U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:50 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,569,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Did you have an unwanted child because you were careless and now regret it?
seriously

If you are the parenting forum, I doubt your in the camp of hate their children and the burden they have on your life

Though evidence suggests that the biggest driver of lower crime in the US is availability of abortion so. . theres that

Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 PM

39 posts, read 30,284 times
I'm sure most children are unwanted and most parents end up regretting them when they start causing trouble (during teenage years, especially).

Actually, kids will cause you headaches for life. Obviously no parent would ever openly admit they regret their children but I'm sure most do.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:39 PM

15,721 posts, read 13,135,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarfonLad View Post
I'm sure most children are unwanted and most parents end up regretting them when they start causing trouble (during teenage years, especially).

Actually, kids will cause you headaches for life. Obviously no parent would ever openly admit they regret their children but I'm sure most do.
That's ridiculous. This is an anonymous Internet forum, if the majority of us did regret our children we have exactly zero reason to not admit it. But most of us don't regret our children, including the surprise ones, as proven by the overwhelming lack of anonymous regret.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That's ridiculous. This is an anonymous Internet forum, if the majority of us did regret our children we have exactly zero reason to not admit it. But most of us don't regret our children, including the surprise ones, as proven by the overwhelming lack of anonymous regret.
I have a hard time understanding why people don't regret their kids even when they bring so much trouble.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:19 PM

12,902 posts, read 19,745,680 times
Because many of us have children who have not caused us heartache. Even with the ocassional blips while they mature, the positives FAR outweigh any disruptions.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:05 PM

15,721 posts, read 13,135,438 times
Quote:
I have a hard time understanding why people don't regret their kids even when they bring so much trouble.
Ok. You don't understand it.

That doesn't mean it isn't true.

My child was a "surprise" at the ripe old age of 22. Despite a graduate degree, some awesome jobs, and a few fairly impressive accomplishments, she is still the best thing that I have ever done IMO.

You really appreciate the things in life that come after hard work, stuff that you have to real work at, wouldn't you agree? There is no harder work than parenting. So it just makes sense that most of us take a real sense of accomplishment in doing it, and having our kids turn out great despite that time we dropped them on their head, or the time they coated the dog in a fine layer of vaseline and we had a screaming hissy fit in response.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:13 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,254,282 times
Quote:
The parent-child bond is an interesting thing.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My child was a "surprise" at the ripe old age of 22. Despite a graduate degree, some awesome jobs, and a few fairly impressive accomplishments, she is still the best thing that I have ever done IMO.

You really appreciate the things in life that come after hard work, stuff that you have to real work at, wouldn't you agree? There is no harder work than parenting. So it just makes sense that most of us take a real sense of accomplishment in doing it, and having our kids turn out great despite that time we dropped them on their head, or the time they coated the dog in a fine layer of vaseline and we had a screaming hissy fit in response.
My mother says the exact same thing but still the 3 of us were a lot of work. We didn't get into drugs, crime or serious issues but it still was a lot of work. Spending nights awake when we were sick, having to make sure we did our homework, had a shower, dressed properly, worrying when we started going out at night, etc. I get tired just by the thought of it.

But she still says she would do it all over again.

I get the impression men regret their children more often than women.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:36 PM

12,902 posts, read 19,745,680 times
Quote:
M
I get the impression men regret their children more often than women.
My husband would say his kids are the best thing that ever happened to him, after myself of course. Perhaps more men do regret having children, especially if the financial burden falls only on them, but I doubt, really, really doubt, most men feel that way.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:49 PM

11,223 posts, read 9,206,051 times
Quote:
Oh! Here's a solution. Raise em up right so that they don't bring so much trouble. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or