Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
My recent favorite (at my health club the other day) was: Where did you get your boobs? and Are you fixed?
Where did you get your boobs? Like you're going to answer, "QVC" or, "The plastic surgeon was having a two-fer: buy one boob, get one free!" or, "They came with my Happy Meal." Followed by, "Where'd you get your manners?"

And Are you fixed? ... Egads. Were you broken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Where did you get your boobs? Like you're going to answer, "QVC" or, "The plastic surgeon was having a two-fer: buy one boob, get one free!" or, "They came with my Happy Meal." Followed by, "Where'd you get your manners?"

And Are you fixed? ... Egads. Were you broken?
They came with my Happy Meal... That's something I would say. lol.

Or she could have responded with "My mom gave them to me for my 4th birthday."

I am small chested and I actually heard the comment "I thought having kids made your boobs bigger." My response: "You should have seen them before I had my DD. I had innies."

Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Q: Where'd you get your boobs?
A: My mom gave me a voucher when I was seven!

Okay, I am kind of snotty.

I have to add, too, that some of the most annoying things I hear or experience as a parent come from my own kids. Right now, nobody is fessing up to taking my good tweezers.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Q: Where'd you get your boobs?
A: My mom gave me a voucher when I was seven!

Okay, I am kind of snotty.

I have to add, too, that some of the most annoying things I hear or experience as a parent come from my own kids. Right now, nobody is fessing up to taking my good tweezers.
Why do they always take the good tweezers? I swear the good ones always go missing. I thought it was just my house. I finally started hiding them in my sock drawer.

lol. we were thinking about the same story with the voucher. I was off on my age guess though.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
One of the most annoying things I hear as a parent are: OK, I'll do it in a minute(never happens).

Old 06-15-2011, 05:12 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
I don't know if it's already been said, but one of the things that has always angered me is when parents will sit there and talk about their kids, right in front of their faces, to others....like their kids have no feelings whatsoever. Of course, I can't stand it when couples do it either. I mean, it's one thing if you're saying something NICE about them, but to go on and on about them, complaining and humiliating them, I can't handle it. Well...LOL, I DON'T handle it. I have to say something. Have I ticked a few people off that way? Yepper!...those kind of people can't stand being "corrected" or "called out" in front of their mates or children, any more than their children or mates like being humiliated in front of others! In fact, I've actually ended a couple of friendships that way.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
I try not to let "mompetition" or other parenting issues bother me... but I will say that today, a HS friend of mine posted a picture of her little girl on Facebook watching a basketball game, acting like a cheerleader. The photo caption was "Ugh! 'X' looks more like a cheerleader than a basketball player! No way she'll ever do such a thing- she needs to be in a REAL sport like basketball!"

Kind of made me a little sad for the girl if she has an interest in cheerleading (or a different activity). Not all kids are cut out for playing basketball or whatever else she deems as a "real" sport.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:35 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I try not to let "mompetition" or other parenting issues bother me... but I will say that today, a HS friend of mine posted a picture of her little girl on Facebook watching a basketball game, acting like a cheerleader. The photo caption was "Ugh! 'X' looks more like a cheerleader than a basketball player! No way she'll ever do such a thing- she needs to be in a REAL sport like basketball!"

Kind of made me a little sad for the girl if she has an interest in cheerleading (or a different activity). Not all kids are cut out for playing basketball or whatever else she deems as a "real" sport.
I really wonder about people like this. Do you not care that you might be offending so many people who think differently? I have a son and not a daughter. And, honestly, if I had a daughter I would definitely steer her more toward playing basketball than cheering for boys. But I wouldn't be so obnoxious about it in public. It's a personal thing and I would keep it that way. And if she had a genuine interest I would have to swallow hard and just be supportive. My friend's daughter is a twirler and I would not discredit the work her little girl has done or put a damper on the joy they have doing it.

slightly off topic - do cheerleaders now cheer for girls and boys teams? In grammar school I signed up for cheerleading because some friends were going it but it conflicted with my own basketball games. So I think that has clouded my thoughts about cheerleading since. Even at the time I thought "why would I cheer for them when I can play myself?" and "where are our cheerleaders?".

Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I really wonder about people like this. Do you not care that you might be offending so many people who think differently? I have a son and not a daughter. And, honestly, if I had a daughter I would definitely steer her more toward playing basketball than cheering for boys. But I wouldn't be so obnoxious about it in public. It's a personal thing and I would keep it that way. And if she had a genuine interest I would have to swallow hard and just be supportive. My friend's daughter is a twirler and I would not discredit the work her little girl has done or put a damper on the joy they have doing it.

slightly off topic - do cheerleaders now cheer for girls and boys teams? In grammar school I signed up for cheerleading because some friends were going it but it conflicted with my own basketball games. So I think that has clouded my thoughts about cheerleading since. Even at the time I thought "why would I cheer for them when I can play myself?" and "where are our cheerleaders?".
When dd said she wanted to try cheerleading, I kind of thought "ok. This will be an ok activity for a couple of years and she can do some sports too. After seeing some cheerleading, I have changed my opinion about it. That is a real sport now. It is nothing like when I was a kid and there were girls on the sidelines waving pom poms. Those cheerleaders work hard. They have super athletic ability, do crazy stunts, and smile through the entire thing.

No. I am not a crazy cheer mom (dd is still at the pom pom waving stage), but I don't think people should really put down an activity they don't know much about. Especially since they don't know if that is the sport that really speaks to the child.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I don't know if it's already been said, but one of the things that has always angered me is when parents will sit there and talk about their kids, right in front of their faces, to others....like their kids have no feelings whatsoever.
Yes! Beachy, yes!

Or talking about adult subjects in front of little kids, "I was on The Pill but it didn't work and now I have this one" (points to 6-year old standing next to her) "and I just hate being tied down. I'm going in to get my tubes tied tomorrow because I'll kill myself if I have to have any more of these little snots." (Yes. I've heard it.)

Drives.me.up.a.WALL!! I've been known to distract the child so he doesn't have to listen to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting