U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:19 PM

534 posts, read 831,524 times
Default If you had a son that was exposing himself to others, would you want to know?Help with advice.

Here is the problem, my neighbor has exposed himself to myself and another neighbor.(He is twelve, I believe) While this is shoking to us, I think we should let the parents know so they can get him for him. What do you think? Would you want to know? Should I tell them, or should I call authorities? Need advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,178,790 times
I had an issue with a younger neighbor boy and I did talk to the parents about it and I warned other neighbors about it including one family whose own child already saw it but never told his parents, but I became the bad guy. Everyone said I was lying and it wasn't that big a deal. I was overreacting. The parents already knew about the problem because they knew what I was going to say to them before I even said it. They weren't at all concerned (at least in front of me). My family is a total outsider in the neighborhood now in a Kill The Messengar kind of deal, but I still think I did the right thing. Others have even told me I should have called child protective services, but I didn't do that. He was too young to call the police although I did consult with an officer about it.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:50 AM

16,455 posts, read 11,412,490 times
Despite how hard it would be to hear such news, YES I would want to know if my child was doing such a thing. This young man needs help and quickly. It may seem somewhat ok since he is 12, but one day he will be 22 and a grown man doing this if it is not stopped. He has some serious problems and his parents need to know right away.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:45 PM

7,462 posts, read 6,948,401 times
I would approach the parents, tell them what you experienced their son do in as nonjudgemental a way as possible. I would simply relate the "facts" and then wait to see how they handle it.

If MY son had been exposing himself to other's at that age, yes, I would definately want to know about it.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:50 PM

399 posts, read 1,101,603 times
I would want to know. I would tell the parents.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:28 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,132,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
Here is the problem, my neighbor has exposed himself to myself and another neighbor.(He is twelve, I believe) While this is shoking to us, I think we should let the parents know so they can get him for him. What do you think? Would you want to know? Should I tell them, or should I call authorities? Need advice.
I would definitely tell his family first. As a parent, I'd want to know my child is engaging in this behavior. I do hope they listen and seek help for him before something worse happens.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:07 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,049,843 times
I agree with above poster that telling the parents is the right thing to do, but it could make you the bad guy. I have a friend in a similiar situation. She told the neighbors that their son was exposing himself and doing other inappropriate things. She is now the bad person. But honestly, being the bad guy and having nothing to do with them might be the best thing. If the kid is 12 and exposing himself, he has some issues.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 PM

1,172 posts, read 4,301,377 times
Do what my mom did when some guy flashed her in Boston. Just point and laugh really loudly. That usually works.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 PM

8,002 posts, read 13,023,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
I agree with above poster that telling the parents is the right thing to do, but it could make you the bad guy. I have a friend in a similiar situation. She told the neighbors that their son was exposing himself and doing other inappropriate things. She is now the bad person. But honestly, being the bad guy and having nothing to do with them might be the best thing. If the kid is 12 and exposing himself, he has some issues.
I agree, I would definitely want to know. And yes, they may never speak to you again, but you are doing the best thing for that child. Good Luck to you -any good parent will listen to you and get help for their child. Maybe you and the other neighbor can both sit the parents down and talk privately about the matter. Similar situation happened on my block, me and another neighbor had to talk to a parent and she took it very well and was thankful and everything is better.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:34 AM

394 posts, read 1,486,549 times
And you can't quite say the child has a (sicko) problem (yet), but it may be a problem with the parents? At twelve, he's old enough to know right from wrong, and it may be he knows what he's doing is wrong, but it gets him a lot of attention, even if it's negative.

My first instinct was to raise my eyebrows and say "future sexual predator" when I read it. But I was trying to sit back and look at all angles.

(and yes, I would tell the parents....I would be horrified if I found out my son was doing that. WAIT! He is! But he's only 4...and is a little obsessed with the body parts right now...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting