Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
The human race is in no danger of dying out. When you have children, you'd be devoting the rest of your life to providing for them. I'm too selfish for that. And when you think of all the women who trap men into paying child support for 18 years, the childfree life sounds like a very viable option. Have you noticed that women use children like pawns? I've made myself sick just thinking about it.

I'd much rather have a vasectomy and play the field my whole life. When I turn 18, (only 7 months from now) I will be legally entitled to that.

What do you think?
I think your logic needs work. If you are happy to not have children for reasons of your own you should not need to convince others why it is a great decision that you are making. Why worry about being trapped by some wily baby making machine? Making yourself sick thinking about it is illogical. Since it is guaranteed no women well sneak up on you and force you at gunpoint to have sex with her until she conceives.

Do what you want once you are a Adult and live with the consequences of your choice. One of which is that most people will think you are touched in the head and more than a little stupid. Thats what happens when you follow certain paths. Stop whining that others do not understand that you think you should be applauded for your brilliance in not wanting children. They do not see it in that way.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
The human race is in no danger of dying out. When you have children, you'd be devoting the rest of your life to providing for them. I'm too selfish for that. And when you think of all the women who trap men into paying child support for 18 years, the childfree life sounds like a very viable option. Have you noticed that women use children like pawns? I've made myself sick just thinking about it.

I'd much rather have a vasectomy and play the field my whole life. When I turn 18, (only 7 months from now) I will be legally entitled to that.

What do you think?
While you will be, legally, entitled, it's doubtful you'll find a doctor willing to perform the surgery on one so young. Believe it or not, you do not know it all. You lack life experience. It is possible you may change your mind.

That said, you should not have children unless you want them. If you find that your feelings don't change over the years, do not have kids. If you do have a vasectomy (you're still going to have to use condoms as women arne't likely to want to take the risk of sleeping with someone who is playing the field, without protection, even without the pregnancy risk) make sure it can be reversed if you change your mind.

My husband had a vasectomy after his first wife had her third child. Then they divorced and he met me. I wanted kids. He really didn't want more kids but agreed because I wanted kids. Sometimes when I watch him with our youngest daughter, I have to smile. The child he didn't want at all is the one who lights up his heart.

There is no requirement to have kids as we have plenty of people breeding. In fact, we could use for about 20% of the ones who are breeding not to breed or the ones breeding to have fewer kids and/or breed later (results in a population decrease because fewer generations are living at the same time). If you don't want them, don't have them but don't rule out changing your mind later. You are still young.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Have kids if you want kids. Don't have kids if you don't want kids.

That may sound simplistic, but it really IS that simple.

I have kids because I really LIKE kids. Not just my kids. I like kids in general.

I'm good with kids. My own kids like me. I'm not talking about some weird relationship where the parent becomes the kid's best buddy by spoiling them. I'm talking about a genuine caring and enjoyment that's based on love and mutual respect.

I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything.

That said, people who don't want kids should be pressured into having them. In fact, though I always liked kids, I didn't WANT kids when I was 17, either.

I changed my mind 4 years later. Go figure.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Ohyeah. Most doctors don't want to perform vasectomies on guys who are under 30 unless they've already had kids.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Have kids if you want kids. Don't have kids if you don't want kids.

That may sound simplistic, but it really IS that simple.

I have kids because I really LIKE kids. Not just my kids. I like kids in general.

I'm good with kids. My own kids like me. I'm not talking about some weird relationship where the parent becomes the kid's best buddy by spoiling them. I'm talking about a genuine caring and enjoyment that's based on love and mutual respect.

I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything.

That said, people who don't want kids should be pressured into having them. In fact, though I always liked kids, I didn't WANT kids when I was 17, either.

I changed my mind 4 years later. Go figure.
is that a typo or do you really think that those who don't want kids should be pressured into having them?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
is that a typo or do you really think that those who don't want kids should be pressured into having them?
Just the women.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Just the women.
Well this one isn't caving into pressure. No pun intended

Old 06-05-2011, 08:04 AM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think you should have a vasectomy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Go for it! Have that vasectomy.

I agree, go for it... get it done ASAP.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
I'm never having kids either. The OP makes some good points.

Quote:
The human race is in no danger of dying out.
Exactly. In fact, I think it would be a cool experiment to see how long it would take for humans to go extinct if everyone stopped having kids.

Quote:
When you have children, you'd be devoting the rest of your life to providing for them. I'm too selfish for that.
Same here. Call me selfish, but at least I know what I want.

By the way, you might not be providing for them for the rest of your life, but you would be providing for them long enough to make me not want kids.

And in a way, you're right that you would be providing for them for the rest of your life. Because the money you'd spend on them now would impact how much money you have when you're older.

Quote:
And when you think of all the women who trap men into paying child support for 18 years, the childfree life sounds like a very viable option. Have you noticed that women use children like pawns?
Exactly. I'd hate to pay child support to someone I hate for 18 years. And a lot of times, they don't care about the kids. They just want the money.

But 2 warnings

1. I think you need to be 21 to get a vasectomy
2. Vasectomies have been known to fail.

I never want kids either, but I stay celibate.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:16 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I'd just like to point out one thing. Most kids in their late teens/early 20's ARE selfish. That is the time in your life when you are supposed to be selfish. You usually aren't married, have no children, and are supposed to be busy finding yourself and figuring out what you want to do with your life. I guess the kids on C-D are soooo lucky - because they have already figured out everything and they already know everything! It's been so wonderful getting to hear the vast knowledge that they have to depart! I've learned so much from them! It's good that they haven't learned anything from us since we have no more life exeperience than they do and they have nothing to learn from us!

I think I'm going to find a doctor who will perform vasectomies and tubal ligations on kids so that we don't have to hear about this anymore!!! It's getting ridiculous! Ack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting