Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,755 times

Advertisements

My son is 5 years old and his talking and inquisitiveness at times is cute and funny, but he talks almost non-stop! He asks a million questions a day (somewhat understandable; child curiosity and all) but if I give him the correct answer he disagrees with me anyway and wants to debate about it. So I just say "ok, whatever, you're right" even if he's wrong (I'm not arguing with a child LOL) It's gotten to the point where it's invasive. He butts into adult conversations and ask "who?", "you talking to me?" and replies and repeats what we say. He's loud and can't sit still even to eat! It's hard for anyone in the house to watch TV and movies without him talking and asking questions throughout. As soon as he wakes up he says random things! It starts as soon as the day begins on until he falls asleep (which is difficult; he's a night owl and refuses naps!) He's bossy (at least with his cousin) but has a lot of friends at school and in the neighborhood. His teachers says he's very hyper, talkative, and doesn't nap sometimes but is smart and ahead of most of the class. I don't think he has ADD. Sometimes I get so frustrated in his constant talking and hyperactivity that I yell at him to shut up and sit down! This makes me feel so terrible! He's involved in football and gymnastics, and we do other activities such as going to the waterparks, movie theater etc, but it doesn't tire him enough. OH, and when he is tired, he fights his sleep! He just doesn't fall asleep like I see his cousins do. I don't know how to calm him down or teach him that he needs to be quiet at times. Any advice from someone that is, or has been in the same situation with their young children is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
He's smart! Teach him to read ASAP and make sure he has a library card. Seriously. You've described 3/4's of the people in my family and the only way to get anyone to shut up is to hand them a book.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Congratulations, it's a boy!

Seriously most young boys are like this. As Dew said it's the sign of a bright young lad. One day in the not too distant future you'll be lucky to get 2 words out of him, so make the most of it now.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,504 times
What would you like to know about animals? From the ages of 3-8 or so my oldest talked and asked non-stop questions about animals. Not ducks or cats mind you, red spotted flat fish that only swim in the Adriatic was on our particular menu.

Like Dew said..get him a library card. There is a reason (other than his sheer brilliance) that he was able to read at the age of 4.

EDit...oops it was Dew, not Hopes

Old 06-08-2011, 06:59 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
My son is 5 years old and his talking and inquisitiveness at times is cute and funny, but he talks almost non-stop! He asks a million questions a day (somewhat understandable; child curiosity and all) but if I give him the correct answer he disagrees with me anyway and wants to debate about it. So I just say "ok, whatever, you're right" even if he's wrong (I'm not arguing with a child LOL) It's gotten to the point where it's invasive. He butts into adult conversations and ask "who?", "you talking to me?" and replies and repeats what we say. He's loud and can't sit still even to eat! It's hard for anyone in the house to watch TV and movies without him talking and asking questions throughout. As soon as he wakes up he says random things! It starts as soon as the day begins on until he falls asleep (which is difficult; he's a night owl and refuses naps!) He's bossy (at least with his cousin) but has a lot of friends at school and in the neighborhood. His teachers says he's very hyper, talkative, and doesn't nap sometimes but is smart and ahead of most of the class. I don't think he has ADD. Sometimes I get so frustrated in his constant talking and hyperactivity that I yell at him to shut up and sit down! This makes me feel so terrible! He's involved in football and gymnastics, and we do other activities such as going to the waterparks, movie theater etc, but it doesn't tire him enough. OH, and when he is tired, he fights his sleep! He just doesn't fall asleep like I see his cousins do. I don't know how to calm him down or teach him that he needs to be quiet at times. Any advice from someone that is, or has been in the same situation with their young children is appreciated.

My 4 year old is much like this too. She talks and talks, and questions and argues. Usually, just the "um hm, yes, ok, you're right," works, because it does take WAY too much energy to argue and try to convince them!

As far as the hyperactivity, all I can suggest is do as much physical activity with him as possible. Not movies, but something where he's actually moving, running, doing something. Then give him a strict bedtime. My DD doesn't want to fall asleep when she's supposed to either, but she has to stay in her room and in her bed. I don't care if she's just staring at the ceiling, or even a book. After a full, active day, a five year old is tired and he will fall asleep eventually, whether he wants to or not. If he's tired in the mornings, try giving him an earlier bedtime.

I had to work on her being rude and interrupting adults when they're talking as well. When I'm on the phone, she's right there. "Who are you talking to? Can I talk?" Or butting in the conversation. I told her to say "excuse me" if she must interrupt, but then she just stood there saying "excuse me? excuse me?" over and over, still interrupting. When I point blank said to her, "You're being VERY rude," she looked ashamed and a little embarrassed, and she cut it out. Now, whenever she behaves like that, just telling her that chills her out a bit.

I don't know what will work for you son, but good luck. I know they can be sweet, precious, and very aggravating at this age! Don't feel bad about losing it at times. I understand it takes an awful lot of patience to deal with a very active, inquisitive child, and they tend to use it all up. Sometimes I have to completely tune out, or leave the room. Sometimes I literally pray for just five minutes of quiet. Sometimes I cannot wait for her to go to bed, like a kid waiting for Santa! I sit and look at the clock, counting down to bedtime. I love my DD with all my heart and soul, and I love her chatter, but at times I do need a break from it.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
My grandson was like this. Ever since he was a baby, he required very little sleep. His parents even had to get one of those crib covers to keep him in his crib at night. He didn't even nap.
Your son sounds like this. My grandson was the baby of the family and I think his parents let him get away with a bit too much. Like, when he acted up they tended to think it was cute, while others around him thought it was not so cute.
When he gets in first grade your son will hopefully have a teacher who demands that your son adhere to the structure of the class. He will need to learn to be quiet at the appropriate times. You need to work on his not interrupting adults.
I think he will be fine, but you need to not just check out and accept bad behavior out of laziness.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:04 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,330 times
That is my DD too. She even talks in her sleep. grr. If she can't think of something to say, she makes random noises or makes up words and the definitions to go with the made up words. It is exhausting. She stopped napping before she turned 2, so I understand that too.

Luckily, she is good at school or other places that she needs to be quiet, but still trying to find a way to make her be quite for just 5 minutes. Did I mention that I am on my back porch right now so that I could get some quiet for a few minutes?

btw, reading didn't help with her. She just reads aloud while walking through the house and then wants to tell me all about the story when she is done.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
I was going to bold the parts that sound like my son, but it is the whole post! He wakes up and is alert and ready to converse at 6 am. He often asks a question and doesn't even pause long enough for me to answer before he is repeating the question. He also always wants to know what DH and I are talking about. FWIW, at the age of 7 he was finally diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (sensory seeker), and according to his OT and therapist, shows signs of ADHD. We haven't done an official eval for that.

If you think it could be SPD, read "the out of sync child". There are different types (sensory seeker vs sensory avoider). DS fits the seeker description perfectly. He's now in weekly OT.

Sorry. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

PS - everyone from my husband to doctors said "he's just a boy" for years before I finally found someone who would listen to me. It isn't just talking a lot, though. There are other things going on.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
I hear ya. My daughter who is 9 now is a talker. I say she comes by it naurally, her Grandma is a talker. As previous posters have said, get him into reading that may help. My daughter sometimes just talks to talk, she will even just make noise. She asks questions all the time and some are just out of nowhere. As an example while driving to Wal-mart one day when my daughter was around 4 year old she asked me why some people believe God created everything and others think we came from monkeys, she had watched a National Geographic show about the first upright walking monkey about a month before.

We have devised a 5 minute rule. When she is talking too much we say the 5 minute rule is in effect, and she can't talk or make any noise for 5 minutes.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM

149 posts, read 326,246 times
If he is reading library card if not you can read to him.

leapster type electronic game. He can play and learn at the same time.
It seems you keep him busy enough with extracurricular activities.

Enjoy him now because there will come a day (teenage years) when he will not want to talk to you.
Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting