex? I honestly didn't know what to say. I guess I just needed to vent.
Despite the fact that, not being a parent, I don't BELONG in this forum (according to some). I often comment on posts such as yours that indicate that most parents (ok, many parents) do not take the job seriously. Whether it is underage drinking or middle school pregnancy, it all boils down to one factor - lack of parenting.

Most parents who do not care enough about their children to discipline them lament.... "you can't watch a child 24 hours a day". Well, I don't buy into that. Maybe if all the "single parents" out there were less concerned with the rigors of dating and more concerned with the health and welfare of their children we wouldn't see 5th graders giving birth. You CAN watch your child 24 hours a day, and in today's society, alas, you MUST.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 PM

29,095 posts, read 30,636,503 times
6th graders....the source of everything real and true.

I'm not saying young girls don't get pregnant since they obviously have been since the beginning of time. But you can't do anything.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:55 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,888,985 times
Doesn't social services ask some questions when 11 and 12 year old girls come up pregnant? Last time I checked, it was against the law for someone to have sex with a minor. I mean, they're labeling kids as sex offenders for "sexting." I would think if a fifth grader showed up at a doctor's office pregnant, by law he would have to report it. And I would also think if there were 7 6th graders at one elementary school that were all pregnant, the administration would also be trying to see what kind of crazy pregnancy pact was going on with these kids, and be calling child welfare, some parents, and the police if necessary. Where on earth do you live? Even in the worst of schools in the most horrible of cities, that many pregnant 12 year olds would raise some alarms. I think either that story the girl told you is untrue, or it's an exaggeration.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Doesn't social services ask some questions when 11 and 12 year old girls come up pregnant? Last time I checked, it was against the law for someone to have sex with a minor. I mean, they're labeling kids as sex offenders for "sexting." I would think if a fifth grader showed up at a doctor's office pregnant, by law he would have to report it. And I would also think if there were 7 6th graders at one elementary school that were all pregnant, the administration would also be trying to see what kind of crazy pregnancy pact was going on with these kids, and be calling child welfare, some parents, and the police if necessary. Where on earth do you live? Even in the worst of schools in the most horrible of cities, that many pregnant 12 year olds would raise some alarms. I think either that story the girl told you is untrue, or it's an exaggeration.
I would really see no reason for her to lie or exagerate, we didn't even know eachother until today. She also relayed the same story to a few other adults that were there. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through if it weren't true.

Since I do not have a child at that school I don't know if anything has been done about the situation, but I would certainly hope someone would be doing something.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 33,287,976 times
It's against the law for an ADULT to have sex with a minor. If a 12-year-old is boinking another 12-year-old, it's not a legal matter, because - which of the two is violating the law? Gonna put them both in jail?

As for it being entirely the responsibility of the parents who aren't paying attention to their kids, I say - not entirely, but definitely somewhat. Some parents DO pay close and careful attention to their kids. But they are not -capable- of monitoring every move they make. They are not capable of knowing, magickally, when their daughter tells the teacher she's feeling sick, gets a pass to the nurse's office, and leaves the classroom to boink her boyfriend in the back hall under the stairs.

However, the parents -are- responsible to teach their kids right from wrong. So if the kid IS boinking her boyfriend, she knows damned well she shouldn't be doing it. And even though she might not really comprehend the consequences, she knows damned well there WILL be some.

If she doesn't know at least that much, then yes - the parents have failed at their job.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:18 PM

579 posts, read 687,888 times
Last year while in 5th grade my daughter told me a 9th grader returned to the K-8 school to show off her new twins.

When I was in middle school a good number of kids were sexually active... I find it very sad. Much too young.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:25 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,888,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's against the law for an ADULT to have sex with a minor. If a 12-year-old is boinking another 12-year-old, it's not a legal matter, because - which of the two is violating the law? Gonna put them both in jail?
I don't think it's just adults, or maybe it depends on the state you live in. I thought if it was a certain age difference, say 12 and 16, the 16 year old could be charged with a crime. There's no age difference if they're both 12, so nothing would probably happen to either of them. I don't know what the case is in this situation, which is why I hope somebody at that school is trying to figure it out. My 1st question with a pregnant child would be sexual abuse, and who did it? And 7 pregnant 12 year olds? What if it's the same adult? I think this sounds a bit too much like a Law and Order episode, which is why I hope the kid is lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or