U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,347,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh, I feel ya, I'm having the same problem. I've been teaching MissFR that it's rude and disrespectful to say "No Mummy" every time I say something.

I understand totally, she's also very detail specific, so if I say "Go get that blue cup and put it in the sink. please" she'll say "No Mummy, it's a turquoise cup" and although she's right, it's aggravating to say the least. So I try and frame my questions correctly.

It's tricky, but I've been telling her that people will phrase things differently than she might, and that it's rude to correct somebody at every turn, even if she thinks she's right and needs to say so. Or at minimum, that it PO's people to have every sentence you say to them start with "No".

Of course, I'm completely non argumentative, so she must get it from MrFR.
Do you have a clone of my DD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM

11,285 posts, read 16,787,876 times
Wife and I have one 4 year old. Scores of people ask if we are going to have another one. That does not really bother me as its just curiosity and so forth. But there are a select few who upon hearing the answer (no), dismiss that and state that we will. And a couple have even said its not our choice, but God's.

My answer has been that God is welcome to try to circumvent the birth control.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,615,042 times
Quote:
Oh, I feel ya, I'm having the same problem. I've been teaching MissFR that it's rude and disrespectful to say "No Mummy" every time I say something.

I understand totally, she's also very detail specific, so if I say "Go get that blue cup and put it in the sink. please" she'll say "No Mummy, it's a turquoise cup" and although she's right, it's aggravating to say the least. So I try and frame my questions correctly.

It's tricky, but I've been telling her that people will phrase things differently than she might, and that it's rude to correct somebody at every turn, even if she thinks she's right and needs to say so. Or at minimum, that it PO's people to have every sentence you say to them start with "No".

I think my ODS is somehow related to your DD. LOL He does the same exact thing! His teachers also cannot believe when I tell them he gets in trouble at home, gets mouthy, etc.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,963,937 times
Quote:

OMG, do you have my DD's twin? She does the exact same thing! If I say, "Look at the alligator!" she says, "No, Mommy. It's a crocodile." In this very condescending voice, like she's really saying, "you fool." Or, when I tell her something she feels she already knows, she says, " I KNOW that already, Mommy. I'm a smart kid." It's SO annoying. I keep telling her that, yes, she is smart, but she'd be even smarter if she listens instead of thinking she already knows everything. She's FOUR. What are we in for when they hit 16?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM

21,129 posts, read 22,076,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
OMG, do you have my DD's twin? She does the exact same thing! If I say, "Look at the alligator!" she says, "No, Mommy. It's a crocodile." In this very condescending voice, like she's really saying, "you fool." Or, when I tell her something she feels she already knows, she says, " I KNOW that already, Mommy. I'm a smart kid." It's SO annoying. I keep telling her that, yes, she is smart, but she'd be even smarter if she listens instead of thinking she already knows everything. She's FOUR. What are we in for when they hit 16?
My DD's favorite phrase at 16 when I'd point something out or ask about something? "Mom....I've got it under control!" . Until of course, it became apparent at some point that she did not have everything under control. (Although, to be honest, she often did!)

Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,694,930 times
Quote:
Very few things annoy me as a parent more than hearing other parents say things like these to their (or any other) kids:

"Billie, you see that man up on the cross? He died for your sins."
That's the whole basis of Christianity. It shouldn't be horrible for us Christians to say this to our own children.
You can disagree w/ my belief system all you want but it's ridiculous for you to state that we shouldn't remind our own children of the core of our belief. Thanks.

One of my big peeves is hearing/reading (usually in women's magazines) "Jane Doe, a busy mom" or "Jane Doe, a busy working mom"

-- We're all busy. We're all working. Some just leave the house to do it. But every mom is a working mom.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,925,490 times
Quote:
LOL, my nephew does that too. He's turning seven, going on 17.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,154,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I had boy/ girl twins first. I kept hearing "Oh, one of each, you are lucky, you won't have to go again!" and also "urgh twins, rather you than me!" (yes, quite!). When they were 15 months, I got pregnant again, so then I got "oh are you wanting to be like those Duggars?" and "you do know how to use birth control, right?" (our third was a miracle baby- it took us 3 years and 3 rounds of fertility treatment to get pregnant with the twins!).
Ah yes...twins: "Are they natural?"...or occasionally, "did you use drugs?"
Yeah honey, a six-pack of Coronaa and some ecstasy.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,347,597 times
Ok. I am probably going to get flamed for this, but I have to get it out there.

The supermoms who make their own food (organic of course), volunteer at the school 4 days a week, their kids are still in a 5 point harness when they are 11, etc, etc, etc. They don't bother me until they look down on you for not doing all of the things that they do. I am sorry, but I guess I am a much more "go with the flow" style of parent. My parenting style isn't affecting you. My child is not in danger. So butt out! I am not trying to force my style on you. Don't force yours on me.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,713,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Do you have a clone of my DD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think my ODS is somehow related to your DD. LOL He does the same exact thing! His teachers also cannot believe when I tell them he gets in trouble at home, gets mouthy, etc.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
LOL, my nephew does that too. He's turning seven, going on 17.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My DD's favorite phrase at 16 when I'd point something out or ask about something? "Mom....I've got it under control!" . Until of course, it became apparent at some point that she did not have everything under control. (Although, to be honest, she often did!)
What??!! You mean my daughter is not the only bossypants - knowitall - argumentative kid in the universe?! But I thought she was so special!

No really, I'm glad to hear it's not just me. Good to know you are all getting schooled in how the sky is NOT blue it's azure, on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting