Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I understand what you're saying, it just differs from my own opinion. If I only listened to those here who were 46 year old married mothers of 4 year old girls, then my experience on this forum would be very limited.

IMO, a good piece of advice is a good piece of advice, regardless of it's source.

The majority of the people who participate in Mattie's thread have not been through her circumstances, yet look at everybody giving their two cents, including you.

I would have spent 2.5 milliseconds of my life here if that was the criteria for participation. How unbelievably dull it would be.
Nicely put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
If it helps at all, I have been a mother and I hate bratty kids too and may have given a look or two in my day.
I have done it too. But then I stop myself and remember that these are kids. Most likely they are tired, not well disciplined or have developmental disability. None of which is their fault for which they should get a dirty look from an adult who knows better.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, it just differs from my own opinion. If I only listened to those here who were 46 year old married mothers of 4 year old girls, then my experience on this forum would be very limited.

IMO, a good piece of advice is a good piece of advice, regardless of it's source.

The majority of the people who participate in Mattie's thread have not been through her circumstances, yet look at everybody giving their two cents, including you.

I would have spent 2.5 milliseconds of my life here if that was the criteria for participation. How unbelievably dull it would be.
But that isn't what I said and you know it. If you want to continue with the deliberate obtuseness, go ahead. I'm not going to explain myself yet again.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
But that isn't what I said and you know it. If you want to continue with the deliberate obtuseness, go ahead. I'm not going to explain myself yet again.
No, that is exactly what you said.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
I'm not being deliberately obtuse, actually. You said you won't take advice from people who are non parents because the haven't been in the trenches, so to speak - and if someone hasn't experienced it that they can't offer an opinion because they can't possibly know what it's like.

I said I have different opinion about it than you. How's that being obtuse?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No, that is exactly what you said.
No, sorry. Didn't say it.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I'm not being deliberately obtuse, actually. You said you won't take advice from people who are non parents because the haven't been in the trenches, so to speak - and if someone hasn't experienced it that they can't offer an opinion because they can't possibly know what it's like.

I said I have different opinion about it than you. How's that being obtuse?
Because you said about taking advice from a parent who has the same exact age/sex as your child. That isn't what I said but several times you've insisted that is what I said.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Magritte, this is *exactly* what you said - I bolded it for emphasis:

Quote:
I take advice from a parent over a non-parent (aka person who hasn't raised children) because they know what it's like in the trenches.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Magritte, this is *exactly* what you said - I bolded it for emphasis:
I KNOW that is what I said. I said it again on my last post.

I did not, however, say:

Quote:

Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Because you said about taking advice from a parent who has the same exact age/sex as your child. That isn't what I said but several times you've insisted that is what I said.
I'm taking the concept of your idea to it's extreme to illustrate my point. And I said it once, not several times.

There are instances where it helps to hear from others who have shared an experience similar to yours. But in the context of this forum, when someone posts a situation and invites everyone to comment, I don't see why it matters so much that someone's not a parent, just like it doesn't matter that not everyone that contributes to Mattie's thread is not the mother of a 25 year old son, having issues with a future DIL. Plenty of people have given good common sense advice because they can put themselves in her situation, plus they simply have general life experience.

You have a different POV. I'm not presuming to change your mind, I'm explaining my position on it, stating my reasoning. Probably won't be the last time I'm called obtuse (or worse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting