Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
I'm a cat person myself.
Same here. Low maintenance.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I'm aware that there will be critics. There are times when I will try to rebuttle what they say and they don't see the validity in my response.

I see. I guess we only see it as condescending and patronizing because we've all been told we will "change our minds." yes, I know that some of us will change our minds, but not all of us will. And were just tired of hearing that because it makes us feel like other people think that we don't know ourselves. I will admit, maybe at a young age we don't fully know who we are, but still it can get irritating.
Well if hearing so many people tell you something you don't want to hear is so irritating, I suggest you stop coming to forums filled with those types of people and asking them what they think.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,152,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I just don't get people like you. You're 19 y.o. (am I correct?) and have already rigidly decided that you aren't going to do this and that with your life and you haven't even started your life yet.

And then you get on the parent forum and start thread after thread (like on here) about being childless, etc.
LOL When I was 19 I KNEW that I wouldn't have children, be married and I CERTAINLY would not be a stay at home mom.

Fast forward 15 years. I have two kids, I'm married and I stay home with the kids. I take young adults' vows of freedom from children with a grain of salt. I know how vehemently I felt at that age and how differently I feel now.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that when/if we meet the person we want to marry, that we'll magically change our minds? I don't think so.

You really think that I am easily persuaded by the whims of a man in his desires to have kids? No. If I marry, I want to marry someone who shares the same wishes.
You'd be surprised. Very surprised.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
The human race is in no danger of dying out. When you have children, you'd be devoting the rest of your life to providing for them. I'm too selfish for that. And when you think of all the women who trap men into paying child support for 18 years, the childfree life sounds like a very viable option. Have you noticed that women use children like pawns? I've made myself sick just thinking about it.

I'd much rather have a vasectomy and play the field my whole life. When I turn 18, (only 7 months from now) I will be legally entitled to that.

What do you think?
The things you want when your 18 vs the things you want when your 30 are WORLDS apart. Do not have a vasectomy now...

Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Have kids if you want kids. Don't have kids if you don't want kids.

That may sound simplistic, but it really IS that simple.

I have kids because I really LIKE kids. Not just my kids. I like kids in general.

I'm good with kids. My own kids like me. I'm not talking about some weird relationship where the parent becomes the kid's best buddy by spoiling them. I'm talking about a genuine caring and enjoyment that's based on love and mutual respect.

I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything.

That said, people who don't want kids should be pressured into having them. In fact, though I always liked kids, I didn't WANT kids when I was 17, either.

I changed my mind 4 years later. Go figure.
Quote:
is that a typo or do you really think that those who don't want kids should be pressured into having them?

I'm pretty sure that, using reading inference, it was a typo.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM

18 posts, read 10,549 times
IMO, it's better to not have children and one day wish you had, than to have children and one day wish you hadn't.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 AM

553 posts, read 1,539,442 times
Quote:
Wooot! More CF people like me!! you're right, Im just too dang selfish to have kids!
Some people are just doing the world a favor by not breeding. That can be a win/win for everyone. If you don't want kids, then more power to you. The people who so proudly proclaim themselves as "too selfish" to have children will most likely be too selfish throughout their lives to contribute anything significant to the world around them. Whether you have kids or not, if you only live to serve your self then that's not truly living IMO. You just like the sound of your own voice too much to hear anyone else.

When your body returns to the earth, chances are pretty high that nobody will remember your name or anything about you. I know some pretty extraordinary people who never had children of their own, but by all means they were never labeled "selfish". They were very generous with their time, love and friendship and did great things for others. Those are the type of people that won't soon be forgotten when they leave us.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm pretty sure that, using reading inference, it was a typo.
One would need a grasp of logical discourse to be able to make that inference.

I suspect CMP was kinda hoping it wasn't a typo so she could argue about it with me.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 AM

13,283 posts, read 9,800,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well if hearing so many people tell you something you don't want to hear is so irritating, I suggest you stop coming to forums filled with those types of people and asking them what they think.
Exactly. I don't get this obsession with telling all and sundry how "childfree" you are. And FTR, you're not "childfree", you're just teenagers. Teenagers are supposed to be child free. There's no earthly reason why you should have children at that age, regardless of what you think you do or don't want in your future.

Geez, don't you have something else to pursue by which you define your existence? Don't you have a career planned, or an education to get, or partying to do, that you could post about? Why do you care about being "childfree" at this age? You're not special and clever and unique for having made this decision at this point. You're simply teens.

And we don't care whether you want to have children or not. We don't care enough to either judge you or look down on you, or try and change your minds. We don't give a fig. We really don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.