Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 04:18 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

People who think my son, who has autism, just needs to be disciplined the "right way" and all his issues would disappear. As if it is our fault (or his) that he is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Recently, we were waiting in line with my husband at a store, and the woman in front of us was just bizarre. She moved her daughter on the other side of herself, edging away. She kept giving our daughter uneasy glances and edging away. Like she had leprosy. My daughter was oblivious, but my husband said, "It's not catching, lady." She hustled away without ever looking at us, just staring at our daughter.

Then there are the people who flat-out ignore her when she speaks to them. Luckily those people are rare.

I'm so angry for you and your daughter, Julia. WTF?! What is wrong with people!?

Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Honestly you just have to ignore the competitive parents, they get off on the one-upmanship. It's quite pathetic. And it has been my experience that they may be exaggerating their stories a teensy bit anyway, and their little angel is pretty much the same as all the other kids the same age.

As a SAHM it saddens me to say that most of the flak comes from SAHM's felling a tad bit superior in the parenting department. My take on it is that most parents are doing the best job they can, and there really is no right or wrong in that endless debate.
Completely agree. What amuses me about the Holier Than Thou Super SAHM's is that they are a relatively new phenomenon. They always harken back to "the old days" when moms stayed home and how much better off their kids were. No, back in the farming days, mom went to work on the farm with dad while grammy and gramps stayed home with the littlest ones.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namomof3 View Post
It drives me insane as well-- Johnny was eating whole steaks at 6months old! Molly was potty trained at 9months old! Annie was "reading" books at 2yrs old! (Btw- modeling and repetition of books is not "reading") I sometimes wonder if they are THAT many delirious parents out there in the world! Scary---
My grandmothers raised three and six kids respectively. They both said they cannot remember when any of their children used the potty, got off the boob (or bottle) or started sleeping thru the night.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
On the disabled thing, I have a little bit of perspective. Though certainly not anywhere near a real disability, I have vitiligo, the same disease Michael Jackson had. There is no cure, though it is manageable with treatment. Mine started to appear towards the end of high school, but really took off in college.

Through treatment and careful use of sunscreen it is now controlled and not really noticable. It never directly affected my relationships, but there were moments I got the "stranger stares". It was during a time when I had a large blotch on my face that wasn't responding well to treatment. I was out to dinner with some friends and a man at the table next to me kept staring and I saw him make a comment to others at his table who then turned and looked. Nothing was said at that moment, but I did occasionally catch him staring throughout dinner.

When our meal was over and we were getting ready to leave I calmly stood up, walked over to his table, touched his face with my finger and calmly said, "Now you have it", turned and walked away.

DAMN DID THAT FEEL GOOD, lol.

On the most annoying things I hear as a parent it would probably be...WWWWWAAAAAAHHHHH...HE'S TOUCHING ME!!!!!!

That is awesome! LOL

Old 06-03-2011, 05:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Ugh. I've seen that documentary twice. Each time I see a clip of it, I get so angry and offended for these children. That place is no different than terrorist training camps in the Middle East. It's disgusting.
I pretty much agree; Similar but not as extreme. It bugs me that people who go to church don't think they are being brainwashed. They've heard this message over and over since birth and it is inconceivable that the message is wrong or can be questioned. Even people with PhDs in the sciences cannot overcome these deep influences. It is mind boggling.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
People who think my son, who has autism, just needs to be disciplined the "right way" and all his issues would disappear. As if it is our fault (or his) that he is different.
You would think in this day and age with all the information out there, people would know that autism isn't a discipline issue. On the other hand, if they don't know he is autistic, it's easy to jump to conclusions. I have been guilty of that myself.

I attended the baptism of a friend's son a few years ago. During the entire ceremony, there was a little boy, beautiful child to look at, of about four years old, walking up and down the aisle next to me stomping his feet and yelling at the top of his lungs. No one stopped him and I wondered what the hell was wrong with his parents. They just sort of pretended it wasn't happening. I was very annoyed and sorry I attended the christening, because I couldn't hear anything anyway.

Afterward I found out that it was my friend's nephew, and he has autism. I felt bad that I had let his behavior annoy me so much, and I realized the parents had just learned to tune him out in situations such as the one we were in. The only other child I'd known with autism was very quiet and turned inward/disconnected from people, and I didn't realize that this boy's behavioral issues could also be that of an autistic child.

On the up side, about five years later I attended a barbecue at the home of the same friend, and the same little boy was there. His parents had worked with him through a local program or school. You would not have known anything was "different" about him. He was speaking just fine, playing with the other kids, listened to his father when he asked him to do something, etc. The change was amazing.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:39 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I used to brag my two year old could count to one.

"OK, show em how you can count to one."

"One."

"OK, now show em how you can count to one, backwards."

"One"

Pretty smart kid eh? Can count to one backwards and forwards.
LOL. I once read a story by a mother who would take her kid to the park where the other mothers hung out. Her son had learned the word "yellow", and if you asked him what color something was, he would say "yellow". Problem was that he said "yellow" for EVERY color. So when the other mothers were bragging about how smart their kids were, she pointed to something yellow and asked her son what color it was, just to show off.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. I once read a story by a mother who would take her kid to the park where the other mothers hung out. Her son had learned the word "yellow", and if you asked him what color something was, he would say "yellow". Problem was that he said "yellow" for EVERY color. So when the other mothers were bragging about how smart their kids were, she pointed to something yellow and asked her son what color it was, just to show off.

Speaking of colors and parents and being in public. My cousin in Buffalo NY, when she was about three or so was with her mother on a bus or at a park or something and she walked up to a black lady and pointed to the lady's arm and said something like "You need to go take a bath, you're all dirty."

What do you do? Where's the nearest rock to crawl under?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Completely agree. What amuses me about the Holier Than Thou Super SAHM's is that they are a relatively new phenomenon. They always harken back to "the old days" when moms stayed home and how much better off their kids were. No, back in the farming days, mom went to work on the farm with dad while grammy and gramps stayed home with the littlest ones.
Actually, on the farm, everyone worked. The moms and daughters did do the inside work of the house, and the childcare for kids too young to be working the farm.

"Man may work from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting