U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 33,300,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Back to the original question "why have kids?"

If you can't think of a reason, then don't have any. It is really quite simple. If I have a reason for wanting them, what concern is it of yours?
It's a concern of mine, IF you were a 15-year-old daughter in a disfunctional family situation, and thought that having a baby with a 17-year-old junkie on his way to prison, and living on welfare would save you from an abusive dad. I'd end up having to foot the bill, in part, for you, and your kid (since your junkie boyfriend won't be capable of child support).

It would be a concern of mine, if you choose to have a child because you need affirmation that you're a worthy human being, and thrust all the responsibility of that affirmation on a child who will grow up to become as utterly disfunctional as you are, and sending him out into the world where he might possibly become my boss, or my employee, or my nephew's wife, or the president of the united states, or whatever thing could happen.

In other words - it's really difficult for people who don't have their own kids, to NOT accept responsibility for the people who chose to have kids, but can't take care of them. Because those kids, end up being our responsibility to one extent or another, whether we like it or not.

And therefore, it IS our business, and it IS our concern.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,278,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I was tired of doing my own dishes and mowing my own grass.
Voted by numbaby as "Best Post in this Thread".

Old 06-08-2011, 04:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,278,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Another teenage mensa weighs in!

Good Lord, can't you two just admit that there is a very distinct possibility that when you actually grow up and are not children anymore you may see things through different glasses? You may actually change your minds?
No. Because they are still the same as when they were 7 and thought that kids of the opposite sex were yucky and had cooties. You know. Nothing changes in 12 years. I know I still see the world in the exact same way that I did when I was 20 (12 years ago).

Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM

24,017 posts, read 27,516,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's a concern of mine, IF you were a 15-year-old daughter in a disfunctional family situation, and thought that having a baby with a 17-year-old junkie on his way to prison, and living on welfare would save you from an abusive dad. I'd end up having to foot the bill, in part, for you, and your kid (since your junkie boyfriend won't be capable of child support).

It would be a concern of mine, if you choose to have a child because you need affirmation that you're a worthy human being, and thrust all the responsibility of that affirmation on a child who will grow up to become as utterly disfunctional as you are, and sending him out into the world where he might possibly become my boss, or my employee, or my nephew's wife, or the president of the united states, or whatever thing could happen.

In other words - it's really difficult for people who don't have their own kids, to NOT accept responsibility for the people who chose to have kids, but can't take care of them. Because those kids, end up being our responsibility to one extent or another, whether we like it or not.

And therefore, it IS our business, and it IS our concern.
I realize your opinions on this subject are a bit tainted by your personal experience. I was married, employed and 30 when my first was born. I assure you, it needn't be any concern of yours or the teens on this thread who think they are oh so wise. I think we can all agree that there are people out there who have reproduced who never should have. The majority of people don't fall into that category. And that has nothing to do with the OP in this thread.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,321,203 times
Cheap slave labor

Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM

13,262 posts, read 33,300,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I realize your opinions on this subject are a bit tainted by your personal experience. I was married, employed and 30 when my first was born. I assure you, it needn't be any concern of yours or the teens on this thread who think they are oh so wise. I think we can all agree that there are people out there who have reproduced who never should have. The majority of people don't fall into that category. And that has nothing to do with the OP in this thread.
Definitely agree with what you're saying. I'm not tainted by the way, one way or another. My personal experience is that of someone with a much less personal stake in the outcome. If my taxes go up 40 cents a year because some idiot woman thought it'd be fun to pretend she was on the pill and have a baby she had no interest in supporting, by a man with no means to support it, it wouldn't break me.

I just resent when people do that, because those 40 cent tabs add up.

And for the same reason..the SAME reason..I think kids aren't in any position to know whether or not they will want kids when they're old enough to know, while they're too inexperienced to know.

Granted, a kid whose mother and father were non-parents, who got stuck doing all the parenting to her siblings - is in MORE of a position to know whether or not she wants kids, than I am. But I'm not seeing this from the teens posting in this thread. I'm seeing pure ignorance, based on inexperience, and the very immature need to create threads for the express purpose of bringing attention to themselves.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM

27,099 posts, read 18,528,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Heh. 2 kids, in my 40's and my body kicks a thousand flavors of ass.

The fact that you seem to need endless amounts of validation and attention only further reinforces the notion that you are still quite young and immature. Perfectly normal. The fact that the first thing that comes to mind about why you wouldn't have kids is your body reinforces that you are selfish and worry about the wrong things. Again, perfectly normal. You're a child, all of it is expected and perfectly fine.

You just don't need to keep making endless threads and comments because frankly, nobody is going to take you seriously or give you all the validation and accolades you desire because you are a child. Nothing more, nothing less.
Admittedly my body isn't what it was when I was 21. My husband still likes to hit it though so who cares what other people think? LOL

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM

23,440 posts, read 29,692,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Definitely agree with what you're saying. I'm not tainted by the way, one way or another. My personal experience is that of someone with a much less personal stake in the outcome. If my taxes go up 40 cents a year because some idiot woman thought it'd be fun to pretend she was on the pill and have a baby she had no interest in supporting, by a man with no means to support it, it wouldn't break me.

I just resent when people do that, because those 40 cent tabs add up.

And for the same reason..the SAME reason..I think kids aren't in any position to know whether or not they will want kids when they're old enough to know, while they're too inexperienced to know.

Granted, a kid whose mother and father were non-parents, who got stuck doing all the parenting to her siblings - is in MORE of a position to know whether or not she wants kids, than I am. But I'm not seeing this from the teens posting in this thread. I'm seeing pure ignorance, based on inexperience, and the very immature need to create threads for the express purpose of bringing attention to themselves.
The last paragraph of anonchicks post is the wisest observation as to the mindset of the teenagers that have been posting nonsense on this thread.
Particularly the last sentence.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM

27,099 posts, read 18,528,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
That's great for you, but I can't see myself doing that. Which is why I'd be cool with that if I never marry (which is another possibility that I'm
cool with). I'm not saying I don't WANT to marry, I just don't think it's gonna happen. Plus I'm nowhere near being ready for that.
Circa 2000 Mags, is that you in a time machine?

Old 06-08-2011, 06:18 PM

1,489 posts, read 2,228,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
The human race is in no danger of dying out. When you have children, you'd be devoting the rest of your life to providing for them. I'm too selfish for that. And when you think of all the women who trap men into paying child support for 18 years, the childfree life sounds like a very viable option. Have you noticed that women use children like pawns? I've made myself sick just thinking about it.

I'd much rather have a vasectomy and play the field my whole life. When I turn 18, (only 7 months from now) I will be legally entitled to that.

What do you think?
Yes, please have a vasectomy, as children don't deserve to be unwanted.

Anyway, having kids is a choice, no one's forcing anyone to do/or not to do so. If every person in the world stopped having kids from here on out, then yes, the human race would be in danger of dying out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or