Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,590,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
That is horrible. I'll never understand how and why some people can be so mean.
Recently, we were waiting in line with my husband at a store, and the woman in front of us was just bizarre. She moved her daughter on the other side of herself, edging away. She kept giving our daughter uneasy glances and edging away. Like she had leprosy. My daughter was oblivious, but my husband said, "It's not catching, lady." She hustled away without ever looking at us, just staring at our daughter.

Then there are the people who flat-out ignore her when she speaks to them. Luckily those people are rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,324,709 times
People that don't have the common sense to realize that parenting is an art-- not a science. There is no one correct way to raise children. Even though parents want the "best" for their children- it's all relative. We all value different "things" as parents. We value things such as education and respect for all people. Others may value sports and independence above all. And it's OKAY-- we can still have a playdate at the park- and share recipes even though we "disagree." I don't do well with that "all or nothing" mindset (if I did I wouldn't have any friends). I'm gonna sleep just fine at night doing things "my way" and I expect other parents should do the same.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"Oh, he looks just like his father!"

DH and I are both blue eyed blondes. But did I get half the credit? No.
HILARIOUS! sounds like my FIL. My kids look like EVERYBODY expect for my husband and I?! Seriously?! Can you at least amuse us?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Very few things annoy me as a parent more than hearing other parents say things like these to their (or any other) kids:

"Billie, you see that man up on the cross? He died for your sins."
"Billie, This man Noah took two of every animal and put them on a ship for 40 days and 40 nights."

You get the point.

YouTube - ‪Brain Washing ( Jesus Camp ''Highlights'' )‬‏
I could not rep you but I LOVE IT! I have in-laws like that-- one minute telling me I need to spare the rod, asking to take my kids to church, telling me I need to send my kids to bible camp- and the next minute bein' a hypocrite. Like HELLLLLO--- I can see right through you Do you even realize how stupid you look?!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,416,071 times
Pretty much MOST of the things/topics/ideas I hear about in the modern "parenting" world are annoying and obnoxious to me!

Lucky me. Try finding a "support group" for this one!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,415,297 times
The whole 'competitive parenting' thing gets to me also and it begins at birth. "My, little Julie was sitting up at 1/2 months and crawling at 2". And walking by six months, don't cha know! Leaving you mortified that your little darling hasn't even bothered to roll over yet!

And it just continues from there on out - from elementary school on. Comparing our kids to one another to see how they (we) measure up.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,415,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
the "working Mom vs Stay At home Mom" argument has been argued to death. I'm tired to hearing abut it and it will never go away. But in this thread? Really?
Sorry. I haven't been around forever and must have missed some, or all, ofthose!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,521,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The whole 'competitive parenting' thing gets to me also and it begins at birth. "My, little Julie was sitting up at 1/2 months and crawling at 2". And walking by six months, don't cha know! Leaving you mortified that your little darling hasn't even bothered to roll over yet!

And it just continues from there on out - from elementary school on. Comparing our kids to one another to see how they (we) measure up.
Honestly you just have to ignore the competitive parents, they get off on the one-upmanship. It's quite pathetic. And it has been my experience that they may be exaggerating their stories a teensy bit anyway, and their little angel is pretty much the same as all the other kids the same age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Sorry. I haven't been around forever and must have missed some, or all, of those!
As a SAHM it saddens me to say that most of the flak comes from SAHM's felling a tad bit superior in the parenting department. My take on it is that most parents are doing the best job they can, and there really is no right or wrong in that endless debate.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,802,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Honestly you just have to ignore the competitive parents, they get off on the one-upmanship. It's quite pathetic. And it has been my experience that they may be exaggerating their stories a teensy bit anyway, and their little angel is pretty much the same as all the other kids the same age.

As a SAHM it saddens me to say that most of the flak comes from SAHM's felling a tad bit superior in the parenting department. My take on it is that most parents are doing the best job they can, and there really is no right or wrong in that endless debate.
You are the first SAHM I have ever heard admit that! You are my new hero.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,894,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Could not agree with you more! IMO, parenting is a tough job no matter how you slice it and there are pros/cons to all of the choices we make for our families. I wish more people thought like you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting