U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM

368 posts, read 768,702 times

Advertisements

My 20-month-old is now obsessed with going potty because of his older brother who is 4 and even barging in on me . When he sees me, he immediately starts rolling out toilet paper to, um, help me out. If I ask my older son to go to the bathroom before we leave home, the baby starts to pull down his shorts and undo his diaper. The undoing the diaper phase has begun since we've found him in crib without pants and a diaper. TG he didn't have anything serious going on in it when he did it! Right before bath, my little also lifts the lid to the toilet, leans against it "going pee pee" although he's not tall enough to do it standing up, and then closes the lid as if all done.

How much should I really be trying with him at this point? Is it curiosity or a true desire to start learning? I just felt bad the other day when I was trying to get out of the house with the kids and he started to take off his pants and walk to the bathroom when I said, "Not yet" and scooped him up to take him to the car. He was a little upset with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Ode

298 posts, read 669,886 times
Sure he is old enough if he is interested on his own and understands the concept. He would be proficient at it for quite awhile, but he can indeed be able to go without a diaper at his own home during the day. He will still need a diaper at night and for naps, and he may have accidents because he misjudged the sensation of needing to go. get some training pants and let him try. This is the perfect time for it, because he can be in less clothing for the summer while he learns to understand his body and how to control it. Take advantage of his desire to be a big boy like his brother, and give him lots of praise for successes and encouragement when he fails. You might be surprised at how quickly he learns, My youngest was potty trained at 2 because she initiated it. Not for naps, or at night, and yes she had accidents. But it surprised me at how quickly she learned to control herself.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,995,988 times
I say if he's interested in potty training, run with it! 20 months is young but not bizarrely so, IMO.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:26 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,525,274 times
He's definitely showing signs. Now is the time to encourage him and see how far you can take it. Friends of ours had their 18 month old about 90% potty trained as they started when she showed interest.

For me, my almost 3 year old is pretty much potty trained, but needs a pullup for nighttime. Her 19 month old sister has started going into the bathroom when she goes and sits on the little potty chair next to the toilet and mimics her sister. We've started encouraging it, but she hasn't actually gone yet. IMO, there's no such thing as too soon if they are showing interest.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,469,841 times
Don't try to get anything done, or go anywhere on time. Just plan with children, that if you want to be some place by 10, to start getting everyone ready at 7. Yep, they see their siblings doing it, and want to do the same to be "big"...

Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 PM

12,440 posts, read 14,569,865 times
sounds like it's something he wants to do...I would definately encourage and support him anytime he wants to use the potty.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,210,056 times
Just get a little potty and have it there for him.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:01 PM

24,472 posts, read 28,750,429 times
normally at that age, I'd say don't bother. but if he's showing interest, go for it! Expect some regression along the way, though.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM

402 posts, read 1,208,201 times
Cool It's Potty Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
My 20-month-old is now obsessed with going potty . . . Is it curiosity or a true desire to start learning? I just felt bad the other day when I was trying to get out of the house with the kids and he started to take off his pants and walk to the bathroom when I said, "Not yet" and scooped him up to take him to the car. He was a little upset with me.
He has the interest and many 20-month-olds have the ability to use the potty. Get him his own little potty and get used to waiting.

When my son was about that age he used to take a book with him and announce, "I might be in here for a while." LOL
He used to take little board books everywhere, so I guess it made sense to him.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,956,329 times
I agree that 20 months is fine. I know a few who potty trained at that age or younger. My oldest was completely day trained at 24 months with pretty much no effort on my part. One day she just sort of got it, and for a week she had a dry diaper and used the potty. So I put her in unders and that was that. My younger is a different story and gets holding it now, but doesn't get going in the potty. She will hold it if she doesn't have a diaper on, but she will ask for a diaper when she needs to go. Half way there I guess.

I agree to get him his own little potty that he can reach and will have access to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting